Stop kicking us. Time to stand up for Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most fans like to be optimistic but the reality of being a Everton fan is a constant shoeing in the nuts some people get immune to it and passively become a super fan that is usually a generation thing others like to criticize fight and struggle and can you blame them ? not at all
as for the derby Sunday it is hard to be optimistic when our octogenarian defense has to face their front 4
but hey-ho lets try not to cry when they dry bum us

The recent managerial shenanigans and upcoming derby league and cup double header have brought out a typically Evertonian characteristic that appears to be more prevalent in our fan base than others.

I’m talking about the unusual characteristic of self loathing that Evertonians and this forum in particular seem to have perfected. Indeed one poll on this forum had us down as the worst set of fans in the league after our neighbours. Seriously?! What’s wrong with some of you?

Other strange behaviours that belong to this: spending hours on detailed reasons as to why exactly we’re not going to win the upcoming derby, eulogising over other players in the league but absolutely caning our own even when we do have good ones, automatically assuming everything we do will be rubbish (stadium etc.). Coming out with stuff like ‘Everton would deserve relegation because of the fans’. Why say that? Why do any of these things?

I like to think that as a fan group we’re more intelligent and perhaps more capable of critical thinking than others. We’re not going to print t shirts of trophies we haven’t yet won or parade oil paintings around the ground like a religious cult. Some of us have seen the best in the world play here so know when not to go overboard on decent players etc. I know also that most of us can openly accept when we’re rubbish too without getting into a bar fight because someone’s pointed out that a team who have won 1 trophy in ten years and never the prem aren’t the greatest in the world.

It’s gone too far though. No one is standing up for Everton anymore. Even most of our reps in the media seem to want to apologise for our existence. Some of our fans seem to think that if they put the boot in hard enough on us first then if disappointment does happen they can come out with the ‘I did warn you, told you so’ smug response almost taking pleasure in Everton being rubbish. Some of us are so desperate not to look Geordie or Kopite that it’s extended to never being positive about the team.

It’s almost like until we’re winning the treble with a team playing the greatest football of all time some fans won’t give a shred of praise to the team at all out of fear of comeuppance from their kopite mates or the footballing gods. Any win is ‘opposition is crap, our football is crap, lucky to win, won’t beat xyz’. Most other teams’ fans celebrate their wins.

We’re not even that bad. Even at our lowest ebb this season we dispatched West Ham and Huddersfield without getting out of second gear. We’re tenth after not even trying. 13 other clubs are scrapping to stay in this league whilst we’ll probably finish ahead of them with ease. Most of them would still proudly say their team is better than Everton’s whether it’s true or not. Half our fans would be arguing their case that they’re right for them!

Regardless of how many times Everton let us down once our tribal loyalty is gone so is Everton. We can’t just sit here chipping away at them letting everyone else do the same and only backing them once they’re good again.

We don’t deserve relegation, no one is better at avoiding it than we are. We’re not the worst fans in the league, we take bigger away followings to parts of Europe than some teams take to prem grounds. We’re having a poor season but when we turn it on we’re still comfortably better than the most of the teams in this league. We need to stop saying these sort of ridiculous negative things as a fan base.

It’s difficult enough being an Evertonian sometimes without your own fan base actively trying to convince you that we actually are crap and the shred of optimism you have is misplaced. It’s tiring and boring, and so is the ‘i did tell you, lids getting all excited at summer’ post disappointment smugness.

We are the team of Dixie Dean, Alan Ball Neville Southall (the three greatest players from these shores), more titles than Chelsea City Spurs, English football royalty. Even our recent fallow periods see us as better than almost every other club side in England bar a few. We’re on the up again now, we have the best academy in the country, we will have one of the best stadiums in the country. So down with the RS on Sunday and COYB. Nil Satis.
& EITC is right up there too!

I think Evertonians developed an inferiority complex in the 70s when Liverpool started winning everything. We've been in their shadow ever since except for Kendall's mid-80s team.

We seem to be stuck in an endless loop of self fulfilling prophecy. We expect to fail so therefore we do. This cycle of failure has become so ingrained into our identity that it has become difficult to break.

We need to reinvent ourselves, and this is where the importance of Bramley Moore really comes into focus. Moving into that stadium will give us a chance to redefine who we are and where we are headed.

Get fed crap long enough and you begin to think that's all you'll ever get. And for the last 20-plus years, we've been fed absolute feces, from the board in particular. I'm old enough to remember the 1980s, barely old enough to remember 1970, and it's been like going from a five-star restaurant to Denny's. We all want better, and what we need are better chefs in the corporate kitchen, so to speak.

I think Evertonians developed an inferiority complex in the 70s when Liverpool started winning everything. We've been in their shadow ever since except for Kendall's mid-80s team.

We seem to be stuck in an endless loop of self fulfilling prophecy. We expect to fail so therefore we do. This cycle of failure has become so ingrained into our identity that it has become difficult to break.

We need to reinvent ourselves, and this is where the importance of Bramley Moore really comes into focus. Moving into that stadium will give us a chance to redefine who we are and where we are headed.
I've liked you post but I don't agree that Evertonians have an inferiority complex........I always expect better........but I am also patient !

I've liked you post but I don't agree that Evertonians have an inferiority complex........I always expect better........but I am also patient !

One thing Evertonians can't be accused of and that is not being patient. I feel the clubs' custodians have taken liberties with the fanbase over the years because they know we are realistic and patient.

I think we are reaching a tipping point though. The fanbase are baying for change.

The recent managerial shenanigans and upcoming derby league and cup double header have brought out a typically Evertonian characteristic that appears to be more prevalent in our fan base than others.

