Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we are speaking broadly, but i think something that is lost is the absolute skill Ajax have in coaching and developing players. I know you are not making that point, but the equation is vastly more the buying and selling young players, i think they buy young players at a minimum and have probably gotten in to that as a respone given PSV, Alkmaar and Feyenoord have had success there particularly with players from South America. There is as impressive labyrinth of Ajax cells all around Amsterdam that no player of potential is missed, but the nurturing of that talent is absolutely technically fantastic. When you look at ajax players of note historically the vast majority are Amsterdam or broadly Dutch based. I would encourage anyone to visit Ajax it really is an enlighting experience. Its also embedded in the community in the way Amsterdam is Ajax crazy, it really is part of the social fabric, a huge honor and massive aspiration from a psychosocial perspective. Ajax gives to the community and the community gives to Ajax. That aids the terrific technical approach which really is quite advanced i would contend that younger players growing up in Amsterdam want to play for Ajax, more then the some young players in the UK want to play for PL clubs. Its almost like the prestige of wanting to play for the a national team.

I think were we differ with the model is we will never be able to solely do what Ajax do, we just dont have that context, recruitment area or probably carry that prestige locally that they do in Amsterdam. So we can do something on smaller scale with younger players, where we would have an advantage is in purchasing and keeping power to put simply, we can pay wages to attract as a starting point and laterally keep the better players if we like and also offer a higher exposure in the PL and possibly Europen football. That i see as an end game in a way though.

I keep coming back to Spurs as an example, they player traded for a decade until they broke the glass ceiling of the CL, which enabled them to have the purchasing power and profile to keep the likes of Kane, Eriksen, Alli etc. In short, i would suggest that player trading is essential to climb the rungs of the ladder, you will need to sell Bales, Defoes, Keanes, Berbatovs, to climb the rungs of a ladder until you break the glass ceiling, then achieve the purchasing power and the profile to keep, attract and be attractive to existing and new players.

I suppose what i am suggesting is that we need to be fluid in our thoughts on player trading, selling Richarlison for 120 mill, Digne for 60 mill and whoever in two years time seems like a terrible thing, but it actually may be necessary to enable the club to have a chance of breaking the glass ceiling, until we eventually get to the point of Spurs where its not necessary.

I agree with a lot of this. What I would say though is that we do many of the things Ajax do already. Our local prestige is very high with the work EITC does but we probably don't link things as well or ultimately publicise everything we do well enough. You do also have to factor in Amsterdam is much bigger than Liverpool (probably twice as big on any measurement) and Ajax have a major run at it where as have to share the city to a degree with Liverpool, so we should probably only get around 1/4 of the players they do which sounds about where we are at.

What I would say and have highlighted on here many times is that we often struggle to develop players from 18-24 for me. That is an areas Ajax and many others are much stronger. While DCL has improved enormously in this area few others have, so again that is an area we need to look at.

In truth I am not sure Ajax would be the model for us. Even if Ajax remove the vast majority of that team they don't finish lower than 6th. If they did that in the PL they could fall from say 3-6th (which is where they would likely be) to relegation fodder so you have to be very careful following that approach. The broad principles remain useful though and it will be interesting to the extent Brands follows them (having had similar experiences at PSV).

The Tottenham experience is probably quite a useful hybrid for us to look at. Most seasons a big player has left but they have generally kept it to one. They tend to give signings a lot of time to bed in, and don't bring too many in each season. Even lads like Sissoko look to have really improved under their guidance. Atletico Madrid look similar to me, they don't sell as much now though. I would imagine thats closer to who we are trying to emulate.

What is correct though is that we need to sell players. In truth I'd probably sell for probably 30% less than you indicated there. If we had a bid approaching £100million for Richarlinson he'd go and the same with Digne at 40 million. If we could add Neres and Leao for Richarlinson I'd be very happy.

....Everton’s Lewis Gibson named PL2 Player of the Month. It also seems Silva has him training with the first team. If the strategy is to release Baines and Jagielka, Gibson could be seen as the replacement.

Lets be honest here mate, if he wants to make that next step up next pre-season is important for him. If he's good enough he will likely make himself part of the first team squad at that moment.

This is going to be TL/DR and is far too Football Manager. I'm basically just posting for myself as I am bored in work.

