Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stoke missed an open goal (Arnautovic?) and it was a very lucky penalty to be awarded and then to hit Given on the head and roll in.
Last weeks game was dull but I never felt Stoke would score throughout the entire match.
Man City pummelled us last season, but for Stek having the game of his life we would have been steamrollered. If anything Citeh going down to 10 men galvanised them and we appeared to not know whether to stick or twist. It still took a poor header from Holgate to break us down.

I agree the creativity has dipped, but we look a lot more solid. Keane and Pickford have looked very good so far. We just need a bit of magic in attack (we may have that as we have yet to see Sig, Klaassen and Sandro settle in).
Yes, as I said, the goal was lucky.

The performance was good though, I just checked online to see if my memory was playing tricks on me but it wasn't. We had two shots cleared off the line and the BBC said 'Nevertheless, it was still a deserved victory for the hosts, who move up to second, with only a fine performance from Given denying them further goals.' City was undoubtedly better this year, although it was a pretty low bar last year in all honesty and they might not have pummelled us to quite the same extent had they been a man down for 50 minutes.

I think we looked pretty solid last year to be honest. We had the odd game where we really struggled defensively but we'll have to see whether the same thing happens when we play those teams again this year before we know how much better we are. I'd say the team is currently about the same level as it was last year, stronger in some areas and weaker in others, evening itself out. I think we lack a 'spark' in an attacking sense, as well as a consistent goal threat. Address that in the next week and we could be in for a great season.

Fair enough. I think last season before his groin strain you could see the predator in his game though.

We need someone in with that.

Im not sure mate, he has had another 10 games in the league under his belt since that injury and hasnt cut muster for me. Pellgrino is a good coach though and it is interesting he has gone for Gabbi over Austin who is capable of well into double digits in the PL. That said Austin is coming back from a bad injury.

I think we need someone different to Gabbi for me, he is someone who works angles for his goal and his finishing in that is his stregth, dirifiting out on the flanks and working a shot. We need a focal point centrally for first time ball and centrally in the box for crosses, presence and slotting, i really dont see Gabbi as that.

Lets be honest we are looking for a big grock upfront who can score headers and generally push people all over the gaff.

I think if it gets to £40M for a player like Sigurdsson you walk away...quickly. Let the selling club think about it and see the painful truth (for them) that no one else is coming in for Sigurdsson for £40M either and let them stew in their own piss before begging you to come back and give them £35M.
They wouldn't sell for 35. Why would they?

Again, YOU think we spent too much, but yet you offer up not a single alternative. I know many share your sentiment, but that's the market, it just IS.

Dennis Praet anyone? If we are really hijacking Newcastle's transfer for this kid, I finally see no present or future for Ross. We are basically getting a guy that already plays like the way Koeman wants Ross to play.

Can't really think of one that would lead the line and score goals that is available or likely to become available this window,at whatever price.
But that's exactly what I was saying. People can say Giroud, Benteke, Slimani, Dembele, Dolberg, King, Janssen, Jorgensen, Kalinic, Perez, Welbeck etc etc but somebody will always come back saying 'but...'. Truth is, we don't know who the targets are, or how likely any of them are to come here. These are just rumours and wish lists, that's all we can go on.

But that's exactly what I was saying. People can say Giroud, Benteke, Slimani, Dembele, Dolberg, King, Janssen, Jorgensen, Kalinic, Perez, Welbeck etc etc but somebody will always come back saying 'but...'. Truth is, we don't know who the targets are, or how likely any of them are to come here. These are just rumours and wish lists, that's all we can go on.

Agree.

If any of the above were on our radar surely the club would have made an offer before now.

It's gonna be a deadline day scrum and i got a feeling its gonna be a Vardy or Deeney signing. (n)

Why on earth didn't we go after Gabbiadini at S'ton?

We should have used the Sigurdsson cash for a player who can slot and play anywhere intelligently in a three man attack. He would have been ideal for Rooney to play alongside. Very intelligent player.
Gabbiadini can't finish to save his life.

I'd rather get Welbeck

I think if it gets to £40M for a player like Sigurdsson you walk away...quickly. Let the selling club think about it and see the painful truth (for them) that no one else is coming in for Sigurdsson for £40M either and let them stew in their own piss before begging you to come back and give them £35M.

B, B, But....Leicester were knocked back at 40m.

Oh my :blush:

Yep.

As soon as Lukaku left the first player through the door should have been a big statement signing of a CF to replace him.

Now...as a direct result of pursuing Sigurdsson so hard...we are in a very panicky situation casting round for a forward.

I would not be surprised if we did a loan deal now.
You don't think we were looking for a new CF whilst the Sigurdson saga rolled . ?
Surely we have the ability to do more than one thing at a time ?

Agree.

If any of the above were on our radar surely the club would have made an offer before now.

It's gonna be a deadline day scrum and i got a feeling its gonna be a Vardy or Deeney signing. (n)

Would be disappointed if either or...............but strangely would be delighted if we got both............ I've managed to confuse myself. :hayee:

That may have been the case last year, but definitely not this year, and probably never again.

I still think we're hanging on hoping that Giroud will decide to leave Arsenal's bench at the death

I reckon the fall back position is Slimani.
why we don't just bid for Giroud is beyond me. Arsenal are happpy for him to leave, Wengers confirmed that. Get Giroud and his people around the table and sell the project to them. This isn't the sort of deal that can be done on transfer deadline day.

Status
Not open for further replies.