Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point we simply must accelerate the improvement process. We’re 12th in the league, another couple of years like this and the likes of Digne, Gomes etc are the same age as the bloke you’re saying is too old to sign. We can’t just be in this never ending cycle of 5 year plans where we say everyone has to be patient and then three years into it all the best players have got bored of being mid table and moved and we need to start all over again. Something has to push us into the top 6, to give us a bit of a foothold to build from. I have no idea if signing Allan will do that, but if Ancelotti thinks it will help then I’m all for it.
I think the point is more, we need the correct 5 year plan. If we take a manager's appointment as the start of a 3 or 5 year cycle, have we really got it right yet?

Koeman? After a year of him steering the ship backed with Moshiri, Kenwright and Steve Walsh - it looked chaos after 18 months

Allardyce? Whilst we all doubted it was a long term relationship, Moshiri did say "Sam can take this as far as he wants" or words similar. It was a car crash in everything but end of season position.

Silva? 4 or 5 months of good form in 18 months. A smattering of poor transfer decisions. According to the Athletic, poor judgements on player fitness / readiness for the season (Gbamin). I look back at the playing style now too and I just couldn't see how he was setting us up to create chances this season.

Now we have Ancelotti and Brands. Unfortunately, it's another reset. But in my opinion, if we can't get it right with these two - dissolve the club. But Ancelotti, and Brands for that matter, can't be judged on what has been constructed for different people in the past. It needs a steady build.

On Allan specifically, I agree with you. He's got good pedigree and has worked under Carlo before. Would I (and I don't think you would) be advocating 4 or 5 similar signings this summer? Absolutely not.

I think the point is more, we need the correct 5 year plan. If we take a manager's appointment as the start of a 3 or 5 year cycle, have we really got it right yet?

Koeman? After a year of him steering the ship backed with Moshiri, Kenwright and Steve Walsh - it looked chaos after 18 months

Allardyce? Whilst we all doubted it was a long term relationship, Moshiri did say "Sam can take this as far as he wants" or words similar. It was a car crash in everything but end of season position.

Silva? 4 or 5 months of good form in 18 months. A smattering of poor transfer decisions. According to the Athletic, poor judgements on player fitness / readiness for the season (Gbamin). I look back at the playing style now too and I just couldn't see how he was setting us up to create chances this season.

Now we have Ancelotti and Brands. Unfortunately, it's another reset. But in my opinion, if we can't get it right with these two - dissolve the club. But Ancelotti, and Brands for that matter, can't be judged on what has been constructed for different people in the past. It needs a steady build.

On Allan specifically, I agree with you. He's got good pedigree and has worked under Carlo before. Would I (and I don't think you would) be advocating 4 or 5 similar signings this summer? Absolutely not.
Yeah that's kind of what i'm getting at really. I think sometimes fans talk about it as if a 5 year plan means you have to accept being rubbish for 4 years in the hope that you come good in the 5th, which I just don't agree with. Where I would slightly disagree is for me the whole point of a DoF should be that you can seamlessly change from one manager to another without having to reset your plan. Whether we've done that I don't know, but it's a major failing on Brands if we haven't.

I think if we don't start making inroads soon then it would suggest this cycle is failing. Another season like the last two would likely mean that at least some of Pickford, Keane, Mina, Iwobi, Davies, Bernard, Holgate, and Gomes would have to be shown the door. Realistically, at least 4 or 5 of those can't be performing at the required level if we're still not pushing the top 6, and they'd all have had plenty of opportunity by that point. That's just the players we generally rate, i'm ignoring the Colemans and Sigurdssons who people already want replacing. Conversely if the likes Holgate, DCL, Digne and Richarlison in particular play well but we still don't get there, they're quite likely to be considering whether they really want to stay. I'd really like us to avoid doing that, so doing what we can to accelerate our improvement is fine by me. Like you say, I don't want us to go and sign a load of geriatrics, but bringing in targeted players who we think can lift the whole side seems like a perfectly sensible plan to me.

Yeah that's kind of what i'm getting at really. I think sometimes fans talk about it as if a 5 year plan means you have to accept being rubbish for 4 years in the hope that you come good in the 5th, which I just don't agree with. Where I would slightly disagree is for me the whole point of a DoF should be that you can seamlessly change from one manager to another without having to reset your plan. Whether we've done that I don't know, but it's a major failing on Brands if we haven't.

I think if we don't start making inroads soon then it would suggest this cycle is failing. Another season like the last two would likely mean that at least some of Pickford, Keane, Mina, Iwobi, Davies, Bernard, Holgate, and Gomes would have to be shown the door. Realistically, at least 4 or 5 of those can't be performing at the required level if we're still not pushing the top 6, and they'd all have had plenty of opportunity by that point. That's just the players we generally rate, i'm ignoring the Colemans and Sigurdssons who people already want replacing. Conversely if the likes Holgate, DCL, Digne and Richarlison in particular play well but we still don't get there, they're quite likely to be considering whether they really want to stay. I'd really like us to avoid doing that, so doing what we can to accelerate our improvement is fine by me. Like you say, I don't want us to go and sign a load of geriatrics, but bringing in targeted players who we think can lift the whole side seems like a perfectly sensible plan to me.
People would have been in uproar at us signing Andy gray now, 28 and bad injury record. Think he did ok for us. There are others that didn't. You take a chance sometimes they work out sometimes they dont

I think that was the plan with brands and silva and bringing in a young manager with a DOF, for hopefully a bit of longevity. And if silva didn’t work out you replace with a similar style manager.

