The Defence Rests

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccole

Player Valuation: £35m
The idea or notion that wing-backs gallop up and down the flanks with neat 1-2’s then float balls onto the path of our attacking front is GONE!

Our lack of striker (Boo Hoo) who can’t hold the ball up so our defence is struggling is the worst excuse we can use.

We need to readjustment to the fact that our defence has zero pace all over so bombing forward headlessly makes no sense but to curve the tread of the modern Wing-Back.

We have to drop this because it is costing us goal, after goal, after goal.

The only way we can get width into this side and also relieve the back four is an option to play out not just hood and run.

The non striker/big man is a has-been tactic which plays to non of our strengths, if we have any.

Unsworth must see this as one of THE most ungallivanting full back in history (see Phil Stamp) that an organised FLAT BACK FOUR which keeps shape and allows wingers to do their jobs i.e. create, get behind and put pressure on our opponents defence.

Sort it out Rhino

Formations and starting XI's really don't matter at this point - every player at the club right now is in one hell of a rut and it's hard to tell when they're going to drag themselves out of it.

I've seen us with Watson and Gough as centre backs and neither had any pace between them at that stage of their career. What they did have was nouse and used all of their experience.

I see none of that with Williams, Jags, Keane and Baines. I see players trying to win balls that aren't there to be won, I see players being out muscled against weaker opposition, I see some of the worst marking i can remember in the 30 odd years of watching Everton.

The defence is shambolic and something quite dramatic needs to be done such as trying Besic as a centre back or stick him left back.

Try something, anything becsuse it's just madness selecting the same piss poor excuse of players

The one thing that has been obvious to me in watching this shambles for the last few games is the collective defensive ball-watching.

When we are under attack, our players funnel (or quite often jog...) back but are all drawn like moths to where the ball is, and consequently, with a deft cross to take out 6 defenders, opposition attackers are left in the box completely unmarked in the gaps behind everyone.

Take a look at the replays of goals we've conceded of late - it's uncanny.

The one thing that has been obvious to me in watching this shambles for the last few games is the collective defensive ball-watching.

When we are under attack, our players funnel (or quite often jog...) back but are all drawn like moths to where the ball is, and consequently, with a deft cross to take out 6 defenders, opposition attackers are left in the box completely unmarked in the gaps behind everyone.

Take a look at the replays of goals we've conceded of late - it's uncanny.
They all move to the ball but somehow contrive to manage not to put the player on the ball under any sort of pressure. It's bizarre.

They all move to the ball but somehow contrive to manage not to put the player on the ball under any sort of pressure. It's bizarre.

Very true.

It seems as if every player is now being sent on to the pitch expected to take personal responsibility for being the Roy of the Rovers hero/ game changer, such than any sense of collective structure is abandoned.

We need to learn to play and fight as a team again.

We've conceded 3 goals or more 6 times this season. The defence is utterly atrocious, and I can't fathom for the life of me why Unsworth hasn't focused on making us hard to beat and get some clean sheets.

He kinda did try that his first few games, but with them both being cup games (one must win EL) as soon as he had to open up a little bit we got carved open, when we play for a draw mate as well is when we just get bmmed and eventually collapse at the end anyway.

Simply - i don't know exactly what this team can do as long as certain players are having to play due to not having any other options rather than trusting a 19yo cb etc

Status
Not open for further replies.