Summer transfer window 2023

Please do bother. You just said “we don’t use numbers friend” when we’ve employed actual people who bought players without even watching them (Sandro) and thought that we could replace Lukaku’s goals by buying Davy Klaassen and Rooney because they’d both scored 12 the season before.
Sandro is the perfect example of how a team that looks deeper into stats avoids the deal. Klassen as well tbh. I don't mean goals and assists exclusively. I know that's what I've been talking about here but that's because when you try to talk about anything else everyone just says watch the games as if that’s never led to mistakes before.

There are tons of different types of data available. Which ones actually help is a very complex issue and smart teams have a group of people who try to find out. We don't do this. And we have shocking transfers as a result. It's funny that people would even try to argue it tbh.

So to recap if as expected Gray, Maupay, Holgate and Simms leave and there is no future for Gomes & Gbamin:

#we need a goalie depending on the futures of Virgina and Lonergan

#we need a left back and I would say another centre back if 3 would ultimately leave

#we need a replacement for Davies. Depending on the futures of Dele and Warrington

#we need a stand in for DCL (Weghorst type), an attacker who play across the forward line (both Piroe and Rodrigo both recently played on the right or down the middle) and an out and out winger (Gnono, Harrison, Danjuma or Summerville ?)

Work to do Blues

Realistically stats gained in a different division with different team mates against different opponents tell you absolutely nothing.

Ellis Simms goal stats in the Championship for Sunderland are not going to tell you anything no more than Neal Maupay's goalscoring record in the championship for Brentford will.

It's common sense that when a scenario changes then so will the reliability of the stats.

We will do stupid things regardless anyway.
You have to try and normalize it. Yes I don't expect a 1 in 2 championship player to do that in the PL. You also have to scout obviously. I'm not advocating against it.

If we'd have had pace in the front 3 (striker, wingers) last season we'd have been safe weeks earlier, jsut for having PACE to hit hard on the counter.

We literally avoid all pace and all flair. Flair players who get defenders on the backfoot are huge tool to have.
Gray has pace but is brain dead. Give me brains over pace every day of the week

Sandro is the perfect example of how a team that looks deeper into stats avoids the deal. Klassen as well tbh. I don't mean goals and assists exclusively. I know that's what I've been talking about here but that's because when you try to talk about anything else everyone just says watch the games as if that’s never led to mistakes before.

There are tons of different types of data available. Which ones actually help is a very complex issue and smart teams have a group of people who try to find out. We don't do this. And we have shocking transfers as a result. It's funny that people would even try to argue it tbh.

If Walsh had actually bothered to go over and watch Sandro he would’ve seen what he’s actually like at football and wouldn’t have just bought him because he scored 14 that season. Same with Klaassen, if someone had actually watched him play football they would’ve seen that he doesn’t have the physical capabilities to play in the league. If someone had actually watched Cenk Tosun they would’ve seen that he’s the slowest player on earth and wouldn’t be able to play in the league. I know it’s a really alien concept in this Americanised low attention span version of the sport but people used to employ scouts to watch footballers and it worked quite well back in the day.

So to recap if as expected Gray, Maupay, Holgate and Simms leave and there is no future for Gomes & Gbamin:

#we need a goalie depending on the futures of Virgina and Lonergan

#we need a left back and I would say another centre back if 3 would ultimately leave

#we need a replacement for Davies. Depending on the futures of Dele and Warrington

#we need a stand in for DCL (Weghorst type), an attacker who play across the forward line (both Piroe and Rodrigo both recently played on the right or down the middle) and an out and out winger (Gnono, Harrison, Danjuma or Summerville ?)

Work to do Blues
dont think Weghorst is the right profile to dcl is mobile enough

You have to try and normalize it. Yes I don't expect a 1 in 2 championship player to do that in the PL. You also have to scout obviously. I'm not advocating against it.
There is an argument for basing a player profile off statistics and fitting that into a team based off them. For example I need player A who can do this which will result in Player B doing that etc. Even that never seems to take into account opponents and a whole raft of different scenarios but generic attributes etc I can see.

Assuming someone will be good just because they score or assist or "win more aerial duals" somewhere else is risky.

