Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We still need to generate actual money though
Are you certain about this?

I thought reducing the wage bill was more important as this is where we are in danger if falling foul of regulations.

Obviously we don't have a bottomless pit of transfer funds but we can bring in some money for the likes of Tosun, Niasse, McCarthy, Besic, Walcott and one of either Lookman or Henry. I reckon you are looking at circa £50m there, plus maybe another £15/20m from some of our younger players like Connolly, Robinson, Dowell, Williams, Baningime Tarashaj and Pennington. Add that to our transfer budget and we'll have possibly £120/30m to spend. Say £30m for Zouma and we have £100m for a striker, left footed wideman and another midfielder. That's doable.

The likes of Schneids, Kev, Sandro, Martina and Bolasie will need to go on loan as I can't see anyone paying money for them, but at least we'll be able to offload large portion of their wage bills.

Are you certain about this?

I thought reducing the wage bill was more important as this is where we are in danger if falling foul of regulations.

Obviously we don't have a bottomless pit of transfer funds but we can bring in some money for the likes of Tosun, Niasse, McCarthy, Besic, Walcott and one of either Lookman or Henry. I reckon you are looking at circa £50m there, plus maybe another £15/20m from some of our younger players like Connolly, Robinson, Dowell, Williams, Baningime Tarashaj and Pennington. Add that to our transfer budget and we'll have possibly £120/30m to spend. Say £30m for Zouma and we have £100m for a striker, left footed wideman and another midfielder. That's doable.

The likes of Schneids, Kev, Sandro, Martina and Bolasie will need to go on loan as I can't see anyone paying money for them, but at least we'll be able to offload large portion of their wage bills.
Yes, absolutely certain. As certain as I've ever been about anything in my entire life.

Businesses which do not generate money inevitably go bust, it's a fairly well known fact.

To score 22 goals in any league as a winger, and as a teenager, you have something about you. Deffo looks Robben esque. Can’t really find any decent source saying we want him though unfortunately.
He gets a yes from me though. Given the limited funds we have £15m on him looks better than £50m on Neres. Having said that, if we could do a deal of less than £30m for Kean, it would give us a bit more to spend on that position.

At the end of the day this is all speculation. We could easily end up this summer balancing the books by bringing in somebody like Malcolm on loan, putting back the bigger outlay until next year. Similar to what we did last year with Gomes and, hopefully, Zouma.

Yes, absolutely certain. As certain as I've ever been about anything in my entire life.

Businesses which do not generate money inevitably go bust, it's a fairly well known fact.
So let's get this straight.

You are saying that, taking wages out of the calculation altogether, we have little or no budget to buy players other than what we bring in from the sale of existing players. Is that correct?

If so, can you back this up with evidence seeing as you are so certain.

I think if we can’t sell, all we have to do is to loan them all out. This will lower our wage bill and also comfortably comply with financial fairplay

So let's get this straight.

You are saying that, taking wages out of the calculation altogether, we have little or no budget to buy players other than what we bring in from the sale of existing players. Is that correct?

If so, can you back this up with evidence seeing as you are so certain.
No that's not what I'm saying at all, you've completely imagined that.

I was just flippantly answering the question you asked, which due to your butchering of the original post was effectively 'are you sure we need to make money?' I was just saying yes, I'm absolutely certain we need to make money, because we're a business, and businesses which don't make money go bust.

To be slightly more serious about it, yes i'm still sure we need to generate funds. Not in a sell to buy way, but just as a business in general. People have got wrapped up thinking about the wage bill, but profit on transfers eases the pressure on the wage bill aswell. We can't just hold on to players until their contracts run down, it's not good business practice. IF (i'm fully aware it's an if, i'm just running with the same logic as the original post) we don't really want Lookman and Henry in the first team squad next year, then very much the sensible thing to do is to cash in on them, raising some money and freeing up their wages because they're not playing for free either. I have no doubt at all that Brands agrees with that, and it's why we sold Vlasic last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.