The £600mil+ spend narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
Weve been reading alot about how much money the club has spent under Moshiri and also how the playing squad has become worse under his ownership.

I've checked through a few sources for each incoming/outgoing and while will never be 'exact' i think we've spent £222.75mil as a net figure.

This works out at £37.125mil net spend per season.

Looking at our squad when Moshiri joined and now...you can see where the money has gone.

I dont think its as bad as it has been claimed.

2016/17

Incoming
Bolasie £25mil
Schneiderlin £20mil
Williams £12mil
Lookman £7.5mil
Gana £7.1mil
DCL £1.5mil

Outgoing
Stones £47.5mil
Gibson £2.25mil
Oviedo £1.8mil

Incoming total = £73.1mil
Outgoing total = 51.55mil

Net = £19.55mil

2017/18

Incoming
Sigurdsson £44mil
Keane £25mil
Pickford £25mil
Klaassen £23.6mil
Walcott £20mil
Tosun £18mil
Vlasic £8mil
Onyekuru £7mil

Outgoing
Lukaku £75mil
Barkley £15mil
Deulofeu £10mil
Cleverley £8mil
Lennon £1.5mil
Barry £1mil

Incoming Total = £170.6mil
Outgoing Total = £110.5mil

Net = £60.1mil

2018/19

Incoming
Richarlison £35mil
Mina £27mil
Digne £18mil

Outgoing
Klaassen £12mil
Funes Mori £8mil
Browning £4mil

Incoming Total = £80mil
Outgoing Total = £24mil

Net = £56mil

2019/20

Incoming
Iwobi £27mil
Kean £24mil
Gomes £22mil
Gbamin £22mil
Delph £8.5mil

Outgoing
Gana £28mil
Vlasic £20mil
Lookman £16mil
Onyekuru £12mil
McCarthy £3mil

Incoming Total = £103.5
Outgoing Total = £79mil

Net = £24.5mil

2020/21

Incoming
Godfrey £25mil
Allan £21mil
Doucoure £20mil

Outgoing
Schneiderlin £2mil
Dowell £2mil

Incoming Total = £66mil
Outgoing Total = £4mil

Net = £62mil

2021/22

Incoming
Mykolenko £17mil
Patterson £11mil
Gray £1.6mil

Outgoing
Digne £23mil
James £7mil
Bernard £1mil

Incoming Total = £29.6mil
Outgoing Total = £31mil

Net = £1.4mil

Under Moshiri

Incoming = £522.8mil
Outgoing = £300.05

Net = £222.75mil

2016/2017 Team

GK: Howard (37)
LB: Baines (31)
CB: Jagielka (33)
CB: Stones (22)
RB: Coleman (27)
CM: Barry (35)
AM: Barkley (22)
CM: McCarthy (25)
LF: Deulofeu (22)
CF: Lukaku (24)
RF: Mirallas (29)

Avg age = 27.9
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2016

Current Team

GK: Pickford (28)
LB: Mykolenko (22)
CB: Godfrey (24)
CB: Mina (27)
RB: Patterson (20)
CM: Allan (31)
AM: Iwobi (26)
CM: Doucoure (29)
LF: Richarlison (24)
CF: Calvert-Lewin (25)
RF: Gordon (21)

Avg age = 25.18
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2021

I thought that Sky thing said it was 400m net? Any idea what’s causing the big difference?

I will say the average age thing can be a bit misleading - if you put in Coleman for Patterson, and understanding that keeper age is pretty different to anyone else, it suddenly doesn’t look so young

I thought that Sky thing said it was 400m net? Any idea what’s causing the big difference?

I will say the average age thing can be a bit misleading - if you put in Coleman for Patterson, and understanding that keeper age is pretty different to anyone else, it suddenly doesn’t look so young

They put our incoming players fees to include all target based add ons while limited our sales as the lowest fee.

Also they made up some figures as well lol

For the ages it was more to show we had Howard, Baines, Jagielka, Barry and Mirallas all 29+ with limited resale value.

Current team I used Patterson rather than Coleman as he was signed during the timeframe and will be the RB going forward...shows the 'value' comparison.

I also didnt include players like Rooney (as the figures werent particularly clear) and Kean (because the fee may change if brought forward) although both should show as further profit.

Please god, let's not get into the net spend. I've only just recovered from that lot going on for years about how their team of wereld class players only cost 4 freddos and a capri sun, once you run the numbers.

Well, with the ageing and very poor overall squad quality in 2016/17 you need to look at the actual amount in net to compare with the existing squad.

Its the only way to determine any improvement and value.

Please god, let's not get into the net spend. I've only just recovered from that lot going on for years about how their team of wereld class players only cost 4 freddos and a capri sun, once you run the numbers.

Breaking records still for goal keepers and defenders still to this day.

Whatever way you spin it we have had enough money to invest in players to be a competitive top half team.

It has just been spent really, really badly.

At least 10 proper disasters among those signings and probably only a handful you could class as a success. Need to be hitting 50pc as a minimum success rate.

There’s no doubt the Club have spent a lot and there’s also no doubt that it’s largely been a terrible waste of money.

But I’ve got to agree, the constantly changing value of how much has been spent I find both frustrating and confusing and is rounded up by the media purely for the purpose of sensationalising and trouble making.
I’ve heard the figure to be 430 million, 500 million and recently 600!! It often makes me wonder if it’s net spend, if it’s including add ons - which lets be honest the performance related add ons wouldn’t have been paid out!! ?

That said I just hope the club/owner have learnt serious lessons!!

Last edited:
Net spend whatever moneys been squandared which should have been spet much wisely. The RS love harping on about it like jurgen aint spent a penny.?and

Whilst some of the figures are large some are quite relative to the players worth. Unfortunately you have not taken into consideration salaries.

Keeping DCL on £50k a week is better for FFP than Richarlison on£100k a week reducing annual outgoings by £2.6m. Do that with 5 players and the potential is £10m saving annually.

It is the salaries crippling us. We can use examples such as Keane earning circa 360k a week playing like a £20k a week player, gives an annual salary saving of £2m.

If you did the same throughout the squad we would have two things to consider, if they are playing to their salaries we are higher in the league and challenging for trophies or european football, if they are under acheiving compared to their salaries we are in the bottom three and look like we have been spunking money for the last five years.

One of our saving graces is that alot of the older dross are near the end of contracts so can be pushed out.

Net spend or total spend is irrelevant, what's relevant is the amount of money wasted on certain players and not selling when certain players stock was high.

Whilst some of the figures are large some are quite relative to the players worth. Unfortunately you have not taken into consideration salaries.

Keeping DCL on £50k a week is better for FFP than Richarlison on£100k a week reducing annual outgoings by £2.6m. Do that with 5 players and the potential is £10m saving annually.

It is the salaries crippling us. We can use examples such as Keane earning circa 360k a week playing like a £20k a week player, gives an annual salary saving of £2m.

If you did the same throughout the squad we would have two things to consider, if they are playing to their salaries we are higher in the league and challenging for trophies or european football, if they are under acheiving compared to their salaries we are in the bottom three and look like we have been spunking money for the last five years.

One of our saving graces is that alot of the older dross are near the end of contracts so can be pushed out.

Michael Keane's doing alright, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.