The 2 years since Martinez left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course Martinez did fantastic to get us 72 points in his first season and his conduct as Everton manager cannot be criticised. He seemed to actually ‘get’ what being an Everton manager was and embraced working for such a big club. However the decline over the last 2 years of his tenure can’t be denied, the lack of attention brought to defending in general made the sacking of a decent man inevitable.

At the time that Martinez left I felt we had a good team who were under-performing massively. We had several players who were of real value in the transfer market if sold (primarily Stones, Lukaku and Barkley). 2 years later we have a team that I don't think is under-performing to the same degree - they are just not very good - and little in terms of players with any significant sell on value. Player recruitment has been almost universally abysmal for the past 2 years and we are now left with numerous players who it will be very difficult to move on because of their salaries etc. I've no idea how much we have available to spend this summer, but I fear it will not be a huge amount and that the bulk of the dross we currently have will still be stinking the gaff out come the start of next season.

Its scary to think some people probably prefer the football we play now than the football we played under Martinez. Give Martinez the 200 million we gave Koeman and I am sure he would of bought players who would of fit into his style of play. But he still had to go at the time, he lost the dressing room, just like Koeman did, the players also need to take some responsibility. No question a clear out is needed.

At the time that Martinez left I felt we had a good team who were under-performing massively. We had several players who were of real value in the transfer market if sold (primarily Stones, Lukaku and Barkley). 2 years later we have a team that I don't think is under-performing to the same degree - they are just not very good - and little in terms of players with any significant sell on value. Player recruitment has been almost universally abysmal for the past 2 years and we are now left with numerous players who it will be very difficult to move on because of their salaries etc. I've no idea how much we have available to spend this summer, but I fear it will not be a huge amount and that the bulk of the dross we currently have will still be stinking the gaff out come the start of next season.
Great post, sadly I fear the same.

Ha ha - as soon as Roberto’s approach had supplanted Moyes’ the team went in free fall. I cannot remember a performance as dire as that Europa League exit.

Oh right....what about the absolute tanking we took in Lisbon against Benfica when Moyes tried to get a dozen right backs in the team without any of them playing right-back? He nearly got chinned in the airport that night coming back it was that bad. And our 1-8 aggregate molesting by Atalanta under Ronald McDonald, especially the first leg where a Mick Quinn-esque striker tore our back four a new one each.

Martinez side was eminently more interesting to watch than the tenures that we’re directly before and after him.

2014/15 - Martinez - Position 11th, Points 47 from 38 games
2015/16 - Martinez - Position 12th, Points 44 from 37 games

2016/17 - Koeman - Position 7th, Points 61 from 38 games
2017/18 - Koeman/Unsworth/Allardyce - Position 9th, Points 42 from 34 games

How was he better than all who came after him? Koeman beat his points total by 14+ points last season and BFS is likely to do it this season, or at least match his total.
As above?

1 season out of 3 with pretty much Moyes' team at the beginning. Consecutive 13th placed finishes and a relegation with Wigan doesn't make him a better manager than Koeman or Allardyce.
All rubbish part at the end though...

Edit. I’d still pick him over the other two and back him financially.

Why the 2 years since that man left?

We've been nothing waaaaay longer than that.
Spot on ijjy....if you consider that Moyes overstayed his tenure by quite a few years and then look at the other crap managers such as Smith and walker it has been downhill since we last WON the league (except for '95 under Royle). Martinez was false dawn for three quarters of a season leading to the Koeman disaster and the panic Sam appointment....it's a long way back in my opinion...

I know this is arbitrary; but, it always felt like we could win the fixture under Martinez. That the quality and game plan were there and we just needed the young boys to execute. The only issues I ever had were that we relied on Barry too much as his legs were gone, and we didn’t get the best out of Deulofeo.

This past year, I genuinely go into every match with major questions regarding the strategy of the team selection. I mean, I can’t be the only one who turned to their spouse after seeing that arsenal team selection and said, “Ramsey is going to have so much space I bet he scores a hat trick.” How can a Professional manager week in and week out choose a team that every fan on the couch can identify glaring tactical errors in?

I thought and still think the Martinez sacking was the right call.

I was excited for Koeman, and he has probably done more financial damage to Everton than any one man in history.

Allardyce’s employment with Everton was and still is akin to the organization spitting in the face of every fan as they find their seats each match day.

So in hindsight the sacking of Roberto Martinez was only the right call in that we all believed Everton FC had more respect for it’s fans than the organization has showcased through it’s actions over the years since.

Oh right....what about the absolute tanking we took in Lisbon against Benfica when Moyes tried to get a dozen right backs in the team without any of them playing right-back? He nearly got chinned in the airport that night coming back it was that bad. And our 1-8 aggregate molesting by Atalanta under Ronald McDonald, especially the first leg where a Mick Quinn-esque striker tore our back four a new one each.

Martinez side was eminently more interesting to watch than the tenures that we’re directly before and after him.
More interesting in season one maybe.....

Worst home record in our history in final season.Turned one of the tightest defences to one of that was letting 3 goals in regularly. Back to back 4 0's against the RS on his cv with the first one being THE WORST tactical set up I have ever seen in 40 yrs as a season ticket holder. Phenomenal!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.