Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of you want Kurt Zouma and he was relegated last season at Stoke. Does that not count because he was on loan? He played the majority of their games.

If he were Stoke's player and we'd signed him properly last summer instead of loaned him, would you now think he's done differently this season?

Personally i think Mina, will go on to prove the pick of the litter of last years signings, the guy has unbelievable array of skills and quality begging to be developed.

Saturday goes to show why you should do your transfer planning based on games like that rather than the games against Arsenal and West Ham. How many people thought Jagielka was worth a new deal off the back of Arsenal? Exactly.

People overreact terribly but we are in about the right position. In amongst West Ham, Watford, Leicester and Wolves.

Want to be above that as we should be? Recruit well and find a way to get rid of the deadwood. Not easy but that's the job Marcel and Marco have on this summer. They've had a year to plan it, impress us fellas.

Saturday goes to show why you should do your transfer planning based on games like that rather than the games against Arsenal and West Ham. How many people thought Jagielka was worth a new deal off the back of Arsenal? Exactly.

People overreact terribly but we are in about the right position. In amongst West Ham, Watford, Leicester and Wolves.

Want to be above that as we should be? Recruit well and find a way to get rid of the deadwood. Not easy but that's the job Marcel and Marco have on this summer. They've had a year to plan it, impress us fellas.
People react illogically at every result. It was hard to find a positive. But other games this year when we played well and loss, people lost their minds.

The team is inconsistent because the players aren't great.

But my biggest area of improvement would be central and defensive midfield. Need 2 better players there to play with Gana and Sigurdsson.

And I'll simply ask WHY. Because he's classy on the ball? Is it not painfully obviously without stats that he's a complete cone in midfield when the other team has the ball?

He's a possession based player that's a cut above most in the premiership that wouldn't look out of place in teams above us. A massive reason for some of our best performances this year. Ball retention, passing, calmness, just the overall quality. It's why he went to Barca.

He's a possession based player that's a cut above most in the premiership that wouldn't look out of place in teams above us. A massive reason for some of our best performances this year. Ball retention, passing, calmness, just the overall quality. It's why he went to Barca.
Fair. I agree he's terrific when we are in possession. Good in transition, too. Doesnt create much, but helps us possess the ball. That's half the game. He's not so good in the other two phases. Need players in CM and DM that are good at both IMO.

Fair. I agree he's terrific when we are in possession. Good in transition, too. Doesnt create much, but helps us possess the ball. That's half the game. He's not so good in the other two phases. Need players in CM and DM that are good at both IMO.

You'll struggle to find both at a level of quality needed imo.

You can argue we've got the same problem with the number 10 spot and Sigurdson. Good at certain aspects, not good enough in others like keeping the ball or trying to break defences down.

It's all down to balance and systems. You look at the RS they have a whole midfield with the same player.

Personally, you'd get more from Gomes in a midfield 3. Which means sacrificing Sigurdson. At the moment he's in a 2 which probably shows his problems in that role

Got to build around Pickford, Keane and hopefully Zouma - Still think Mina can become a big player for us once settled. In midfield it’s Gana and Gomes and up top Richarlison, Bernard and Gylfi.

Admittedly it’s not the strongest core, but it’s a starting point, Digne and another marauding fullback with striker coming in adding quality would see us in a much better position - The fact our core isn’t that strong will eventually see us address the weakest areas each season and slowly build up.

DCL is still growing and I wouldn’t include him as a core player whilst he’s still learning and can and should be used more sparingly once we have a striker to be our focal point.

It won’t happen overnight.
For me the core of our team of players who are not replaceable or going to grow with the team are:

Pickford, Digne, Holgate, Davies, Richarlison, and DCL

Gomes and Zouma are still not yet a full part of the squad (hopefully they can be), Mina seems to be a good motivator but questionable as to if he’s a leader or if he can put a long string of games together, Gana is looking for his way out, Siggy doesn’t have to long of a future left, Keane has still has yet to show he can be the leader we need at the back, and Kenny is unconvincing.

Bernard is a tricky one because Silva wants a fluid front 3 that any player can be slotted at any position and still be at the top level sorta like the RS’s Mane Salah and Firmino. Also if he can’t be that player for us he’d have to start to play more centrally which Silva seems reluctant to do and if neither of those situations work or come to be it would be an easy decision to sell him because he was acquired on a free and all the money he is sold on will be pure profits which is a no brainer.

I still think we need a leader CB and game controlling CM. One to direct the team and one to direct the game. Would be awesome if Pickford could be the leader at the back but seems to be a whiny brat back there laughing at his mistakes and jumping at others.

But my biggest area of improvement would be central and defensive midfield. Need 2 better players there to play with Gana and Sigurdsson.

Really? I’d say midfield is the least of our problems. Up front is surely our biggest area for improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.