Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't worry about Delph too much. Aside from his ability, he won't be available on terms brands would go for.

Only way I'd see us going for someone of that profile (30+) is if the wages are squad player level, and on a short term deal, say 2 years.

On the above basis this rules Delph out.

He'd want a fairly hefty wedge, at least 3 year contract, and inexplicably I reckon he'd rate himself as more than a back up for us.

How do you know he’s a strong character. And he’s hardly played for city in what 4 years. Played some games out of position, at left back he’s also spent plenty of time on treatment table. Again he’s never been a regular for England, could you even remember one game for England where he stood out?

Delph has started 29 league games over the last 2 seasons for a team that has averaged 99 points. He's also started 6 CL games.

He may have been used as a squad player and in various position but he's got to be a good player to be getting starts in >30% of games in what is statistically the best team ever to play in top flight English football.

He may not be the right signing due to cost, age etc..but in terms of his quality he'd be starting most weeks for us. Very, very few of our players would start over 30% of league games for City in a 2 year period. Maybe only Digne. The fact Delph has done that shows his quality.

In saying that I wouldn't buy him. Need to be buying younger players will a high ceiling. Feels like the squad is experienced enough already unless they want someone with a winning mentality in the dressing room to help evolve the culture within the club.

How do you know he’s a strong character. And he’s hardly played for city in what 4 years. Played some games out of position, at left back he’s also spent plenty of time on treatment table. Again he’s never been a regular for England, could you even remember one game for England where he stood out?

If he was on a free, then maybe yes that wouldn’t be a bad thing. But to spend money on a player who doesn’t get in our 11. At his age is crazy imo.
I’d rather spend the money on a younger player who has potential to improve. Not on a player that we know what we are getting, which isn’t a lot .

If you watch the Manchester City documentary you can see what an influential player he is in the dressing room. Like I said the same was said about Garry Barry when we signed him. We need a mix of young players and influencial older players. I think he is ideal for the latter.

Can only see Delph as a back up plan if Gana goes and we cannot secure our present targets.

We always moan there is no plan B, this might be it

Think he is a good player and I would rather have him than Morgan playing alongside Gomes if Gana departs

But as @MarcelsGoat says it from a rag newspaper and a drunk journo and a bloke on twitter.....

Delph has started 29 league games over the last 2 seasons for a team that has averaged 99 points. He's also started 6 CL games.

He may have been used as a squad player and in various position but he's got to be a good player to be getting starts in >30% of games in what is statistically the best team ever to play in top flight English football.

He may not be the right signing due to cost, age etc..but in terms of his quality he'd be starting most weeks for us. Very, very few of our players would start over 30% of league games for City in a 2 year period. Maybe only Digne. The fact Delph has done that shows his quality.

In saying that I wouldn't buy him. Need to be buying younger players will a high ceiling. Feels like the squad is experienced enough already unless they want someone with a winning mentality in the dressing room to help evolve the culture within the club.
So who’s place is he taking in our team out of interest?
Also the 17/18 season city and an injury crisis at left back, so I would imagine most of them games he played were at left back. And they had won the league so easy that year, that he probably got a few token starts at the end of season

Also this season mendy was out injured again. And city had a few injuries in midfield this season. He played 11 games in the league last season. I’m not sure how many he started.

He’s played 57 games in 4 years for a team who play 60 games a season. That’s nothing special and take away the injury crisis at left back, that probably leaves 37. Count league cup games, early rounds of the FA cup, dead rubbers in Europe. And he’s not starting many important games.

If city have a fully fit squad, he wouldn’t even make the bench.

A lot of sense there. I would sign him though and boot Schneiderlin, Jimmy Mc. He is worth both their wages.

If you watch the Manchester City documentary you can see what an influential player he is in the dressing room. Like I said the same was said about Garry Barry when we signed him. We need a mix of young players and influencial older players. I think he is ideal for the latter.
Not for 30mil he isn’t. And he’s not in the same class as Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.