And hopefully the team keeps improving a long that way. You will lose your very best players like Richarlison, but you reinvest and carry on building. Maybe you sell Digne at 28 for profit and buy a younger version or a quality kid from the academy takes his place.

But I think once Ancelotti was available and Moshiri knew he was interested, that plan went off course, if only for a few years. And rightly so imo.

You don’t hire someone like Ancelotti, pay him and his team potentially 100mil in salaries over 4.5 yrs and give him a bunch of kids to work with.
I still think we will sign younger players. But I expect over the next few windows to sign a number of 26 to 29yr olds

I think that was the plan with brands and silva and bringing in a young manager with a DOF, for hopefully a bit of longevity. And if silva didn’t work out you replace with a similar style manager.

And hopefully the team keeps improving a long that way. You will lose your very best players like Richarlison, but you reinvest and carry on building. Maybe you sell Digne at 28 for profit and buy a younger version or a quality kid from the academy takes his place.

But I think once Ancelotti was available and Moshiri knew he was interested, that plan went off course, if only for a few years. And rightly so imo.

You don’t hire someone like Ancelotti, pay him and his team potentially 100mil in salaries over 4.5 yrs and give him a bunch of kids to work with.
I still think we will sign younger players. But I expect over the next few windows to sign a number of 26 to 29yr olds
Yeah totally agree. If we're happy treading water around 8th for the next couple of years then Ancelotti was a dreadful appointment, both because of the cost and the fact that he has no real track record of being able to do that with a team. I think, and certainly hope, that he's been brought in because we think we need to play catch up a bit.

Delph was not brought in to play every week, he hasn't had the ability to play every week and stay fit for some time.

He can cover a number of positions and is a useful member of the squad.
The injuries to Gbamin and Gomes and even Schneiderlin last season meant that we became reliant on him and he was never good enough to be the key player in a midfield.

I still him as a useful squad player covering positions in case of injury or suspension.

Yeah totally agree. If we're happy treading water around 8th for the next couple of years then Ancelotti was a dreadful appointment, both because of the cost and the fact that he has no real track record of being able to do that with a team. I think, and certainly hope, that he's been brought in because we think we need to play catch up a bit.
I think the appointment of Ancelotti on it's own shows the club has greater ambitions than eight place .
Moshiri, I believe has realised that if you are going to spend large amounts of money then you need somebody in charge who can both attract and manage players who can operate at a high level.
It has been an expensive lesson for him.

Keans scored 1 goal and is garbage.

Toshun is well tosh.

Abraham would easily be in and around our starting 11 especially if we hope to qualify for europe and need a bigger squad. Lads a good age and seems a bit of a slotter.

Bring him home Brands lad!
Keans crap mate - the sooner you PES boys accept you've been sold a pup the better.

We are one bad injury up top (which isn't far fetched when it comes to our Mengele led medic team) to having just 1 half decent striker to choose from.

Absolutely ludicrous if we dont sign a CF this summer.
3 months lad lets stop pretending DCL is proven quality when he has ALOT to prove still lol

Keans rubbish - numerous off the field shenanigans, hooked after 5 minutes by Dunc for looking like a pished fan out on the pitch, 1 goal all season.

If he is to improve it wont be in England.

My god, i mean at least you have moved on from trashing DCL since my post in the other thread

Do i really need to break Kean down for you as well ffs?

lad, get a grip and relax, if you cannot see the qualities Kean possesses i really do question your evaluation of footy players

Everybody that writes Kean off as I have said before need to give their issues with the need for instant gratification a rest and go and get a hug

its embarrassing

Hojbjerg might not be a sexy signing but we need considerably better than what we currently have and that's pretty much him. If we can get him on a relatively decent fee and wages absolutely.
I think there’s a few we could definitely buy for cheap, ( under 20mil) others linked like Wendel, sangare And koopminers. Them 3 would be a bit of a gamble. And maybe buying Allan to go with one of them wouldn’t be a bad thing.

But Højbjerg has the prem experience and seems to be improving every season. The problem is his price won’t come down till right at the end of the window if he refuses to sign a new deal. So that would maybe alert spurs, maybe even Arsenal who apparently are looking at the midfield area.
Catch 22 I suppose.

The incredibly obvious retort to that being if Delph was actually good he would have cost more.
I mean that's clearly not true as Gareth Barry was actually good and cost less. There is always value to be found.

I'm not saying never sign old players just not this particular one nor basically any other one who is being quoted at 30m minimum. I wouldn't want us to sign Luka Modric at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.