Summer transfer window 2023

Reckon will win sign McTominay, proper Evertong signing that
So long as the fee was sensible, wouldn't be the worst signing in the world. Gana will be 34 come next season, and McTominay is a hard working, reliable, team player you can get 30+ games a year out of. Not super talented but a decent, functional player. I imagine he would tick a lot of Dyche boxes.

Be flippant all you want. Literally all I’ve pointed out is that he’s basically our only creative player who has done well this season. I don’t even think he’s brilliant. Not sure why you’re determined to argue with that.

You’re actually trying to argue he is better than some of the best players in their positions in the league because a spreadsheet has some arbitrary numbers on it.

Why does nobody on the planet want the most creative midfielder in the league?

Wouldn't be unhappy with that.
Me neither.
Assuming Onana goes. A steady Eddie alongside Garner and Doucoure would be a decent base to build from.
To be honest though, I wouldn't be too shocked if Onana does go, Iwobi comes central and we get a new wide man in.

You’re actually trying to argue he is better than some of the best players in their positions in the league because a spreadsheet has some arbitrary numbers on it.

I’m not arguing that at all. I’m stating that he’s created more than them individually from open play. It’s fairly simply but you seem dead keen to argue with the stats in a facetious manner so we’ll leave it there lest we repeat ourselves.

I’m not arguing that at all. I’m stating that he’s created more than them individually from open play. It’s fairly simply but you seem dead keen to argue with the stats in a facetious manner so we’ll leave it there lest we repeat ourselves.
Keep in mind that, if Iwobi was actually good, he should be well past the six players from Brighton in the top twelve as the primary focus of an attack. Tarkowski nearly doubled up the next player behind him for blocks this season. (Tarkowski having the opportunity to make two blocks per match, on average, is its own problem unrelated to his quality.)

Truth, I think, is closer to where you're coming down on this one. Iwobi isn't 'diabolical', to use Mike's word, but he isn't particularly good. Replacing him at this juncture is, as you say, probably unwise. For all of Iwobi's limitations, we have much larger fish to fry at the moment with what funds we have available.

Reckon will win sign McTominay, proper Evertong signing that

Newcastle would go for him and Howe would have him looking good in their system.

It’s no co-incidence to me that the teams who seemingly over perform are ones with good systems and who buy players to suit those systems - Newcastle, Brighton and Brentford - rather than a scatter gun approach like Chelsea recently, and us previously. Utd seem to be buying players for their managers system now rather than trying to fit big names in and it’s no surprise they’re improving.

I have no issue with 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 3-5-2 etc as long as players fit into the system.

We need an identity and it’s a long time since we had one.

Can we not start taking about stats too much otherwise tempt the fates that is.... The former accused guy?

the accounts for 20/21 basically shows that the only way this club can survive at the moment is by selling at least 1 big player a season until the staff wages is reduced significantly to around 50-60% of turnover

it was at 90% in 20/21 dropped from 95% in 19/20

i would like to think it maybe dropped to around 80% - 85% in 21/22 but who knows

if we can get to June 1st with maybe 70% staff wages to turnover that would be a good start

also have to factor in that the gordon and moise kean sales are the equivalent to how much we got for richy so we may not need to have to sell an onana or a pickford this season to sign players however i do think if a club were to bid 60 mil for onana we would sell him and tbh i would be ok with that

Keep in mind that, if Iwobi was actually good, he should be well past the six players from Brighton in the top twelve as the primary focus of an attack. Tarkowski nearly doubled up the next player behind him for blocks this season. (Tarkowski having the opportunity to make two blocks per match, on average, is its own problem unrelated to his quality.)

Truth, I think, is closer to where you're coming down on this one. Iwobi isn't 'diabolical', to use Mike's word, but he isn't particularly good. Replacing him at this juncture is, as you say, probably unwise. For all of Iwobi's limitations, we have much larger fish to fry at the moment with what funds we have available.
Fair point mate. I don’t have any particular great love for the fella, though that can be extended to virtually our whole squad. I would however love to see a world where he’s the least creative midfielder we have because it would show we’ve made significant progress. He’s currently the best of a bad bunch, though I suspect McNeil will surpass him next season.