Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
£30m would be absolute dreamland stuff for that group, I would honestly have no qualms whatsoever in letting all of them go for free.
In footballing terms I agree. But even after amortisation we'd still be making a big loss on them collectively which would hit us quite hard as regards FFP. Losing the salaries would be good though.

Im pretty certain Hughes got City into 4th which led to Mancini who signed the likes of Aguero, Toure etc.

The point being some of our fans scoff at any suggestion of a player who isnt either CL quality or 18 and rated 88 potential after 2 seasons on FIFA.

If a player like Danny Ings or Docoure is available for the "right price" and we signed them I for one would be happy as the squads improved. Yes you can sprinkle fairy dust around those signings with an Everton Soares type if available - but we would have saved alot of money on transfer fees and wages had we signed a Danny Ings or Jamie Vardy type for £20-25 million rather than £50+ million on the likes of Tosun, Sandro & Niasse.

Mark Hughes did not get City into 4th. I think they finished something like 8th in his first season (their only major signing that summer was Robinho) and he was canned the next season when the likes of Lescott and Adebayor were all drafted in. They finished 5th in that season I think under Mancini and that is the last time they have finished outside the top 4.

You're right in saying that they went through a spell where they signed solid Premier league quality before they started getting the absolute world beaters in, but the likes of Craig Bellamy, Shay Given, Joleon Lescott, Gael Clichy and Emmanuel Adebayor were all better than the players you are suggesting we sign - they were comparatively much cheaper as well.

In this age of bonkers fees, it makes bargain hunting for under the radar quality much more important. We need much better in our team but just splashing serious money on which ever experienced Premier league player is having a purple patch is not the way to go.

Mark Hughes did not get City into 4th. I think they finished something like 8th in his first season (their only major signing that summer was Robinho) and he was canned the next season when the likes of Lescott and Adebayor were all drafted in. They finished 5th in that season I think under Mancini and that is the last time they have finished outside the top 4.

You're right in saying that they went through a spell where they signed solid Premier league quality before they started getting the absolute world beaters in, but the likes of Craig Bellamy, Shay Given, Joleon Lescott, Gael Clichy and Emmanuel Adebayor were all better than the players you are suggesting we sign - they were comparatively much cheaper as well.

In this age of bonkers fees, it makes bargain hunting for under the radar quality much more important. We need much better in our team but just splashing serious money on which ever experienced Premier league player is having a purple patch is not the way to go.

And by doing that we've lashed the following money on speculative punts:

£27 million - Tosun
£27 million - Kean
£13 million - Niasse
£5 million - Sandro
£24 million - Klaassan

Forgive me for laughing at the suggestion that our policy has been stellar as it hasn't anymore than when we were splashing out on players like Bolasie and Keane.

You need a mix, every transfer can go tits up - you could sign Everton Soares for £30 million and he be class or come to England and be a powderpuff flop who's back to Gremio for a few bob after 2 years out on loan.

But its okay - Arsenal and Brands must know less than fans if they thought Zaha was good enough for us, same as all those laughing at Ings & Grealish who are making everyone look daft - oh and that bum Gana Gueye who was holding us back and wouldn't be missed...

in fairness apart from the punts we took since moshri came in we have signed atleast PL regulars for their teams... see pickford,keane,walcott,delph,snides,bolasie and at a push iwobi and richyson. hopefully that means we are past stage 1 and be regulars in CL soon ;)

I hate this glorification of 90s football - it's just the era you grew up in so that's why you love it. What is it you think was so much better?
The amount of home grown players playing the leagues, money wasn’t ridiculously thrown around on average players, clubs were owned by British owners, sponsors were mainly from the uk (i agree if I was around earlier I would of liked the previous decades too) the 90’s kits were legendary, GAZZA, Everton last won a trophy in the 90’s!!! NEVILLE SOUTHALL, fat ronaldo, ANDREI KANCHELSKIS, Euro 96, Andy Cole scoring 40+ goals, I could go on forever but like you said it was the era I grew up in

The amount of home grown players playing the leagues, money wasn’t ridiculously thrown around on average players, clubs were owned by British owners, sponsors were mainly from the uk (i agree if I was around earlier I would of liked the previous decades too) the 90’s kits were legendary, GAZZA, Everton last won a trophy in the 90’s!!! NEVILLE SOUTHALL, fat ronaldo, ANDREI KANCHELSKIS, Euro 96, Andy Cole scoring 40+ goals, I could go on forever but like you said it was the era I grew up in

Uk sponsors?, remind me who our sponsor was in 95 mert.
Uk players then you mention Andrei.

LOL

If we found another Kanchelskis we'd be top 4 next season.

He was that good.

Uk sponsors?, remind me who our sponsor was in 95 mert.
Uk players then you mention Andrei.

LOL

Just because our main sponsor wasn’t uk based it doesn’t mean everyone else’s ? You do realise that there’s more than one sponsor per team don’t you?
He was one of the majority playing in the league and one of the best, he wasn’t a below average foreign player like we and other PL teams go for now days....

Status
Not open for further replies.