Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally lost me on this...you dont expect half the squad to be sold/loaned?
Let me ask you this : if Zoums and Gomes were the only acquisitions how would you feel? Would that feeling change if the momentum continues to build over the last few games?
Personally I would like to see a great striker come and maybe a young right back to back up/challenge Seamus, but I'm not so desperate for that now, since Seamus appears to be flying again.

Give it a rest with your negativity,?every one last summer said we would struggle to sell klassen & Mori who was injured all season and we still got 10mil for him.

Witt no World Cup and Brands having a full summer, I would imagine some deals are already done.

Most will go, but we will probably have to take a hit on a few. That will be balanced out imo by selling players that are in demand
Like Gana, Lookman, Vlasic
Lloydy my confused friend, I am nothing but positive. So much so that I feel that we are not too far off competing seriously with the squad that we have. I put it to you sir, that to change little may keep a steady ship pointing in the right direction. Nowt negative there.

Lloydy my confused friend, I am nothing but positive. So much so that I feel that we are not too far off competing seriously with the squad that we have. I put it to you sir, that to change little may keep a steady ship pointing in the right direction. Nowt negative there.
We are still 4 or 5 class players away from challenging the top 4 and that doesn’t include Gomes & Zouma. Yes the last 3 or 4 performances have been great, but let’s get real

Give it a rest with your negativity,?every one last summer said we would struggle to sell klassen & Mori who was injured all season and we still got 10mil for him.

Witt no World Cup and Brands having a full summer, I would imagine some deals are already done.

Most will go, but we will probably have to take a hit on a few. That will be balanced out imo by selling players that are in demand
Like Gana, Lookman, Vlasic

....I think it’s more about being pragmatic than negative. Bolasie and Sandro in particular will be difficult to shift given the length and size of contracts. It’s not impossible, but it will be difficult, that’s the reality.

It will take a while to get over the Walsh/Koeman debacle but Brands has done well so far.

....I think it’s more about being pragmatic than negative. Bolasie and Sandro in particular will be difficult to shift given the length and size of contracts. It’s not impossible, but it will be difficult, that’s the reality.

It will take a while to get over the Walsh/Koeman debacle but Brands has done well so far.
Bolasie has 2yrs left and we will take a big lose on him and may have to supplement his wages.

But they are 2 of potentially 20 players including youngsters that could leave this summer. We aren’t selling them all, so if we still have to loan a few out so be it.

I just can’t believe some on here are repeating themselves from last summer, No money, sell to buy, need to get the wages down Blah Blah Blah. And look what Brands and the club did. Well I’m positive about who we could buy this summer.

We are still 4 or 5 class players away from challenging the top 4 and that doesn’t include Gomes & Zouma. Yes the last 3 or 4 performances have been great, but let’s get real
Agreed, but in some ways top 6 is the new top 4. To get top 4 you have to finish above 2 from City, Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and that's not factoring in a rogue like Leicester. We can get there, but I feel for us it may be evolution not revolution.

Agreed, but in some ways top 6 is the new top 4. To get top 4 you have to finish above 2 from City, Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and that's not factoring in a rogue like Leicester. We can get there, but I feel for us it may be evolution not revolution.
The thing is, we need to show ambition to keep the likes of Richarlison, Bernard and digne and to sign the likes of Gomes.

They won’t be happy and will definitely be looking to move on if we are still around 7th and 8th in 2yrs. Ok so we would have a lot of money, but we would have to start again. I suppose this summer will tell us a lot about our ambition.

Only read this page from this thread today. Looks like common sense is breaking out, so I won't go any further back to see what looney tunes signing is floating about in the rumour mill.

Right back (to do what Lucas did at LB this season) please. Striker please. Loans to be signed up. Plus one other that can strengthen us and move the team along to Silva's desired style of play and maybe a loan. That'd be a good window for ins for me, given no emergencies crop up before next season. If only it were easy to move out the deadwood too, but I suppose they'll start to fall away now given time left on contracts dwindles away.

Yes Bolasie and Sandro are a problem , but I have faith in Brands to move them on.
It always amazes me how there are a pleathora of clubs willing to take players like them on loan.
So not a sale but a loan for a fee is the best solution.
My guess outgoings sales wise will be Vlasic , Lookman and Onyekuru.

Paves the way for 3/4 quality signings to come in.

I think a more apt example is Spurs in a PL context, they slowly climbed the rungs of the ladder to compete for the PL, CL, building a new ground with a strong history of player trading to enable them to get there.

Not sure many people have been to see Ajax, I have, they are a massive club. I think we are sometimes guilty of looking at other leagues down nose. Trust me competing for the Dutch title is very important in Holland. I would contend that no one in Amsterdam is bothered really about who wins the PL really, the 7th place battle or relegation. I think there is a tendency to be PLcentric. Apart from that, I could handle competing in the Europa League final and the Champions League the way they have this season, in essence whose to say the model doesn’t work, they are more successful then us historically and contemporily.

I’m surprised there is such debate over this, the reality is we have sold on almost all of our really best players for decades. Player trading in necessary and a reality for every club, bar none.

Yes very well put.

The reality is, particularly for Ajax that moving players on also predates the "modern game" and the expansion of value within it. It is rooted deeply in Dutch football, but also in both Dutch culture (and indeed the culture of Amsterdam). They are a tiny nation of sea-farers who travelled the world, some might return, others not. It's kind of an approach that has transmitted easily into the football. So this is not a modern thing that they look to trade and sell players on (although the speed with which they do it would be viewed differently) and perhaps sooner than previously.

They know that they cannot keep that team together and couldn't afford too. They buy the best young players in the world, and develop some of the best knowing there is a wider philosophy that they are moved on at anywhere from 19-24 for big fees. These pay for the enormous scouting budget they have but also the enormous expense they put into their academy. For the players involved they join Ajax knowing they will be given game time and the best coaching in the world as opposed to going to a more developed club where they won't be given that exposure.

The idea that you can take part of that outlook but then change fundamental bits of it and have the same results is just untrue. If they keep those players there will not be the ability to pay for the academy, for the scouting networks, for the youth coaching they have, for the next generation of players to come through etc. Yes they will have a great team, but when that team eventually fade (and most of those lads are on 2-3 year contracts) they will have lost the long term sustainability of the club.

So yes I think it's reasonable enough to say they are happy to move the players on, both from a practical viewpoint but also a philosophical one.

Those were a little different, both decent players, at a good age. Sandro is the closest, and he doesnt seem to be on their level.
Mori was rubbish. And not sure he’s even getting in the Villarreal team these days, was on the bench last night. And Klassen was getting destroyed by our fans last season for being so poor

I would imagine that Gomes is done and hopefully Zouma too but I don’t think we will have the likes of Neres wrapped up in a bow and announced the day the window opens. Our wages to income ratio is ridiculous and until we get rid of some wages I can’t see many being announced. Yes Williams Baines and Jags are out of contract and that will free up some wages and also Martina going will help a bit but we have to get rid of some of the big turkeys to bring in the new signings.
Realistically we need to get rid of four of Mirallas, Bolasie, Sandro, Schniederlin,Tosun, Walcott, McCarthy and Niasse. You are talking about 35 million in wages per year from players not contributing anything. We will be lucky to see the back of 3 permanently I think and the rest will be loans with us still paying %s of the wages.
I really don’t envy Brands with having to sell that cack in order to bring in the players he and Silva want.

Status
Not open for further replies.