Ten Games in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggs

Player Valuation: £100m
i very rarely start threads, there are too many frivolous topics for discussion. Saying that we have now reached the first major milestone of the season and the teams/clubs performance is worthy of review;

- after 10 games the league has settled, 18 points and 6th place represents a very decent start when you consider the frailties of last season.

- the new manager appears to be uncomplicated. He wants his talented players to also put in a shift. He wants his grafters to have talent. He wants his players to earn their money.

- performances have not been great, accepting we are work in progress and the manager needs to bring in the 'types' he wants to fit his team model. My own gripe is a lack of goal threat but he appears to have done first what the best coaches do, try and make us more difficult to beat.

- the manager seems comfortable withdrawing/dropping players who don't adhere to his instructions, regardless of who they are. Jagielka, Barkley, Deulofeu are testament to that. Players that don't fit might well find themselves down the pecking order and competing for places after a window or two.

- so many on here had immediate high expectation for the season but a home defeat to Norwich in possibly the competition we had the best chance in, plus defeats to Bournemouth and Burnley have provided a reality check.

- off the pitch, the promise is still promise. There are lots of noises about huge finances in place for transfer and stadia but nothing material has been delivered. Ultimately, actions speak louder than words and there is still unease and mistrust regarding EFC governance.

- the next key milestone is Christmas. 20 points at that stage is a minimum requirement, on a sliding scale anything above 25 represents a very decent return.

...in summary, we are not playing scintillating football but our points return suggests we have somebody at the helm who is truly in charge and making the best of what we have. Where we are at Christmas will be of interest as will the January transfer window. So far so good but lots to be done.

Losing the home cup game to Norwich City was a set back, and disrupted our undoubted momentum.

If we can get a decent result at Chelsea on Saturday, confidence will be high again, and who knows where we could be by Christmas.

If we get some quality in the January window, we could have a decent season.

There's 21 points to play for before Christmas though there are a lot of tough fixtures coming up in that run. I'd certainly hope before Christmas day that we can get over the 25 point mark and hope to pick up positive results against Chelsea away, Utd, Arsenal and the RS at home. Do that and that will keep us right in the mix for Europe

5 points off top after 10 games is decent. The biggest plus did me is being unbeaten at home in the league after the shambles of last season. more creativity in midfield and we have a good chance of a europen place.

It's not 72 though is it.

:coffee:
2ad240f12654c1c8baeda3afa66fd9950eea77e4ae9448f9484ce6cdc109f956.jpg

Good common sense review that @Eggs, you should write more stuff, the world and the forum often lacks a bit of common sense.

I think most people would have taken 18 points from our first 10 games before we'd kicked a ball. Arguably it's been a relativlely easy fixture list so far, but we're three points ahead of seventh so there's a small cushion there.

If we're still sixth at the end of the season Koeman will have done a very good job.

Good common sense review that @Eggs, you should write more stuff, the world and the forum often lacks a bit of common sense.

I think most people would have taken 18 points from our first 10 games before we'd kicked a ball. Arguably it's been a relativlely easy fixture list so far, but we're three points ahead of seventh so there's a small cushion there.

If we're still sixth at the end of the season Koeman will have done a very good job.
And +6 better on the GD

Status
Not open for further replies.