Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where to put this but The Athletic have a 90 day free trial at the moment. I have just signed up and cancelled the auto subscription straight away.

Seen a few decent looking articles and they have a few quailty journos too so im going to give it a try (the previous 7 day trial didnt convince me).

So if your looking for transfer news (if there is any) or just everton stuff then its worth a try.
Been on it for about 6 months mate, it's very good. Well worth the subscription.

Linked with Andrea belotti according to some article I read today?.. never heard of him but after a bit of research I see he’s a Italy international striker who plays at Torino and does a interesting celebration like a rooster when he scores

I think the way to calculate this is a bit differently.

If Bale + James are on £600k and £300k a week = £900k.

Real just want them off the books so zero transfer fee.

Instead of say a £60mil transfer fee, it would equal £385k a week over 3 years.

Thats already £192,500 each in salary over 3 years.

I think we could put those amounts into performance payments and then pay £100k a week for James and £200k a week for Bale in wages.

That would cover both of them for: £60mil + £300k a week in wages.

The one thing for me would be where Bale and James would play. Would Bale go back to his olf left sided position with James on the right?

Not sure how James would do in the prem in a 442 centrally...

This is the saddest thing the internet has ever wrought.

Zat there just casually explaining away how we pay Gareth Bale 600k a week.
In situations we are in, we are going to go through major economic volatility, and volatility in football I don't think we've witnessed in a general or more. What situations like this throw up is a completely different picture in quite a short space of time.

One consequence, I find hard to not to imagine is league wide cuts in wages, at least for a season, but in truth perhaps for longer than that. In all honesty, for players it's really not the worst option as without this I think some clubs start going to the wall and there's a potential rout that starts to exist. Wages have gone up massively over the last 25 years, so some adjustment the other way, in a controlled way makes a lot of sense.

I can see 30% being a fairly standard number, but in truth the top teams may have to go additionally over that figure.

I based any opportunity we have of signing Bale, Ramsey, James or anyone else on the basis of a 50% reduction can be acquired. I think this is quite cautious again. We may be able to achieve a far greater saving through prudent bargaining and anything other than a pretty mild recession in football. But if we work to 50% (so 30% of the salary the players writing off, and 20% RM/Juventus being happy to suck up). That give sis Bale at £275k pw, James around £110 and Ramsey around £175k.

Ramsey and James are pretty feasible at those prices individually, and Bale may just about be too, if Moshiri really wanted to make a statement. However if Usmanov really wants to go for things, and FFP is behind us, who knows the possibility. The question you would be asking if you were the owner to Ancelotti would be, do you think you could get James/Bale close to where they were at Real (or Monaco)?

As for where people play, thats a secondary question to me. Ancelotti will tailor a systemto suit the players, Italian managers are very good at that, and he is expert at it. James could play down the right or left.

I mean I am being optimistic, but if Ancelotti can get the best out of those 3, plus say an Allan and Koulibaly, and we are not dealing with a season where City/Liverpool break all records, we are really in the hunt for the title.
the utter insanity of reading a tosh tabloid story and then starting to work all that nonsense out....
This is the saddest thing the internet has ever wrought.

Its quite a simple equation to do...

If theres no fee involved then the transfer fee could be migrated to wages.

Signing Bale may well be cheaper then the Sigurdsson deal.

In situations we are in, we are going to go through major economic volatility, and volatility in football I don't think we've witnessed in a general or more. What situations like this throw up is a completely different picture in quite a short space of time.

One consequence, I find hard to not to imagine is league wide cuts in wages, at least for a season, but in truth perhaps for longer than that. In all honesty, for players it's really not the worst option as without this I think some clubs start going to the wall and there's a potential rout that starts to exist. Wages have gone up massively over the last 25 years, so some adjustment the other way, in a controlled way makes a lot of sense.

I can see 30% being a fairly standard number, but in truth the top teams may have to go additionally over that figure.

I based any opportunity we have of signing Bale, Ramsey, James or anyone else on the basis of a 50% reduction can be acquired. I think this is quite cautious again. We may be able to achieve a far greater saving through prudent bargaining and anything other than a pretty mild recession in football. But if we work to 50% (so 30% of the salary the players writing off, and 20% RM/Juventus being happy to suck up). That give sis Bale at £275k pw, James around £110 and Ramsey around £175k.

Ramsey and James are pretty feasible at those prices individually, and Bale may just about be too, if Moshiri really wanted to make a statement. However if Usmanov really wants to go for things, and FFP is behind us, who knows the possibility. The question you would be asking if you were the owner to Ancelotti would be, do you think you could get James/Bale close to where they were at Real (or Monaco)?

As for where people play, thats a secondary question to me. Ancelotti will tailor a systemto suit the players, Italian managers are very good at that, and he is expert at it. James could play down the right or left.

