Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC have reduced the payment we got for Lookman to £16m. That is in an article with a background of how much we have spent as big spenders.

Is this the Kean article?

Your post is a bit misleading as it suggests the article is focused on our spending. If it’s the one I’m reading g then the focus is on us signing Kean and then there is a bit about some of the other transfer business we’ve done. No actual mention of us being “big spenders” either.

Unless I’ve got the wrong article?

It would be great to get three but I'd settle for RB / CB at this stage. It's difficult on the last day as things can break down just as quickly as they develop.

I'm confident that we still still go on to do good deals and have further confidence that we won't sign anyone for the sake of getting bodies in - that's the big temptation on deadline day to appease fans but in terms of incomings at least both this summer and last its been hard to argue with Brands so far.

The operation looks targeted, disciplined, and co-ordinated so credit where it's due.
I'm the opposite. Now we have Gbamin in who can cover both CB and RB if need be, I think our biggest need is another wide man. With Lookman having been sold (and I am completely discounting Bolasie and Mirallas here for obvious reasons), we are left with just Walcott as back up and we are therefore one injury away from having no width on the bench. That would be disastrous.

I therefore believe another wide man has to be our main priority now. Don't get me wrong, we still need a CB in the Zouma mould and I'm sure we'll be trying hard to bring somebody in before the window shuts, but the right winger has to take priority for me.

When Bournemouth spent 20 Million on Ake people on this very forum said they were paying too much and he wasn't worth it

I said it was a shrewd piece of business and that he'd be an excellent signing for them

They could now conceivably sell him for close to four times that and he's played very well for them during his time there

Score one more for Mikey lol lol lol (And @ijjysmith too if we're being fair. He called it also)

I'm the opposite. Now we have Gbamin in who can cover both CB and RB if need be, I think our biggest need is another wide man. With Lookman having been sold (and I am completely discounting Bolasie and Mirallas here for obvious reasons), we are left with just Walcott as back up and we are therefore one injury away from having no width on the bench. That would be disastrous.

I therefore believe another wide man has to be our main priority now. Don't get me wrong, we still need a CB in the Zouma mould and I'm sure we'll be trying hard to bring somebody in before the window shuts, but the right winger has to take priority for me.
We need both. It's absolutely vital that we get both for me, otherwise the squad just isn't strong enough. Having someone like Gbamin who might be able to fill in in a different position in an emergency is one thing, but if Mina has injuries anything like he did last year then you're talking about one of our big signings playing the whole season out of position. That would be ridiculous, and cannot be allowed to happen. I have faith in the current regime, but this is a big few days. We really must strengthen in at least 2 areas, ideally in 3 or 4. It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

He’s not top 6 quality that’s for sure. No epl experience and really just average overall
He does have EPL experience. Played a handful of games for City and registered a goal and a couple of assists.
(Unless it was in cup competitions that is.)
He’s a good player and came through City’s youth set up.

When Bournemouth spent 20 Million on Ake people on this very forum said they were paying too much and he wasn't worth it

I said it was a shrewd piece of business and that he'd be an excellent signing for them

They could now conceivably sell him for close to four times that and he's played very well for them during his time there

Score one more for Mikey lol lol lol (And @ijjysmith too if we're being fair. He called it also)
Prices have just gone absolutely crazy though, £50m is what £15m was just a couple of years ago. Keane has had one awful and one fairly decent season here and yet his price has probably doubled at least in the current market. It's madness.

the thing is, if we get rid of schneiderlin, we don't have any defensive midfielders for if we'd want to play like that. Been well documented silva had capoue to do that job in his 4-3-3, would he want two powerful box-to-box midfielders alongside siggurdsson in a middle 3?

2 of Doucoure, Gbamin, Gomes and Delph? That's quite a lot of strength in depth, too much for me. I mean Siggurdsson has to play in the 3 surely? Otherwise there's no goals in that middle 3 and not too much creativity tbh. We won't be shoehoring siggurdsson out wide either, surely, so where does our most creative player then play?
I think we'll play 4231 in most games, and when we do Siggy will play if he's fit. In some games he may decide to go 433 and Siggy will be a bench option. Think as we add more quality players to the squad you'll see Silva make more use of it.

It would be nice to have an extra quality midfielder in the squad but I do think we have more pressing area's that need sorting first, such as RW, CD and possibly RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.