The case for Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
He need's more time.

This being said, he needs to make quick changes in terms of tactic's and his general demeanour.

(1) Bin the zonal defending now.
(2) Decide on a 'best' 11, and stick with it.
(3) Show some passion on the sideline and in press conferences, we don't desire a beaut like Klopp, but
look like it's hurting.

As a club, the managerial merry-go-round, needs to cease for us.

I do fear that if we suffer the usual derby debacle, the momentum in the media and from sections of the terraces, will see him on incredibly thin ice.

A real shame, as we all wanted it work.

Up to the derby we played 13 games and were beaten 4 times; we were 6th going into that derby on a run of picking up 16 points of the previous 21 available (including a well thought out and fought for draw at Chelsea) and playing football that had most making a favourable comparison with what'd gone before. I'd say going into the derby we'd played above expectation.

The real issue is not whether Silva has the strategic thinking to be a good PL manager, it's whether he has the ability to dig in and stop a downturn deepening - because it's happened elsewhere. That;s a conversation he needs to have with his DoF in the summer when they assess what needs to be done here in terms of his own personal development. The DoF also has to inform Silva what he's going to do recruitment wise to lay the foundations for that development and make it a reality.

A season lasts for 38 games. Martinez’s Efc career lasted for 3 seasons.

The team fails to beat a team that seat above them in the table. And when you are happy with 11th come Christmas then nothing should be changed is it Dave?

He need's more time.

This being said, he needs to make quick changes in terms of tactic's and his general demeanour.

(1) Bin the zonal defending now. - absolutely no sign he is going to do this and is sticking with his system.

(2) Decide on a 'best' 11, and stick with it. - whichever side he picks will get its detractors but I agree it’s a good starting point.

(3) Show some passion on the sideline and in press conferences, we don't desire a beaut like Klopp, but look like it's hurting. - something his predecessor Koeman was roasted for by the fans, but Silva seems to get away with it.

As a club, the managerial merry-go-round, needs to cease for us.

I do fear that if we suffer the usual derby debacle, the momentum in the media and from sections of the terraces, will see him on incredibly thin ice.

A real shame, as we all wanted it work.

See my comments within

Up to the derby we played 13 games and were beaten 4 times; we were 6th going into that derby on a run of picking up 16 points of the previous 21 available (including a well thought out and fought for draw at Chelsea) and playing football that had most making a favourable comparison with what'd gone before. I'd say going into the derby we'd played above expectation.

The real issue is not whether Silva has the strategic thinking to be a good PL manager, it's whether he has the ability to dig in and stop a downturn deepening - because it's happened elsewhere. That;s a conversation he needs to have with his DoF in the summer when they assess what needs to be done here in terms of his own personal development. The DoF also has to inform Silva what he's going to do recruitment wise to lay the foundations for that development and make it a reality.

You're grasping on to a trivial league position after 13 games and a single fixture.

It's bizarre.

No way have Everton performed above expectations under Marco Silva. As I said;

Teams Everton have beat this season.

Southampton, Rotherham, Fulham, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Cardiff, Burnley, Lincoln, Bournemouth, Huddersfield

That's it.

Big thrill.

Before Liverpool (an odd milestone), but whatever;

HOME
Southampton - W
Rotherham - W
Huddersfield - D
West Ham - L
Fulham - W
Southampton - L
Crystal Palace - W
Brighton - W
Cardiff - W

AWAY
Wolves - D
Bournemouth - D
Arsenal - L
Leicester - W
Man Utd - L
Chelsea - D
Liverpool - L

That's alright, it's not above expectations it's a 'decent' start but still, we missed a real opportunity with the very favourable opening set of fixtures.

Since the derby - the fixtures have been more difficult. The home games of Fulhams, Brightons and Cardiffs replaced by Spurs, Wolves, Man City's...

HOME
Newcastle - D
Watford - D
Tottenham - L
Leicester - L
Lincoln - W
Bournemouth - W
Wolves - L
Man City - L

AWAY
Man City - L
Burnley - W
Brighton - L
Southampton - L
Millwall - L
Huddersfield - L

To date, I don't think the fella couldn't have done any worse. The cherry on the cake was him being dumped out of both cup competitions to weak opposition.