I mean I am being optimistic, but if Ancelotti can get the best out of those 3, plus say an Allan and Koulibaly, and we are not dealing with a season where City/Liverpool break all records, we are really in the hunt for the title.

Most of the income comes from TV deals which are are already locked in.

I doubt matchday revenue would decrease or anything else really.

Also i dont see why players would agree to paycuts of that degree...not unless their own branding through playing in the premier league would increase their revenue from personal sponsors.

Someone like James I imagine would see huge increases in his personal sponsorships and image rights playing for us with Mina. Hed be on colombian tv every week as the main game.

Nah. We're still well short in midfield and in the backline. Plus Pickford is a disaster now. We are making progress but the problem is it is slow progress. When Brands came in we thought we had Pickford, Gueye and Coleman locked in as guys we could rely on. A few years on and they're all gone or not good enough opening up new holes. Some old ones like RW have never been properly fixed. It is more than one man can plug unless they're actually going to provide 25 plus goals and assists without taking away from what we are already producing.

What we really need is a bit of magic where we sign 5 players and they're all massive hits to immediately transform things. It looked like the first summer might have been it, but then Bernard turned out to be a bit average, Mina hasn't found consistency and Zouma couldn't be made permanent. This past summer certainly wasn't it as injuries and poor form have made all the signings look a bit poor.

I'd love James, but ultimately the real thing to do is going to be to try and find 4 or 5 players who are coming into their prime who can come in and be fixtures for 4 or 5 years. If we pull that off than we can look for the special players to push us over the top.

Ive moved this into the transfer thread...but will respond in the James thread about him.

If we signed Gabriel (£30mil) and James (small fee) then we would have only RB and CM to focus on for the first 11. That would be a great start to the window for only a small outlay.

Lots of options begin to open up for us then as we would only be looking at two players to come into the team and not a scattergun approach.

Right back for example we could go after Santiago Arias for £10mil+ or a loan or go big on Max Aarons...it really gives us a lot of freedom.

Im not against signing players approaching or 30+ as long as they have top pedigree. Not players like Walcott and Delph who have never done anything.

The focus should be on a couple of players like James and Arias (as an example) who could be astute signings then the real money used for Gabriel type transfers.

Ive moved this into the transfer thread...but will respond in the James thread about him.

If we signed Gabriel (£30mil) and James (small fee) then we would have only RB and CM to focus on for the first 11. That would be a great start to the window for only a small outlay.

Lots of options begin to open up for us then as we would only be looking at two players to come into the team and not a scattergun approach.

Right back for example we could go after Santiago Arias for £10mil+ or a loan or go big on Max Aarons...it really gives us a lot of freedom.

Im not against signing players approaching or 30+ as long as they have top pedigree. Not players like Walcott and Delph who have never done anything.

The focus should be on a couple of players like James and Arias (as an example) who could be astute signings then the real money used for Gabriel type transfers.
This isn't true at all. Our GK would still be terrible, our LM average at best and our second CB a question mark as far as consistency goes. And James who hasn't played 30 league games in half a decade would have to carry the rest of the team with those holes still in in place.

We need in my estimation a RB, CB, CM, RM, LM and GK at a higher level than we have to be competitive. If we got 4 of those and one of the attackers was genuinely world class then maybe we'd be ok but if James is that guy as much as I like him that is way too risky.

The lack of games hasn't changed my opinion about players. We have Richarlison, DCL, Gomes, Digne and maybe Mina and Holgate and the rest needs work. It is far away from the CL.

This isn't true at all. Our GK would still be terrible, our LM average at best and our second CB a question mark as far as consistency goes. And James who hasn't played 30 league games in half a decade would have to carry the rest of the team with those holes still in in place.

We need in my estimation a RB, CB, CM, RM, LM and GK at a higher level than we have to be competitive. If we got 4 of those and one of the attackers was genuinely world class then maybe we'd be ok but if James is that guy as much as I like him that is way too risky.

The lack of games hasn't changed my opinion about players. We have Richarlison, DCL, Gomes, Digne and maybe Mina and Holgate and the rest needs work. It is far away from the CL.
I’m not sure about us buying a LM this summer, unless we buy buy 2x CM and one is left footed and can play on the left of midfield, a bit like what Ancelotti did at Napoli with Ruiz & Zielinski

The GK? We have been linked with a few, I’m not sure Pickford will get replaced this summer, but I don’t see him as our long term GK.

The thing with James, if we got him, he would be a very similar age, to Walcott when we bought him for 20mil and he also had a history of injuries. And James is a class above Walcott. With a year left on his contract, we could get him for a decent fee.

While I agree to a certain extent about buying young , I think Ancelotti will definitely want at least one player who is at his peak and in the 27/30 age bracket. Maybe even 2. James & Allan?

