Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think this reflects both clubs owners businesses, FSGs entire business portfolio has been cut of income for three months, they will have lost hundreds of millions collectively already... Metalloinvest and Megafon arent listed but their competitors havent been badly damaged by the virus

Yes I mean I've tried to keep the focus on the two clubs there. But yes it's hard to not put the ownership into the picture. USM, Moshiri, Usmanov etc are all earning billions from this, and will continue too. They have very diverse, and fundamentally just much richer portfolio's. They also likely have more tangible assets, (be it gas, oil or machinery) that will be available after this.

FSG's wealth is almost entirely based upon sports teams. That is extremely volatile, and has taken a massive plunge. It may well be that the value of the assets they have is worth less than the liabilities they have. A lot of their implied wealth will be based upon crazy projections of what say Liverpool is worth 2bn. Id rather have 2bn worth of gas, than a football club showing that.

You add in America is a pretty horrific market to be centred in currently, with a maniac in charge who is going to take increasingly short term decisions that benefit himself, but burden the US market in the medium term.

If FSG get in trouble, they will just start selling players from Liverpool.

When it's all factored in, they are in a far worse position than us.

This might be a less exciting summer then i was hoping for in terms of outs, the Covid situation might make moving assets and being caught short in squad numbers tricky.

2020 - we are loosing Cuco, Niasse and Steck. Not a huge free up of wages in the big scheme.

2021 - Morgan, Walcott, Bolaise, Sandro, Besic, Dowell, Pennigton, and a few others - really i would have expected us to look at shifting those this summer and clearing up the accounts, hopefully to some kind of fee and financial benefit.

Just seems unlikely now, unless loans or swaps become the thing.

Massive pity if we are lumbered with a lot of the above just running down contracts and leaving on a frees come 2021.

It's going to be very hard to move people on. We are fortunate we have a lot of contracts up next season. You wouldn't want to be a club that has commitment to lots of players on 3/4/5 year deals. Wages will start to reduce.

Sheffield United's midfield is also a lot better than Everton's, and none of those mentioned would get a game there, either.

He's far from the answer, and his injury record has been less than impressive, but we're talking about offering competition for some of the poorest players in the division.

It actually isn’t, the likes of John Fleck and John Lundstram are far outperforming their ability levels this season. Like people who said Danny Drinkwater was a top midfielder based on the title winning season.

Besic instantly becomes our worst midfielder upon returning.

The echo saying loans and frees but we must have a few quid even in this situation. I would say we have around 50m and will have to use all that in midfield. One CM and one RW. Maybe loan in a CB and right back. Take a free or two. It's grim because apparently we had all our business lined up and this situation has collapsed deals like Gabriel seemingly.

Why has it collapsed deals for us? I thought we may have been able to take advantage of the situation given who is controlling things behind the scenes at the club. Didn't think money would be much on an issue.

Is the worry about FFP (and reduced turnover in a covid19 world) stopping us spending?

50M would be more than most though. Think there will be a lot of value in the market come late August/September. Teams will need to sell to get players off the wage bill. I'd be looking at the relegated teams and players like Buendia, Cantwell, Mings, Rice, Grealish, McGinn, Aarons, Fraser (on a free), Ake, Doucoure, Dunk, Sarr, Maupay, Haller. Not all those players will be at relegated teams but some will be and may be available cheaper than normal. Also restricted funds may mean they aren't mopped up by the Top 6 and may leave us in a good position to strike.

Ake and Buendia would be absolutely brilliant buys with the right age profile and would fit the system. I like Cantwell too but not sure where he fits. Great prospect though. I also quite like Maupay as an alternative up front. For his 1st season in the top league he's scored at a reasonable rate for a club that struggles to score.

Why has it collapsed deals for us? I thought we may have been able to take advantage of the situation given who is controlling things behind the scenes at the club. Didn't think money would be much on an issue.

Is the worry about FFP (and reduced turnover in a covid19 world) stopping us spending?

50M would be more than most though. Think there will be a lot of value in the market come late August/September. Teams will need to sell to get players off the wage bill. I'd be looking at the relegated teams and players like Buendia, Cantwell, Mings, Rice, Grealish, McGinn, Aarons, Fraser (on a free), Ake, Doucoure, Dunk, Sarr, Maupay, Haller. Not all those players will be at relegated teams but some will be and may be available cheaper than normal. Also restricted funds may mean they aren't mopped up by the Top 6 and may leave us in a good position to strike.

Ake and Buendia would be absolutely brilliant buys with the right age profile and would fit the system. I like Cantwell too but not sure where he fits. Great prospect though. I also quite like Maupay as an alternative up front. For his 1st season in the top league he's scored at a reasonable rate for a club that struggles to score.
Good point on the relegated players that's where we should look and foreign markets. The deals collapsed because we no longer have the same finance that's the reality for all clubs.

If FSG get in trouble, they will just start selling players from Liverpool.

When it's all factored in, they are in a far worse position than us.

Good post and easy to see why they are on a slippery slope financially if FSG start to use assets from the RS to prop up their wider sporting portfolio

No Werner signing is hopefully the start of things. Most of their decent players will be approaching 30 and their legs falling off before they have money to replace them (i.e. post covid19 and probably summer 2021). In the meantime I can see the big clubs picking at the bones of their financial mess and trying to get the few top players they have (Mane, Salah, Alisson, Van Dijk) at a cheap price. Bit like what Barcelona did for Suarez.

Think they probably have 1 or 2 seasons max with this squad where they can potentially challenge for PL and CL (if that competition goes ahead). After that they'll struggle big time and revert back to being a team that challenges for Top 4 and wins a cup every 5-10 seasons.

Good point on the relegated players that's where we should look and foreign markets. The deals collapsed because we no longer have the same finance that's the reality for all clubs.

Relegated clubs and clubs throughout Europe that survive and have built their financial model on player sales are the clubs anyone with money to spend should be looking at. It's where the bargains will be.

Whats Kirkdale said?
He said last week because of covid it would be Loans, frees and swaps this summer.
But also said it would be quality over quantity. And Hwang from Salzburg is a major target. Not sure how all that works.

And personally don’t think he’s ITK, just probably 3rd hand information.
Like he didn’t think the mention Mina’s injury for 5 days. And it was left to Paul Joyce to be the first to break the story.

Now boyland, Kirkbrides side kick on the Athletic has said some of the players were reluctant to take deferrals, because of the rumours of big signings. And it went quiet for a bit, before they agreed, or words to that effect.

So some are classing that as a negative and some as a positive. Who knows.

It actually isn’t, the likes of John Fleck and John Lundstram are far outperforming their ability levels this season. Like people who said Danny Drinkwater was a top midfielder based on the title winning season.

Besic instantly becomes our worst midfielder upon returning.
And one has to work hard to be our worst midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.