The consistency of change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azza

Player Valuation: £80m
Since Sam came in the PL we have used the following back lines...

Kenny - Holgate - Williams - Martina | 5 times | 3 W 2D
Kenny - Jags - Keane - Martina | 1 time | 1D
Kenny - Holgate - Williams - Keane - Martina | 1 time | 1D
Kenny - Keane - Jags - Martina | 1 time | 1L
Holgate - Keane - Williams - Martina | 1 time | 1L
Kenny - Holgate - Jags - Martina | 1 time | 1L
Coleman - Jags - Keane - Martina | 1 time | 1W
Kenny - Keane - Williams - Mangala - Martina | 1 time | 1L
Coleman - Keane - Mangala - Martina | 1 time | 1W
Kenny - Keane - Williams - Martina | 1 time | 1L
Coleman - Keane - Williams - Martina | 1 time | 1L

So out of those 15 games, 9 games where we've picked up points, won 5 and drawn 4:

Kenny | 7 apps
Holgate | 6 apps
Williams | 6 apps
Martina | 9 apps

Are the players with the most apps in those games.

Koeman was notorious for changing our backline every other game until his demise, there was a point where Keane had a different right back for like 5 or 6 games in a row! For Big Sam after a good start of Kenny - Holgate - Williams - Martina getting a few wins and some draws he has gone back into that mode as well.

Bare 5 games, where we were undefeated with the above players, he's used a different back line in the other 10 games!! 10 games about of the 15 he's managed in the PL!

I know Williams has been terrible recently, but him with Holgate was actually working really well.

Teams such as Brighton, Burnley, Swansea since Carvalhal came in, barely change their defensive line.

Given Sam is into his stats how about the stat that Keane - Williams as a pairing have lost every game together! And only drawn 1 when they were in a back 5!

Look at Brighton yesterday, Hughton could have added another CB during the last 15 minutes, which Sam would have defintely done but he didn't want to distrupt Duffy - Dunk. The subs he made were like for like every time.

Not hard to work out that consitency can only be a good thing for your defenders, goalkeeper and results!

I agree that the Holgate - Williams combo was working well for a time.. and then it got messed with.

With Williams now banned and Keane bang out of form surely then it's natural that we try Holgate and Funes Mori together? If they're fit for Brighton then go for it, and barring any disasters we should stick with it for a few games at the very least.

Reactions: JLW
I agree that the Holgate - Williams combo was working well for a time.. and then it got messed with.

With Williams now banned and Keane bang out of form surely then it's natural that we try Holgate and Funes Mori together? If they're fit for Brighton then go for it, and barring any disasters we should stick with it for a few games at the very least.

Put Coleman and Baines with those 2 and although a bit rusty it seems at the moment to be our best back 4

Exactly what I'm thinking as well.

If Baines isn't fit then I'd really try Garbutt for a couple of games with Coleman - Holgate - Funes Mori.

I actually think that RFM might not be involved for Brighton anyway. Think I remember Allardyce suggesting that we'll be monitoring him on international duty to see how he gets on.. possibly meaning that he won't be seeing game time for us before then?

Good post this mate, hat off to you.
I thought Holgate was playing ok for a while, why drop him.
I also think there’s a player in Funes Mori, I used to feel for him a little when he was getting stick. I’ve said it before on here, he looked to me like a kid in a new school and not really looking like he felt he belonged. This could be a great time for him to shine. The way he plays reminds me of Dave Watson, I’m not comparing him to Waggy or saying he could ever be as good, but his no nonsense style and willingness to get stuck into forwards is similar.

Good post this mate, hat off to you.
I thought Holgate was playing ok for a while, why drop him.
I also think there’s a player in Funes Mori, I used to feel for him a little when he was getting stick. I’ve said it before on here, he looked to me like a kid in a new school and not really looking like he felt he belonged. This could be a great time for him to shine. The way he plays reminds me of Dave Watson, I’m not comparing him to Waggy or saying he could ever be as good, but his no nonsense style and willingness to get stuck into forwards is similar.
It baffles me the amount of times he gets his head on the end of one of our corners, but when defending them he’s nowhere near it! I like his attitude and he doesn’t shirk away from tackles but when he’s got the ball at his feet he scares me.

It baffles me the amount of times he gets his head on the end of one of our corners, but when defending them he’s nowhere near it! I like his attitude and he doesn’t shirk away from tackles but when he’s got the ball at his feet he scares me.
The ball at his feet yes, I’ll give you that. Maybe a run in the side will help build his confidence.

I don’t think it will be a good idea to play a back four, when all the players you want to play haven’t played for a while.

Having Seamus back is a bonus but he is not going to be 100% until next season. I love Baines but he is, at best, a squad player now.

Holgate and Mori is a decent shout but when does Mori get back from international duty? They need to train together for a while before starting together in yet another new combination in front of Pickford.

I don't really think we can make any meaningful changes until the end of the season, fat sam is out and we have, hopefully, a new sense of purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.