Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not the clubs model anymore though. I really don't get why people are still not understanding this. We will be looking for younger up and coming players, does not mean they won't be good or not able to score loads, but the days of £50m players on massive wages are long gone.
Yep it's gonna be a patient one this model, People who want instant success or expecting us to splurge 40m on a striker is not getting the memo.

Rafael Leao looks legit then if Kirkbride is running with it now.

Marcel Brands' brief is to reinvent the club into a more European, financially healthy model.

Get rid of the big contract, low contribution players that Steve Walsh lumbered us with and bring in young players.

Grow a team out of those young players organically rather than trying to bolt one together and ideally sell one star every couple of years to facilitate further investment in the team.

It's how Ajax and PSV do things so it makes complete sense that Brands would be brought in to oversee building that infrastructure at the club.

We're going to be signing young players like Leao from now on. There won't be a top striker brought to "fill the Lukaku hole."

Best get used to it.

Last edited:
In a bum league. This portguese lad is a punt and has an average rate of 7 goals this season in an average league thats much less stronger than the Prem.

The Birmingham striker has scored around 1 in 2 in the championship which I think DCL could manage (and the likes of Dwight Gaye, Cameron Jerome etc. Who can score down there but not replicate it here).8

Im fine with us signing 2 strikers however one has to be a proven goal scorer from a decent league Haller, Jovic, Gomez, Dzeko etc.

Anything less and Silva is finished if we bring in 2 kids who dont score the goals as no way will we improve enough to realistically get 7th+ and thats whats needed to keep him in a job come next May 2 seasons in.
Jovic and Haller play in the Budesliga how are they proven? That league is just as gash as the Turkish one.
Dzeko is 33 and would require stupid wages for a man of his age which isn't want Brands want.

Rafael Leao looks legit then if Kirkbride is running with it now.

Marcel Brands' brief is to reinvent the club into a more European, financially healthy model.

Get rid of the big contract, low contribution players that Steve Walsh lumbered us with and bring in young players.

Grow a team out of those young players organically rather than trying to bolt one together and ideally sell one star every couple of years to facilitate further investment in the team.

It's how Ajax and PSV do things so it makes complete sense that Brands would be brought in to oversee building that infrastructure at the club.

We're going to be signing young players like Leao from now on. There won't be a top striker brought to "fill the Lukaku hole."

Best get used to it.

Furthermore, the criticisms of this Brands strategy is that it won't work in a league as competitive as this one and it only works in leagues like Eredivisie and at clubs like Ajax and PSV because they have zero danger of relegation. That's a fair comment that can't be disproved but even so, attempting to buy an out and out replacement for Lukaku is not going to happen and nor should it.

We bought Lukaku when he was relatively unproven and then sold him on for huge money down the line. We just invested it poorly. If you can't get a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker then spread your goals around. If big Red got an injury to any one of their front three, they'd still have two players who score goals. If Lukaku got an injury when he was here we were spannered on the goals front.

That is not the clubs model anymore though. I really don't get why people are still not understanding this. We will be looking for younger up and coming players, does not mean they won't be good or not able to score loads, but the days of £50m players on massive wages are long gone.
I'm not sure that's true.

I've said before that the comments Moshiri made at the AGM have seemingly been taken hugely out of context. There was nothing to suggest that our future model would be any different to the one employed last summer. I think the days of signing 29 year olds for £30m have gone, but Digne, Zouma, Bernard, Gomes would all fall into the 'proven' category I think, being internationals for tier 1 nations and (I think) all having played in the CL. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us spending decent money on players in their mid twenties.

I'm not sure that's true.