I’m not sure about us buying a LM this summer, unless we buy buy 2x CM and one is left footed and can play on the left of midfield, a bit like what Ancelotti did at Napoli with Ruiz & Zielinski

The GK? We have been linked with a few, I’m not sure Pickford will get replaced this summer, but I don’t see him as our long term GK.

The thing with James, if we got him, he would be a very similar age, to Walcott when we bought him for 20mil and he also had a history of injuries. And James is a class above Walcott. With a year left on his contract, we could get him for a decent fee.

While I agree to a certain extent about buying young , I think Ancelotti will definitely want at least one player who is at his peak and in the 27/30 age bracket. Maybe even 2. James & Allan?
I respect Carlo a lot but Brands should tell him no. Stick to the plan. Buy players who are sound long term propositions.

Although I really like Donnarumma I cant see Ancelotti changing keepers unless someone comes in with a big fee for Pickford which is highly unlikely. Now would be the worst time to sell as well, best to hold onto him for another season and see how he does in the euros.

At left midfield there is Bernard, Iwobi and Gordon. Do you think were going to sell 2 of them? Id say that would be unlikely.

James has played over 30 games for 10 out of 12 of the last seasons?

Mina has arguably been one of the most consistent performers this season.

If you slot in James and Gabriel theres really only RB and CM where we need first 11 players before looking at competition in the squad.

I respect Carlo a lot but Brands should tell him no. Stick to the plan. Buy players who are sound long term propositions.
Ancelotti will have, I’d imagine an input into the transfers. Or what was the point in appointing him and paying him a big salary. And I’d think he will want one or two of his players.

This may have been agreed when he took the job, as I read an article by an Italian journalist, who said Ancelotti will insist on getting a player or two he wants when agreeing to take a job.

Yes in theory brands buys all young players and the coach, does his job. But it looks like Moshiri has slightly gone away from that by appointing Ancelotti. I think Ancelotti came on the market and Moshiri thought it was to good an opportunity to turn down, maybe he feels we need to push on and try and get champions league football as we move towards the new ground.

Brands is probably here for the long haul and will still buy a lot of young players, but maybe going slightly off track for a few years to support a world class manager, is not a bad think imo.

Most of the income comes from TV deals which are are already locked in.

I doubt matchday revenue would decrease or anything else really.

Also i dont see why players would agree to paycuts of that degree...not unless their own branding through playing in the premier league would increase their revenue from personal sponsors.

Someone like James I imagine would see huge increases in his personal sponsorships and image rights playing for us with Mina. Hed be on colombian tv every week as the main game.

I think is situations like this, contracts start to become very shaky. I saw yesterday the US government have essentially taken a bunch of equipment contractually owned by Germany, but are not going to give it back. Contracts become very weakened in these situations.

Aside from that, contracts will be getting breached.I find it hard to believe we fulfil the TV schedule in the manner we are supposed too. Best case scenario I see is we write off 1/4 of this season and have to give that money back. Worst case it may be deemed we've invalidated the whole season.

As regards match day revenue, again assuming these games can't be played again it's around 20% that has been lost. Maybe more for teams still in Europe. Sponsorship too. Liverpool (for example) have highly incentivised targets to hit to acquire most of the funding (and indeed most deals have this in, albeit not as sharply as Liverpool). This targets won't be hit. Sports manufacturers will certainly be looking at options to either reduce, or get out of contracts, as will sponsors. The situation within business the moment is very bleak,and cut backs will have to be made. I haven't gone for the catastrophic position, but it's hard not to see a decline in revenues.

As for players, well there are a number of reasons. Firstly it seems the right thing to do. Secondly for the long term viability in the game, a reduction in wage costs in the short term may prevent a more severe crisis in the medium term. a 30% cut now, may stabilise the game, and allow it to slowly recover. A refusal to cut wages now, and clubs start going out of business, meaning it may be a more brutal cut.

In essence though, even if there aren't an official cut in wages, if we are willing to pay a substantial wage, in a deflationary market we will be competitive. I mean we are used to Real Madrid being all powerful, but their great Spanish rival have just had to agree a 70% cut with their players, probably to stay functional. They will be negotiating from a weak position. I think an offer that is close to 50% of their current terms will be looked at, in each case. I'm not basing it on much more than a gut feeling.

The question is, would Bale at say 250kpw, James at say £125k p/w or Ramsey at say £180k pw (all about half the figures, and bear in mind Ramsey has just agreed 4 months without pay) be a prudent investment on a short term basis? With a manager like Ancelotti, I'm inclined to think yes.

I also think, Koulibaly could be in play, they seem desperate to sell, and desperate to sell in a deflationary market tends to mean 1 thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.