Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Upfront was the priority as in preseason it looked like we couldn’t score in a brothel with DCL (and I like the kid but he can’t finish) so getting Kean in was essentially the window right there.

Iwobi if completed will give us something else (can’t be worse then Walcott) so it’s just we’re a centre back light

Delph is good at the price gives us experience and some leadership along with Gomes and Gbamin should give us power and physicality.

I’m looking forward to what this squad could do

It is a massive failure in this regard, yep. Not happy at all.

On Brands. 100%. His first black mark, tbh, but it better not be repeated. It's a huge oversight and one that could cost us. There was absolutely no reason not to have a back up in play.
Not ideal at all but Gbamin may have to fill in there at times. Apparently played cb for Mainz quite a bit last season. That being said I would be trying to secure a physically imposing and pacey CB for January from now.

For once I actually don't blame the board.
How many wingers that would actually improve the side have moved this summer?
Centre back was always going to be an issue with Chelsea's transfer ban and utd spending silly.money on slabhead....
I think zaha was a target of opportunity, clearly an improvement and someone we could get, it's not our boards fault if palace constantly moved the goalposts on what they saw as an acceptable fee,
We offered a perfectly decent deal by all accounts, a recently 30 mill rated striker, a midfielder they wanted enough that they signed him anyway, and 70mill...
given the sell on fee it makes sense to accept less money and players as surely the more cash they got the more they hand over to utd....

We were waiting for zouma thinking we could get him late on. Gamble never paid off.

Would have been worth the wait if we’d landed him in my opinion but yeah, we’re an injury away from being in big trouble at the back now
There was nothing wrong with doing that imo. I think we were sure we'd get Tomori if not and probably had an agreement in place.

I think we gave up on Zouma's deal last week when it became clear Chelsea wouldn't budge, but seemed too preoccupied with attempting stupid bids for Doucoure which were not getting close. I imagine talks were in play that basically meant we could get a quick loan move for Tomori sorted, and we were focusing funds elsewhere.

But, yesterday, the Luiz thing happens and Chelsea can't get rid of another CB. The Tomori deal falls through and we panic. Go to Utd for Smalling and then Rojo as we need a loan.

There should have been a clear alternative. A clear back up. We knew if anything went differently at Chelsea we'd have to go elsewhere due to their ban. Why we didn't have another option from another club is honestly baffling. And Brands and the team have to take all the blame for that.

Did you notice how all the prices dropped on the final day?
No, because it doesn’t happen. Tierney went for £25 mill, Sessegnon for £30 mill. The price they have been available at all summer.
Why do we leave things so late. Madness.

We knew Zouma may not have been able to return, but not bringing in another CB is an absolute failure. It’s made even worse after the decision to let Jags go, as now we are going to have to pray Keane & Mina stay fit and can play every week. Holgate is “ok” as a backup, but even this pre season showed he could be a big liability. After that, we’d have to hope Gibson/Feeney can make the step up & at least be serviceable.

Kean adds something we lacked but has limited experience.
Gomes doesn’t change anything from last season.
Delph is an upgrade of Besic/McCarthy, but nothing inspiring.
Gbamin is a downgrade of Gana, impact tbc.
Iwobi is an upgrade of Lookman.
Sidibe is smart business & was needed.
Lossl is an upgrade of Stek, who may leave on loan maybe? Doesn’t change our team though.

C+ window rating for me, not due to the players but not getting a CB is damning. We couldn’t identify a Lukaku replacement for years, makes no sense we couldn’t find a CB from anywhere with months & months to prepare for it.

Hopefully we get a few loan deals to save some wages (Niasse, Mirallas & Bolasie mainly, but Martina needs to go & Onyekuru needs to get sold) as that probably limited our spending ability.

For once I actually don't blame the board.
How many wingers that would actually improve the side have moved this summer?
Centre back was always going to be an issue with Chelsea's transfer ban and utd spending silly.money on slabhead....
I think zaha was a target of opportunity, clearly an improvement and someone we could get, it's not our boards fault if palace constantly moved the goalposts on what they saw as an acceptable fee,
We offered a perfectly decent deal by all accounts, a recently 30 mill rated striker, a midfielder they wanted enough that they signed him anyway, and 70mill...
given the sell on fee it makes sense to accept less money and players as surely the more cash they got the more they hand over to utd....

I don't blame it on anything to do with spending money or not. We've spent money.

What we haven't done is had our ducks in a row and had things lined up if things went wrong.

The Iwobi deal has been last minute and doesn't improve our first XI but does very much improve our squad. Takes none of the pressure off Kean though which is really what was needed. But I don't mind the signing, it's just a lot of money.

But not having a defender in is really bad from Brands. Really bad.

I don't actually think we're as bad as i thought. We're light at CB however we've done well to get Gomes, Kean and Sidibe.

Gbamin is a nice touch.

We've not done worse than a 7/10 imo.

I'm bit annoyed about Iwobi but I'd give him a shot, will contribute more than Lookman surely.

If you look at it this way, if it's Rojo or nobody, I'd have nobody and give Gibson a go.

he'll have to, but then it leaves us short in midfield.

Basically, we've cocked up.
I agree mate seems we put all our eggs in the Zouma basket surprised at Brands. I would have thought he would have alternatives ready to go. Is what it is now we have to hopefully get by till January. We have hopefully addressed many of our issues but that is one glaring one left.

We were waiting for zouma thinking we could get him late on. Gamble never paid off.

Would have been worth the wait if we’d landed him in my opinion but yeah, we’re an injury away from being in big trouble at the back now
It's no excuse and looks a bad miscalculation.

Silva spoke about how we had other targets if Zouma didn't happen and I seriously doubt that Smalling or Rojo were on that list at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.