To reduce the wage bill I'd be looking at trying to get rid of (and this is the very best case scenario where they all go and we don't contribute towards any loan wages):

Jagielka (end of contract) - 50K/week
Williams (end of contract) - 70K/week

Garbutt (sell/loan for final season) - 20K/week (estimate)
Galloway (sell/loan for final season) - 20K/week (estimate)
Mirallas (sell/loan for final season) - 70K/week
Niasse (sell/loan for final season) - 50K/week
Martina (sell/loan for final season) - 35K/week
McCarthy (sell/loan for final season) - 50K/week

Besic (sell) - 25K/week
Bolasie (sell/loan) - 70K/week
Ramirez (sell/loan) - 120K/week

Holgate (sell/loan) - 25K/week
Tosun (sell/loan) - 60K/week

= 611K/week
= £31.77m/year

Let's say we somehow recoup £40m in fees

Leaving us with a basic first team squad of 18 players:

Goalskeepers
Pickford
Stekelenburg

Right back
Coleman
Kenny

Centre Half
Keane
Mina

Left back
Digne
Baines

Midfielders
Gana
Schneiderlin
Davies

Attacking/wide midfielders
Bernard
Walcott
Lookman
Richarlison

Second Striker/No.10
Sigurdsson
Vlasic

No. 9
Calvert-Lewin

We sign:

Centre Half
Zouma. £35m. 80K/week

Midfielder
Gomes. £35m. 120K/week

Attacking/wide midfielders/second striker
£30m. 60K/week

Number 9
£30m. 60K/week

= 320K/week
= £16.64m/year

= £130m

Leaving us with a basic squad size of 22 players and a very settled side.

Net wage reduction

= 291K/week
= 15.13m/year

Net spend

= £90m

Now we just need to find that £90m, shift the huge amounts of dead wood, sign Gomes and Zouma and sprink a couple of magical signings on top.......

@davek What do we make of this big man?
It's a loan facility. No change. We can borrow off that lot and then pay back with interest.

Hopefully it means £60M will be spent on top of the incoming cash from player sales to give Silva a fighting chance at improving this squad. I wouldn't hold me breath though.

Reactions: Tez

This is going to be TL/DR and is far too Football Manager. I'm basically just posting for myself as I am bored in work.

To reduce the wage bill I'd be looking at trying to get rid of (and this is the very best case scenario where they all go and we don't contribute towards any loan wages):

Jagielka (end of contract) - 50K/week
Williams (end of contract) - 70K/week

Garbutt (sell/loan for final season) - 20K/week (estimate)
Galloway (sell/loan for final season) - 20K/week (estimate)
Mirallas (sell/loan for final season) - 70K/week
Niasse (sell/loan for final season) - 50K/week
Martina (sell/loan for final season) - 35K/week
McCarthy (sell/loan for final season) - 50K/week

Besic (sell) - 25K/week
Bolasie (sell/loan) - 70K/week
Ramirez (sell/loan) - 120K/week

Holgate (sell/loan) - 25K/week
Tosun (sell/loan) - 60K/week

= 611K/week
= £31.77m/year

Let's say we somehow recoup £40m in fees

Leaving us with a basic first team squad of 18 players:

Goalskeepers
Pickford
Stekelenburg

Right back
Coleman
Kenny

Centre Half
Keane
Mina

Left back
Digne
Baines

Midfielders
Gana
Schneiderlin
Davies

Attacking/wide midfielders
Bernard
Walcott
Lookman
Richarlison

Second Striker/No.10
Sigurdsson
Vlasic

No. 9
Calvert-Lewin

We sign:

Centre Half
Zouma. £35m. 80K/week

Midfielder
Gomes. £35m. 120K/week

Attacking/wide midfielders/second striker
£30m. 60K/week

Number 9
£30m. 60K/week

= 320K/week
= £16.64m/year

= £130m

Leaving us with a basic squad size of 22 players and a very settled side.

Net wage reduction

= 291K/week
= 15.13m/year

Net spend

= £90m

Now we just need to find that £90m, shift the huge amounts of dead wood, sign Gomes and Zouma and sprink a couple of magical signings on top.......
We may get 40mil but I think Brands will want to raise more. Schneiderlin will go, so will Gana imo. Lookman as well abd I think one of Vlasic/Onyekuru will go to if we get a good price maybe Walcott to.

That’s a big list but apart from Gana, non of the otters a first teams regulars. And A number are out on loan, no big loss, but Its a big job for Brands

I do think there will be one or two surprises this summer

No doubt he can.
Then it would show what a soft touch the club has become. The player's in question would be laughing all the way to the bank.
Just loan them every year left and take the fee's for them.
We aren't going to break into the top six without better players.With no CL we'll have to offer top money.If it's a case of sell before we buy enjoy a few more seasons of mid-table finishes and Richarlison,Bernard,Digne and Gomes (if we sign him) drifting off to greener pastures.

We aren't going to break into the top six without better players.With no CL we'll have to offer top money.If it's a case of sell before we buy enjoy a few more seasons of mid-table finishes and Richarlison,Bernard,Digne and Gomes (if we sign him) drifting off to greener pastures.
Everything about this post does not make any sense regarding wether we pay off the deadwood or loan them out for a fee.