Just wait until the next 2 months pass - he's doomed.

Other things to add:

• He's been here just 7 months. It's way too short a period to judge him on
  • We were perfroming above expectations before the derby (after which point we performed at below expectations), so we know this feller can get a tune out of a team
  • The preseason that we needed to work on effective defensive positioning for set pieces was simply not there due to injuries to both CBs brought in last summer...a situation which stretched well into the season
  • A goalkeeper having a calamitous season

More points to add ;-

Has had time and more now.
Keeps changing the team.
Poor subbing
Has not got a clue it seem regards defence for free kicks
Always blames some one else, players, ref never holds his hand that HE got it wrong.
Previous record - Hull, Watford.

You're grasping on to a trivial league position after 13 games and a single fixture.

It's bizarre.

No way have Everton performed above expectations under Marco Silva. As I said;

That's it.

Big thrill.

Before Liverpool (an odd milestone), but whatever;

HOME
Southampton - W
Rotherham - W
Huddersfield - D
West Ham - L
Fulham - W
Southampton - L
Crystal Palace - W
Brighton - W
Cardiff - W

AWAY
Wolves - D
Bournemouth - D
Arsenal - L
Leicester - W
Man Utd - L
Chelsea - D
Liverpool - L

That's alright, it's not above expectations it's a 'decent' start but still, we missed a real opportunity with the very favourable opening set of fixtures.

Since the derby - the fixtures have been more difficult. The home games of Fulhams, Brightons and Cardiffs replaced by Spurs, Wolves, Man City's...

HOME
Newcastle - D
Watford - D
Tottenham - L
Leicester - L
Lincoln - W
Bournemouth - W
Wolves - L
Man City - L

AWAY
Man City - L
Burnley - W
Brighton - L
Southampton - L
Millwall - L
Huddersfield - L

To date, I don't think the fella couldn't have done any worse. The cherry on the cake was him being dumped out of both cup competitions to weak opposition.

Just wait until the next 2 months pass - he's doomed.

You can't really call the derby an 'odd milestone' when it's pretty evident our form dipped massively after that, regardless of who we'd played.

You can only beat what's in front of you, etc, and Dave's absolutely right in saying that we were playing well in that run up to the derby.

He could definitely have done worse. Thank God he hasn't.

We are also very fortunate that the rest of the teams around us are complete tosh.

Would have no real complaints if he was sacked but realistically I just think we'd be in the same boat. We need to get to the summer and if Silva does go, then the replacement needs to be correct. I'm sick of it now. This squad is a bloated mess and would be for most managers.

The thing with Koeman was when Usmanov & Moshiri were at Arsenal he was their fav choice to succeed Wenger and it remained with Moshiri when he bought us.
Granted it was the wrong choice but his performance at Southampton wasnt too bad at all

Southampton was possibly the best thing on his managers CV. Its was ok ish at best. Im not in the business of employing managers but even i could spend 5 mins looking at his track record and go no thanks.
Worrying that moshiri went for him and now silva.

Just a question.......
This season is a write of now. We will finish somewhere between 8 and 12th position I guess depending on if he gets confidence up or not.
If we could predict the future....
So would you keep Silva IF next season we came in at the same 8-12th position band BUT.... the season after we would get 5th?
I honestly think this is the level of our ambition and possibility at the moment as we work our way out of Koemageddon and the Walsh sack of crap era.

We had some great performances against good sides where we were unlucky not to get more out of the games, mainly due to the poor finishing. Our terrible run of form smacks of confidence loss and the squads mental fragility more than anything else to me, which is a deep rooted problem from previous years. It's incredible how the derby loss ie Pickfords moronic gaff has shaken us to the core. Until then and probably now we put in the best performance of any team at Klanfield.

I hope he stays miserable and moody on the touchline. Give me that any day over all the clowns we have now in the PL. Personality wise i mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.