Talking about our Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5 Gs: Get it, Give it, Go, Get it back, Give it, repeat as required.
Short Version: score more than you concede
Even shorter version: WIN.
Sorted

Edit; Football is a simple kids game, overcomplicted by over thinking
Another short version is: Attacking is the best form of defence, more chances of scoring as well!!

Hi everyone
Can you direct me to thread, (or can we make one?) that is more objective and less personal, and more about tactics, strategy and really football stuff. I would love to have conversations about how players are running, passing, defending, attacking, about shape, strategy and tactics. Because we're a mix of people - some experts, some with coaching, playing experience, all of us have watched a lot, I'd love to share opinions and see how players are doing and how the team is responding, particularly as we seem to have a Coach who is working on different ideas. It's rare now to find managers who don't just buy their way to success, so being forced into a period of money saving will be interesting.

Nowadays we re spending A LOT of time talking about social media posts, appearance, assuming that we know what's going in players' minds, about their lifestyles, wealth etc. I know it's hard because the PL is entertainment and all about money, but it would be nice to strip it down and talk just about actual football on the pitch.

instead of just 'He can't run', 'He's slow' , 'He's Fat', 'he's a money-grabbing waster etc', let me know if we can take a different approach!

For example:
James should not play because he's an egotistical waster who chooses when he plays and is always on holiday in his private jet'
> could change to >
If James plays, the tactics need to be this, and we need so and so players around him

For example
DCL is never gonna be Kane until he stops spending time and money on clothes
> could change to>
DCL is good at X,Y,Z, and needs to work on this, and this kind of tactic is good for him.

Just seems to me I don't find anyone to talk about actual football...

Thanks for reading

Great post, mate.

I think the 4-4-2 system the manager has used so far will be what we start with most games, with Allan and The Duke CM, with Andros (or Iwobi) and Gray as the wingers and DCL with Ricky upfront.

It works well as we get the ball forward quickly and putting balls in to DCL means he has support in Richarlison. It does leave us a little exposed at the back if Duke pushes forward, which shouldn’t be as much of an issue if we have Mina and Godfrey as CBs, but that hasn’t happened yet.

I think the addition of Rondon, could potentially help if he was to play James; as he could play a 4-3-3 formation, with James as the no 10 and 2 wide forwards and Rondon ahead of him. This could be our plan B option, or what we could potentially switch to if 4-4-2 isn’t working.

I’d like to see more of James, especially against the decent teams. I’m hoping that’s what rafael will use him for.

let's kill all the Stattos
I have a lot of time for people that tell me Dom has scored 3 in 3 and he’s the second or third top goal scorer in the league - that is a relevant stat

I cannot stress enough how much I hate these modern journalists who quote xG figures and all that American sports nonsense though - all that needs to go directly into the bin

The 5 Gs: Get it, Give it, Go, Get it back, Give it, repeat as required.
Short Version: score more than you concede
Even shorter version: WIN.
Sorted

Edit; Football is a simple kids game, overcomplicted by over thinking
Football is a simple game. I used to tell my team inspirational things like "do more betterer than them" and "put ball in t' onion net ffs" and "pain is our friend " and "come on."

Generally did the job.

For tough games I'd express the importance of equalising before they score.

When people declare something is simple, its often because they don't realise the true underlying complexity of the matter.

If football was a simple game, why doesn't every armchair manager end up getting paid 10m a year and going to the top level of the game with their sunday team?

I have a lot of time for people that tell me Dom has scored 3 in 3 and he’s the second or third top goal scorer in the league - that is a relevant stat

I cannot stress enough how much I hate these modern journalists who quote xG figures and all that American sports nonsense though - all that needs to go directly into the bin
Not taking sides, genuine question: Do you understand xG?
I ask because to hate something, you must understand it to disagree vehemently with it.

When people declare something is simple, its often because they don't realise the true underlying complexity of the matter.

If football was a simple game, why doesn't every armchair manager end up getting paid 10m a year and going to the top level of the game with their sunday team?
Its down to reputation and luck. Manage a good team and you look a good manager then get selected for a better team - then up goes your reputation. Come to Everton as one of the world's 'best managers' and get exposed, so shuffle off to Real Madrid at the first opportunity to protect your image and rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.