Supporter Club History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Neville Southall

Player Valuation: £8m
I was thinking about the advent of our supporters clubs. The 90s seemed to bring an influx of many supporters clubs but there were must have been a fair few knocking round before then.

I know that a couple like the ESCLA one started mid 70s which must be one of the oldest independent ones still going. It's certainly the oldest I can think of, perhaps it was the first independent one?

Others that have been around for a while like the Irish one mentioned on here is a respected one that has been around for long time too. The Ellesmere Port one must be late 70s?

Any larger ones died off? I know the Blue House was more of a name change as it kept the continuity of its members, which was previously the Independent supporters club, I know of it from the 80s but I'm not aware of that one existing before then.

I'd guess the first one was the official one, perhaps the idea started after the mid 50s as that was when coach travel to the aways became the alternative to train travel.

It's a bit of an unlooked at part of our history this.

I was thinking about the advent of our supporters clubs. The 90s seemed to bring an influx of many supporters clubs but there were must have been a fair few knocking round before then.

I know that a couple like the ESCLA one started mid 70s which must be one of the oldest independent ones still going. It's certainly the oldest I can think of, perhaps it was the first independent one?

Others that have been around for a while like the Irish one mentioned on here is a respected one that has been around for long time too. The Ellesmere Port one must be late 70s?

Any larger ones died off? I know the Blue House was more of a name change as it kept the continuity of its members, which was previously the Independent supporters club, I know of it from the 80s but I'm not aware of that one existing before then.

I'd guess the first one was the official one, perhaps the idea started after the mid 50s as that was when coach travel to the aways became the alternative to train travel.

It's a bit of an unlooked at part of our history this.

I followed the blue house for a couple of its moves but then dropped out, more to do with my routine changing when going the match ie not turning up 3 hours before to get sloshed anymore. Going the blue house during the mid 80's will always be my greatest time at going the match, great people and great football.

....Everton Supporters Club as I know it was on City Rd close to the ground. My folks were 'on the committee' in the 60s, indeed I have a photo of my clan in there the night we scored 4 in the Anfield derby in 1964. I was in there when we won the league in 1970 and Alan Ball snr let me hold Bally's medal. Priceless memories of that place.

....Everton Supporters Club as I know it was on City Rd close to the ground. My folks were 'on the committee' in the 60s, indeed I have a photo of my clan in there the night we scored 4 in the Anfield derby in 1964. I was in there when we won the league in 1970 and Alan Ball snr let me hold Bally's medal. Priceless memories of that place.
Wow, some history that Eggs! I went in there a few times last season, it probably hasn't been done up since you held Bally's medal!

I followed the blue house for a couple of its moves but then dropped out, more to do with my routine changing when going the match ie not turning up 3 hours before to get sloshed anymore. Going the blue house during the mid 80's will always be my greatest time at going the match, great people and great football.
A lot of the well known lads from there would have been in their 20s then as well, not surprised you enjoyed it and that's not even including the footy!

Everton Supporters Federation started at least before 1960. I was an early member of ESCLA when I moved to London circa 1975. I remember people like John Smith, John Collins, Peter Leach (typical Londoner - as big as a house and lived near Chelsea's ground), The Rev, Terry who came up from Portsmouth and a few others. I seem to remember the train left Euston around 9 and the return was about 5.05 I have no idea how we ever made it back to Lime Street in time being so fuelled up but then again maybe we hopped a taxi or perhaps it was 6 o'clock. ESCLA used to produce an excellent fanzine as well and we used to go to the aways as well. Great value train tickets - must have been no more than half-price. Plus they used to get a decent number of tickets for big games so no one missed out on cup semis and the Annual visit to The Pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.