Lets be honest here mate, if he wants to make that next step up next pre-season is important for him. If he's good enough he will likely make himself part of the first team squad at that moment.

...I think that’s spot on, when these youngsters get a chance they have to take it. I think Gibson will get a chance. Not often I promote one of these youngsters but I like Gibson lots, he just looks right. Going back to your post, i’m reminded of the 10 two letter word phrase that Gibson might want to take to mind;

‘If it is to be it is up to me’.

We had a run of 9/10 weeks following the derby when we were mostly poor. Prior to that we were decent, and in some games were showing the same form as the last few weeks. If we can keep hold of Gomes in particular, our first XI are literally 2 or 3 players away from pushing the top 6.

If we did as you say in the highlighted bit we'd probably be top 3 after 10 games next season.
Bollox. I'm not sugar coating anything. Post December 2nd until 9th February (even that last game was a good performance away to an in form Watford). Before that we were decent, sometimes very good and still within a few points of a CL spot.

Ive just quoted you from the 7th placed thread...

I think you make a very valid point and it can be disected a little;

1 -- Gomes/Digne/Bernard/Mina usually have xmas break.

2-- Mina / Gomes / Bernard were all injured when they joined and Sigurdsson had the WC

3 -- Players have disappointed

6 -- DCL has shown to be the only capable striker on the books.

More conculusions could be made...

It appears that this is our first choice 11;

Pickford
Coleman Keane Zouma Digne
Gana Gomes
Sigurdsson
Richarlison DCL Bernard
Looking beyond these players

GK -- Virginia needs to be tested
DF -- Jury is out on Mina, Kenny/Gibson perhaps?
MF -- Only Davies and possibly Vlasic
FW -- Lookman/ Onyekuru possibly

GK + RB + LB + DM + CM + WF + CF needed

This will allow us to rotate and lets not forget Mina,Richarlison and perhaps Bernard will be in the copa america this summer and Gana in the ACON (i think the date has changed)?

It will be interesting if we focus on quality competition, or adding a couple of first teamers or a mixture this summer.

Following on from above;

Pickford
Gana Gomes
Sigurdsson
Richarlison DCL Bernard
If we look at a potential 'second eleven' going into pre-season who could be in the first team squad;

Virginia
Kenny Mina Gibson ???
??? Vlasic
Lookman
??? ??? Onyekuru​

Clearly we dont have either strength in depth or quality rotation options.

I think there needs to be a 'Harry Rednapp-esque' summer window of wheeling and dealing.

We may not even improve the first 11 but by improving the competition we could end up with a more successful squad.

Following on from above;

Pickford
Gana Gomes
Sigurdsson
Richarlison DCL Bernard
If we look at a potential 'second eleven' going into pre-season who could be in the first team squad;

Virginia
Kenny Mina Gibson ???
??? Vlasic
Lookman
??? ??? Onyekuru​

Clearly we dont have either strength in depth or quality rotation options.

I think there needs to be a 'Harry Rednapp-esque' summer window of wheeling and dealing.

We may not even improve the first 11 but by improving the competition we could end up with a more successful squad.

You’re missing out quite a few players there. Baines, Schneiderlin, Davies, Walcott, Tosun.

I’m sure some of them may leave but only if they can be replaced.

You’re missing out quite a few players there. Baines, Schneiderlin, Davies, Walcott, Tosun.

I’m sure some of them may leave but only if they can be replaced.

Baines - out of contract
Schneiderlin - hated
Davies - Missed him out!
Walcott - hated
Tosun - Useless in this system

The point im trying to make is that none of these (bar Davies) will be or should be good enough to be viewed as rotation options next season.

If we are aiming for top 4 or top 6 we need quality depth.

Just signing 3 super players for the first 11 wont do this if our squad has numerous weak links.

Yes Bolasie and Sandro are a problem , but I have faith in Brands to move them on.
It always amazes me how there are a pleathora of clubs willing to take players like them on loan.
So not a sale but a loan for a fee is the best solution.
My guess outgoings sales wise will be Vlasic , Lookman and Onyekuru.

Paves the way for 3/4 quality signings to come in.

I understand the need for us to raise funds and lessen the wage bill, but selling players who have room for further development and with that large fees seems premature. There has to be a question on their importance to the team right now, which is fair, but the biggest question mark on these players is can we grow them beyond the fees that we can generate this summer. The answer to all three is yes, but can we offer them growth within our ranks or are we ready to get what we can?

With so little back up available they could easily be adequate back up, but that’s got to be balanced against what is in the market and which options would benefit us the most.

Lookman and Onyekuru look dangerous, I would be more willing to sell Walcott at this time. Vlasic is a difficult one as he looks talented but I suspect a second loan in a more challenging league would be best for him - to boost his value (I realise the risk could see his value slump, but he could crack on and get us a much bigger fee).

Status
Not open for further replies.