Swindon Town v Everton. 11th July @ 15:00 BST.

Does it matter if we win this game?

• Yes, and we must win by at least 3 goals.

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • No, it's just run out for the lads.

Votes: 63 26.0%
  • Wait, you're not Chico...

Votes: 46 19.0%
  • Tom Cleverly on Toast.

Votes: 42 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pleasantly surprised to see so many blues at a pre-season friendly, it looked like we had double the amount of home fans lol

First half wasn't the best, but here's my verdict on each of the players today:

Howard 6/10 - did quite well, made a few decent saves but nothing too drastic.
Coleman 6/10 - made a few positive runs and had some good link up play with Del.
Browning 8/10 - grew into the game more and more, looked very solid and never out of place.
Jagielka 6/10 - assured performance and the game seemed pretty easy for him. We did look better in defense in the second half though IMO.
Galloway 7/10 - had a good game and made a brilliant run which we almost scored from.
McCarthy 6/10 - did alright, made some good passes to Del but didn't seem as sharp as usual.
Barkley 6/10 - I think he needs to have more of an impact on games. A few good touches and didn't do anything wrong, but with all his ability I think he should be taking control of games this season. He played deeper today and I think that'll be his best position.
Deulofeu 6/10 - made some good runs and I saw glimpses of what we've missed, but other than one chance where he had a decent shot saved (I think it was saved rather than a miss?) he could've done better in front of goal. This'll come with sharpness though.
Naismith 5/10 - despite being a useful player I don't think he fits in the fast moving style of football that we should be going for, and IMO this showed today.
Pienaar 6/10 - great to see him back and he still has a lot to offer but in small doses now, I doubt he can regularly play many minutes these days.
Kone 5/10 - apart from one great run (which came to nothing after he ran into the defenders) he doesn't seem offer much at all.

Robles 6/10 - didn't have much to do.
Hibbert 6/10 - played in CB for a while but was solid throughout.
Barry 7/10 - kept the game ticking along nicely and we seemed really in control of the second half which.
Osman 6/10 - similar to Pienaar really - he can still be useful and fits well in the squad.
Besic 6/10 - looked bright in his short cameo before limping off. Hopefully it's not a serious one.
Kenny 6/10 - he didn't really have much to do but didn't look out of place.
Mirallas 9/10 - he's brilliant. Two good goals and was positive every time he got the ball. We can't afford to lose him.
Cleverley 6/10 - kept it tidy and didn't really put a foot wrong.
McAleny 9/10 - much much better than I expected. Always wanting the ball and to make things happen. Deserved his goal and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get a good amount of game time this season.
Lukaku 8/10 - took his goal well and linked up well with the other forwards.

Our attack in the second half compared to the first was very strong, as well as generally the team being in complete control whereas it wasn't so convincing in the first half. Obviously not against the strongest of sides and clearly just a run out, but a solid performance anyway.

We all know we have dross at the Club, we always have and always will. Same as every club. It was not me getting riled about our first pre-season match. I understand about getting fitness levels up and sharpness up so today regardless of score was a good run out for almost the entire squad. I was not going to take it as serious as a league match or cup final and start tearing into unfit players and frothing at the mouth. Dread to think of your reaction if we lost today. It was a workout, a good workout and nothing to get stressed about.

That's the whole point. Everyone on here gets that. You've been banging on about getting "the knives being out and people getting riled about our first pre-season match" It has nothing to do with that.

I put it to you Kone's performance had nothing to do with being unfit. I could mention one or two others.
The reaction you read and will continue to read is people expressing their displeasure that someone so sh!t, is still at the club. The reaction irrespective of the result would have been the same. Not stressed but disappointed for reasons completely unrelated to it being July on November.

That's the whole point. Everyone on here gets that. You've been banging on about getting "the knives being out and people getting riled about our first pre-season match" It has nothing to do with that.

I put it to you Kone's performance had nothing to do with being unfit. I could mention one or two others.
The reaction you read and will continue to read is people expressing their displeasure that someone so sh!t, is still at the club. The reaction irrespective of the result would have been the same. Not stressed but disappointed for reasons completely unrelated to it being July on November.

....when Kone was signed he was given a healthy contract that the club are obliged to meet. The fact that he has been injured for much of the time and his hefty salary are probably why he is still at the club. It's not easy to move players on.

You can see jags has improved his passing from the back, nice to have del who can get past a man and cause chaos with shots, he got skills we don't have in the team. Clev will be great for us. Worried about kone, Naismith and pienaar. Pienaar and kone only have 12 months left and can work in our favour as they will be trying to impress the world as they seek a new contract.

Naismith should be a squad player now, Barry was pretty good. Best player was Connor so hopefully he will be a nice addition to the squad this season

Thought we looked 10 times better than any friendly last year.
Thought we played some good stuff 1st half but kone n naismith kept messing it up and jimmy mac looked like he needs a few games to get back into the grove (probably as one of his main atributes is his high energy it may take a little longer to get up to speed).
Happy to see del looking to roast the full back and get a shot/cross in as much as possible and it looks like he has filled out a bit.
2nd half the early gosls helped and just shown that extra bit of quality shown.
Nice to see the likes of cleverly and ossie trying to move it quickly and get the through balls in.
Galloway and browning shown they are ready to go out on loan at a higher level than league 1 if need be. And i supose its a wait and see with mcaleny even though he is 36.
Also got to remember to keep our feet on the ground as it was only swindon.
But already the team looked more confident and fitter than last year

....when Kone was signed he was given a healthy contract that the club are obliged to meet. The fact that he has been injured for much of the time and his hefty salary are probably why he is still at the club. It's not easy to move players on.

Not a good enough reason as far as I'm concerned. If we can't sell the player, release him. Certainly not an excuse to persist with playing him. We're Everton.

Thought we looked 10 times better than any friendly last year.
Thought we played some good stuff 1st half but kone n naismith kept messing it up and jimmy mac looked like he needs a few games to get back into the grove (probably as one of his main atributes is his high energy it may take a little longer to get up to speed).
Happy to see del looking to roast the full back and get a shot/cross in as much as possible and it looks like he has filled out a bit.
2nd half the early gosls helped and just shown that extra bit of quality shown.
Nice to see the likes of cleverly and ossie trying to move it quickly and get the through balls in.
Galloway and browning shown they are ready to go out on loan at a higher level than league 1 if need be. And i supose its a wait and see with mcaleny even though he is 36.
Also got to remember to keep our feet on the ground as it was only swindon.
But already the team looked more confident and fitter than last year

Hope that isn't in a Yak / pie way

Are the goals not on the OS? I can't find them.

They came up on the mobile Everton app, but the video was exceptionally small for some reason and essentially not watchable.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction, appreciated.

Barkley 6/10 - I think he needs to have more of an impact on games. A few good touches and didn't do anything wrong, but with all his ability I think he should be taking control of games this season. He played deeper today and I think that'll be his best position.
Totally agree with all your scores but this was the most pertinent. Ever since he's come back from the World Cup this has crept into his game. I want to see a bit of the old Ross unchained soon. The deeper role does suit him and I hope he learns how to make those runs from deep like Lampard.

btw - The result obviously did matter. Perhaps it shouldn't but now there's a genuine feeling of optimism rather than fume and we want to go into the start of the season like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.