If Walsh had actually bothered to go over and watch Sandro he would’ve seen what he’s actually like at football and wouldn’t have just bought him because he scored 14 that season. Same with Klaassen, if someone had actually watched him play football they would’ve seen that he doesn’t have the physical capabilities to play in the league. If someone had actually watched Cenk Tosun they would’ve seen that he’s the slowest player on earth and wouldn’t be able to play in the league. I know it’s a really alien concept in this Americanised low attention span version of the sport but people used to employ scouts to watch footballers and it worked quite well back in the day.
Idk if they would have done that with Klaassen because Donny van de Beek was literally the same player and someone went and spent big on him too. Sometimes players look good and aren't. It has to be a wholistic approach. Every tool has use.

I'm too young so I'm genuinely asking: were there really no bad transfers in the 80s and 90s?

There is an argument for basing a player profile off statistics and fitting that into a team based off them. For example I need player A who can do this which will result in Player B doing that etc. Even that never seems to take into account opponents and a whole raft of different scenarios but generic attributes etc I can see.

Assuming someone will be good just because they score or assist or "win more aerial duals" somewhere else is risky.
You have to use every available technique. Scouting matters. Data matters.

There's is another weird trick of how to spot a good player, it involves deep analysis of the players using the eyes of a human we will call him 'scout'

They wouldn’t have sacked gerrard if they were mid table. They’ve been scrapping relegation for the last few seasons like us.
And have spent double what we have in the last 7yrs. They probably have this season to gamble on the grealish money.

But will also be under massive ffp pressure next season. Unless they miraculously get top 4
Ok. Maybe not mid table but still had and are spending money

Dan Ndoye write up via the Athletic

Dan Ndoye

Left-winger, Switzerland/Basel; 22

After falling behind against Norway yesterday, Switzerland were the better side from the moment they equalised 10 minutes before half-time. That goal was scored by Dan Ndoye after a quick break and good finish, but he’s on this list because of his all-round contribution.

Norway’s main threat was coming from their right, via Manchester City’s Oscar Bobb and Johan Hove of Groningen. Bobb in particular is a menace. He’s a squat, skilful player who can’t be left isolated against a full-back and mustn’t be allowed time on his left foot. Ndoye did a fine job in guarding against both these threats and provided his back line with a degree of protection that meant that Bobb never really became much of an influence.

Ndoye also still managed to be dynamic on the counter-attack and have a few second-half chances of his own. He rather hacked at those, unfortunately, but that didn’t detract too much from a very selfless and mature performance.
Not too impressed with his goals record another defensive winger when we need goals. Not to sold on the lad
Just went onto a Swansea forum to see what they are saying about Piroe. They seem to think it's all sown up for him to move to Forest. He prefers a move to Forest over us, as he thinks they're the better option, plus it would reunite him with Steve Cooper.

The posters that are saying this are adamant that he doesn't want to come to Everton, but is desperate to leave Swansea, so we'll see.

Interesting given they have Awoniyi already who actually had a solid season and plays as a target. I’d actually take him over Piroe, granted I know next to nothing about Piroe.

Also, sadness if Forest are actually seen as a better option.
Terrible that this is even a thing now them bwing a better option. If he had anything about him the club should be showing the stadium and the passion of this fan base. If you back your ability as a player you could change this team around.
Are we linked with any left backs? Another season of Mykolenko starting dosen't make me confident.
100% will be another fb coming in cant see dyche letting us go short in areas of the pitch again. Well is what i hope even with these idiots on the board still about.

Our recruitment needs to be overall stats and the eye test our issue is as well as a lot of dodgy recruitment that relied on "known quantities" or "PL proven players" or "players on a CL clubs bench" that has cost us dear. We have often seemingly scouted well in the past at times look at the players we were linked with last summer for instance KWP and Kudus were the main ones who we didn't secure and are both good players. Even when we have scouted well it appears it's often been blocked by our lack of funds or the ridiculous process of everyone having a say or the chair and owner having to sign a piece of paper before we go for someone. Also I do feel managers have a big sway on players that come in with us and always have done look at the players Martinez and Carlo brought in some players they knew from former clubs. I am not even sure how much say Thelwell even has beyond the scouting part, I feel like Lamps pushed for Maupay because we had failed on other targets and he had a naive idea that we could play progressive football and he would fit in with the dysfunctional squad we had.