Summer transfer window 2023

….i agree with the first sentence but I think he found out lots about individuals in these last few months. He’ll know players he doesn’t plan to use & I reckon he’s been telling them this week.

There was one post-match interview on Sunday where he tapped his temple & said something along the lines of; “I know exactly what we need, it’s all in here’. I thought that was a really good insight into him being clear minded about his requirements.

If you go through the squad there isn't one of them that wasn't given an opportunity under Dyche, Its probably the first time one of our managers in recent years haven't - had an in and out group. I thought Coady this week was very telling in terms of ruthlessness and focus - its a signing i think we would have made in previous years. Also have a feeling he doesn't fancy Iwobi.

Yes. I believe he's sorted out with Thelwell many months ago who is to come in and who is to leave.

He's made a big play about clubs planning ahead in a few press conferences, so I dont expect any lack of prompt movement to be down to him. If they do dally it'll be down to this club doing what it's done for years in transfer windows: leaving it late so they dont have to start paying wages straight away.
I don’t mind that so much if there was 100% certainty the player is coming, it just looks like dilly dallying from the outside in.
Of course the risk is their agents can get a better deal until it’s signed sealed & delivered.
Unfortunately I doubt we are sufficiently attractive atm to be taking such risks.

Being linked again with Akpom from Middlesbrough, the 27 year old has 1 year left on his contract, had a good season for Boro last season scoring 34 goals, but it’s the best season he’s had in 9 seasons of professional football, so has he suddenly realised his potential or is the last season some weird anomaly?

The report says the fee could be £20m

20 mil for a championship player with one year left is too expensive. No more than 10 mil.

I don’t mind that so much if there was 100% certainty the player were coming, it just looks like dilly dallying from the outside in.
Of course the risk is their agents can get a better deal until it’s signed sealed & delivered.
Unfortunately I doubt we are sufficiently attractive atm to be taking such risks.

I think us losing Kudus last summer was down to that.

The sort of players we'll be looking at this summer, of course, wont have many suitors - but there'll be some interest, presumably.

We need to sort out the forward line ASAP to settle the whole fan base down. If they do that they can - at a more leisurely pace - sort the LFB and CB situation out.

If you go through the squad there isn't one of them that wasn't given an opportunity, Its probably the first time one of our managers in recent years haven't - had an in and out group. I thought Coady this week was very telling in terms of ruthlessness and focus - its a signing i think we would have made in previous years. Also have a feeling he doesn't fancy Iwobi.
Imho I think he’d have him all day long, plenty of assists, runs all day long, presses, BUT, I suspect he sees a wage ceiling for iwobi and given the lack of goals I think there will be a difference of opinion what the ceiling should be, so he may well go simply on that basis if he can get more $ elsewhere.

The sort of players we'll be looking at this summer, of course, wont have many suitors - but there'll be some interest, presumably.

We need to sort out the forward line ASAP to settle the whole fan base down. If they do that they can - at a more leisurely pace - sort the LFB and CB situation out.

Remember signing Andy Johnson early enough and it settled everyone right down.

Imho I think he’d have him all day long, plenty of assists, runs all day long, presses, BUT, I suspect he sees a wage ceiling for iwobi and given the lack of goals I think there will be a difference of opinion what the ceiling should be, so he may well go simply on that basis if he can get more $ elsewhere.

Good point mate, agree completely on the wage ceiling and how that influences decision making. I think the decision is - is he really a 100k player and are you building a side around him - because you need to if you are making him one of your high earners for the next five years - would be a no for me.

As much as he was crap, there were rumours as well that Lampard was frustrated with the length of time it took to get deals over the line….I would imagine that is purely on the board and to the manager or the DoF. Bill strikes again

As much as he was crap, there were rumours as well that Lampard was frustrated with the length of time it took to get deals over the line….I would imagine that is purely on the board and to the manager or the DoF. Bill strikes again
More down to that no mark Thelwell on that occasion. A pip squeak with no heft to influence the owner to loosen the purse strings for it at that time.

The summers where we've made our big signings early are the years we've gone on to do well. I'll never understand our perennial leave it until the last minute approach.

If we are being realistic mate, we're in a certain spot in the food chain, we eat after others have and as much as it pains me to say it we aren't attractive and lads will be keeping options open until late in the window.

The leverage we have is wages on rivals - but thats problematic for us as we know. History of course. But any player joining is risking being a championship player in 12 months on our current profile - that what a player and agent will be thinking.

So you are looking at players looking to take a step on the ladder, clubs below us, players in the red territory of contracts, lads not playing at clubs higher up the league or foreign players who fancy a crack at the PL. That's our market really - they will have other options to.