I've said before that the comments Moshiri made at the AGM have seemingly been taken hugely out of context. There was nothing to suggest that our future model would be any different to the one employed last summer. I think the days of signing 29 year olds for £30m have gone, but Digne, Zouma, Bernard, Gomes would all fall into the 'proven' category I think, being internationals for tier 1 nations and (I think) all having played in the CL. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us spending decent money on players in their mid twenties.
the model last year was to sign young unproven players or guys who had fallen somewhat to the wayside like Gomes and Zouma had. All i know is i have heard for a while now that we will not be buying anymore £50m big time signings on big wages ala Gylfi, the only reason it happened with Richarlison is that Silva was determined to have him here as part of the whole deal. As far as i know we are looking at players within the £20-30m price band.

the model last year was to sign young unproven players or guys who had fallen somewhat to the wayside like Gomes and Zouma had. All i know is i have heard for a while now that we will not be buying anymore £50m big time signings on big wages ala Gylfi, the only reason it happened with Richarlison is that Silva was determined to have him here as part of the whole deal. As far as i know we are looking at players within the £20-30m price band.
Yeah, you don't really need to have been hearing it for a while to be honest, it's what Moshiri broadcast to the world at the AGM. It's the wages that are the issue, which is why Richarlison isn't really in that bracket. What Moshiri was saying is we can afford £50m transfer fees but most £50m players want £200k a week and we can't pay it. Richarlison's fee was inflated because of the Watford situation (as Brands confirmed) so his wages weren't a stumbling block. I don't think there's any reason to believe our model will be any different to the one we implemented last season, and that means we could bring in proven players.

Yeah, you don't really need to have been hearing it for a while to be honest, it's what Moshiri broadcast to the world at the AGM. It's the wages that are the issue, which is why Richarlison isn't really in that bracket. What Moshiri was saying is we can afford £50m transfer fees but most £50m players want £200k a week and we can't pay it. Richarlison's fee was inflated because of the Watford situation (as Brands confirmed) so his wages weren't a stumbling block. I don't think there's any reason to believe our model will be any different to the one we implemented last season, and that means we could bring in proven players.
But the players we brought in last season were young and unproven, Digne had not made the grade at Roma or Barca and was now trying here, Zouma had relegated Stoke and is just not very good tbh, Gomes failed at Barca, the only player we pushed the boat out for was Bernard and that was because he was on a free. We are trying to revitalise these guys careers, that is our way now. What i was trying to point out originally was that some on here think we should go out and spend £70m on someone from a CL team who is going to score 20 a season, and that is just not the clubs way or how we do things anymore.

Exactly. Bringing in young players does not mean that we're only going to be buying from other clubs' U23 squads. It just means that we won't be looking at players who will demand wages in the £100K+ p/w bracket as if they don't work out they're a massive deadweight on the club's books.

Frankly, the cavalier spending that we did under the PE teacher could have left us in a much worse position than it has. Spending big on tripe is how clubs go down and stay down. At least the club has now recognized that and is taking steps to correct it and build a much better model.

But the players we brought in last season were young and unproven, Digne had not made the grade at Roma or Barca and was now trying here, Zouma had relegated Stoke and is just not very good tbh, Gomes failed at Barca, the only player we pushed the boat out for was Bernard and that was because he was on a free. We are trying to revitalise these guys careers, that is our way now. What i was trying to point out originally was that some on here think we should go out and spend £70m on someone from a CL team who is going to score 20 a season, and that is just not the clubs way or how we do things anymore.
That's never been how we do things though! If we'd been going out and signing £70m CL quality players then our wage bill wouldn't be an issue. It is, because we've been spending £30m on bottom half PL players instead. Our model is to move away from buying overpriced dross in their late 20s, not to only buy kids or cheap punts.

You can't call lads in their mid 20s with 20+ international caps for top nations 'unproven'. Digne coming here and doing really well won't 'prove' anything to Barcelona will it? He wasn't good enough for them, no shame in that, but he's not really revitalising his career, he's just stepping down a level. He also didn't fail at Roma, hence him getting the move to Barcelona in the first place. More players like the ones we signed last year is what I expect this summer, and hopefully a lot more going out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.