Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tierney too from last summer.

30m on Torreira isn't great.

Mkhitaryan isn't a great one either.

Then going back a few years they spent close to 80m combined on the quartet of Chambers, Welbeck, Debuchy and Gabriel Paulista.

Reading through it actually went worse than I thought it would.

Also last summer they just totally ignored areas of need and instead spent big on an additional attacker that has made it hard to play Lacazette and Aubameyang, bought a LB which is the one spot they had a serviceable option and patched up the center with David Luiz. It was a bewildering window.

Tierney who cost £25m and was doing well till an injury
Torriera who cost £26m who was also a very good CM addition till his injury and Emery trying to play him as an attacking CM.
Mkhitaryan was a swap deal which took a £350k a,week player off the books and will probably be sold for £10-15m to Roma.
Callum Chambers £18m
Debuchy £13.5m
Welbeck £18m
Paulista £13.5m sold to Valencia for £9.9m 3 yrs later
Welbeck and Gabriel got Arsenal to 2 FA cup finals..combined value of all 4 players is £57m

Arsenal spent last summer chasing 4 main targets
Zaha- Palace wouldn't budge on £90m fee
Pepe- Got for an inflated price but he's 22yrs old and has shown some glimpses of his talent. Have to remember it's his 1st season in a faster more physical
league.
Saliba- £25m fee but St Etienne wouldn't allow him to leave till 20/21 season
Upamecano- RBL refused to budge on very high valuation.
Luiz was bought as a cheap experienced alternative for £7.8m

Arsenal like most clubs have had their fair share of hit and misses but £300m/£400m spent on dross is an exaggeration.

Torriera who cost £26m who was also a very good CM addition till his injury and Emery trying to play him as an attacking CM.
Mkhitaryan was a swap deal which took a £350k a,week player off the books and will probably be sold for £10-15m to Roma.
Callum Chambers £18m
Debuchy £13.5m
Welbeck £18m
Welbeck and Gabriel got Arsenal to 2 FA cup finals..combined value of all 4 players is £57m

Pepe- Got for an inflated price but he's 22yrs old and has shown some glimpses of his talent. Have to remember it's his 1st season in a faster more physical
league.

Arsenal like most clubs have had their fair share of hit and misses but £300m/£400m spent on dross is an exaggeration.
You guys have had a pretty patchy record on transfers since the deadline day panic after the 8-2 game. It isn't the worst out there, but your competition is really City, Spurs, United, Chelsea and the RS and I have you guys 5th at best.

Ndidi is one of the best examples of using stats, recruiting based on specific attributes and recruiting based on what someone could be and not what they are. Also a good example of how sticking to a process works. Anyone remember who the original Kante replacement was supposed to be for them? Nampalys Mendy didn't work out but they trusted the process and came up with Ndidi 6 months later.
The self righteousness in this post made me cringe.
Whatever mate, you all think I'm dumb and occasionally I like to point out that what I'm saying works out really well for teams that typically aren't Everton.

One issue with the 1st poat, he was a highly rated player when they signed him. I wrote at the time "hes a good player we missed out there" or something similar.

So the stats example is a bit obtuse as by watching him he was highly rated.

One issue with the 1st poat, he was a highly rated player when they signed him. I wrote at the time "hes a good player we missed out there" or something similar.

They aren't exclusive things. The fact that they replaced Kante, a player with high volume defensive stats in midfield, with initially that Mendy fellow, similar statistics in France, and then Ndidi, who also had super high defensive volume numbers in Belgium, suggest to me that they used the numbers to pick their targets. I don't expect that they didn't watch them afterward, but I don't really see that as some massive coincidence. I'd imagine that they've carried it over to other parts of their team as, for example, Chilwell and Pereira have similar skillsets. At the very least it is an example of knowing the players that fit what you're trying to build, something that we haven't mastered at all.

You guys have had a pretty patchy record on transfers since the deadline day panic after the 8-2 game. It isn't the worst out there, but your competition is really City, Spurs, United, Chelsea and the RS and I have you guys 5th at best.

No more patchy than the other 3.
Chelsea,City are not in our league in spending, even with Abramowich being tighter on funds.

No more patchy than the other 3.
Chelsea,City are not in our league in spending, even with Abramowich being tighter on funds.
I think there is a pretty solid gap at least before Spurs last summer with Ndombele, but I appreciate you're never likely to feel that with your club.

Callum Chambers £18m
Debuchy £13.5m
Welbeck £18m

league.

Pepe is 24 and no way has he lived up to his 70mil price tag. Imagine had we spent that on him. We would be getting destroyed by the media.
Arsenal definitely a case of a cockney media friendly club, protected by the media.

Xhaka, Mustafi and Lacazette also cost around 120mil

Do you try take credit for every player ever? Reminding me of them lot signing every news article on Twitter with YNWA.

Status
Not open for further replies.