I’m talking about the unusual characteristic of self loathing that Evertonians and this forum in particular seem to have perfected. Indeed one poll on this forum had us down as the worst set of fans in the league after our neighbours. Seriously?! What’s wrong with some of you?

Other strange behaviours that belong to this: spending hours on detailed reasons as to why exactly we’re not going to win the upcoming derby, eulogising over other players in the league but absolutely caning our own even when we do have good ones, automatically assuming everything we do will be rubbish (stadium etc.). Coming out with stuff like ‘Everton would deserve relegation because of the fans’. Why say that? Why do any of these things?

I like to think that as a fan group we’re more intelligent and perhaps more capable of critical thinking than others. We’re not going to print t shirts of trophies we haven’t yet won or parade oil paintings around the ground like a religious cult. Some of us have seen the best in the world play here so know when not to go overboard on decent players etc. I know also that most of us can openly accept when we’re rubbish too without getting into a bar fight because someone’s pointed out that a team who have won 1 trophy in ten years and never the prem aren’t the greatest in the world.

It’s gone too far though. No one is standing up for Everton anymore. Even most of our reps in the media seem to want to apologise for our existence. Some of our fans seem to think that if they put the boot in hard enough on us first then if disappointment does happen they can come out with the ‘I did warn you, told you so’ smug response almost taking pleasure in Everton being rubbish. Some of us are so desperate not to look Geordie or Kopite that it’s extended to never being positive about the team.

It’s almost like until we’re winning the treble with a team playing the greatest football of all time some fans won’t give a shred of praise to the team at all out of fear of comeuppance from their kopite mates or the footballing gods. Any win is ‘opposition is crap, our football is crap, lucky to win, won’t beat xyz’. Most other teams’ fans celebrate their wins.

We’re not even that bad. Even at our lowest ebb this season we dispatched West Ham and Huddersfield without getting out of second gear. We’re tenth after not even trying. 13 other clubs are scrapping to stay in this league whilst we’ll probably finish ahead of them with ease. Most of them would still proudly say their team is better than Everton’s whether it’s true or not. Half our fans would be arguing their case that they’re right for them!

Regardless of how many times Everton let us down once our tribal loyalty is gone so is Everton. We can’t just sit here chipping away at them letting everyone else do the same and only backing them once they’re good again.

We don’t deserve relegation, no one is better at avoiding it than we are. We’re not the worst fans in the league, we take bigger away followings to parts of Europe than some teams take to prem grounds. We’re having a poor season but when we turn it on we’re still comfortably better than the most of the teams in this league. We need to stop saying these sort of ridiculous negative things as a fan base.

It’s difficult enough being an Evertonian sometimes without your own fan base actively trying to convince you that we actually are crap and the shred of optimism you have is misplaced. It’s tiring and boring, and so is the ‘i did tell you, lids getting all excited at summer’ post disappointment smugness.

We are the team of Dixie Dean, Alan Ball Neville Southall (the three greatest players from these shores), more titles than Chelsea City Spurs, English football royalty. Even our recent fallow periods see us as better than almost every other club side in England bar a few. We’re on the up again now, we have the best academy in the country, we will have one of the best stadiums in the country. So down with the RS on Sunday and COYB. Nil Satis.
Bloody hell love? I've never seen a bigger wind up than this! Ferkin hell!

To quote many in the Gwladys...."sit down lid, tryin' to watch the game here". Proud as f8ck not to be a gobshite bellwhiff that cheers on a 2-0 defeat even though we're playing like Sunday league.

No-one is standing up for Everton anymore? Get a grip. Sorry.

NJ

Blame the fans all you like mate but when the chips are down, it’s the fans who always show up. Can the same be said for most of the players and managers we’ve had over the last 20 years? No, which is probably the biggest contributor to our failure to win a trophy and win big games and derbies in that time.

But we dont, we turn up in numbers yes but the levels of actual support shown towards the playing side is terrible at times, the abuse they get at times is disgusting

"A ha ha ha ha", said a player who doesn't get this type of abuse at all.
;)

If the group of people tribally bound to be biased and one eyed about Everton can’t even bring themselves to irrationally believe that we can win the Derby on Sunday then what chance the players to actually go and do it? Get over the fear of disappointment, put aside the over critical minds and get your Everton on.

This post is madness.

First of all, they are paid professional athletes. Despite not being good at the moment, when you consider the football players in all of the World, they are in the upper echelon, and to get their requires some competitiveness and a deniability of what is realistically possible because when they were all children it was not realistic for them to get to where they are. I don't care what their pedigree is, they defeated the odds. They don't need the fans to believe they can beat Liverpool to actually do it. To think so is either due to one not understanding this or having a great ego.

Secondly, you telling people to just ignore their critical thinking and get your Everton on is essentially telling people just to be stupid.

You sound like you just can't handle people disagreeing with you. None of this seems logical, but then again, their goes silly me using my "critical mind".

Just because others are better doesn't mean ours is gash.

Southampton create a better grade of player and United produce more professional footballers than anyone else in the country. These are just facts, not belief.

Im not going to go full kopite and start saying we're the best at stuff when we're not.

Who are you referring to with Southampton out of interest and where is your evidence for the United claim? I'm not saying you're wrong but I know in the case of the second claim that it can be based on different things, and manipulated for certain clubs benefit. I can't remember United producing that many good players in recent times that have actually made it at the top level other than Rashford and Lingard. If they produce 10 players who go on and make it in the lower leagues and another club produces 5 Premier League standard players, i'd say the latter was the better achievement.

Southampton do seem to have produced a lot of good talent down the years but surely the likes of James Ward Prowse can be matched by some of ours that have made it at the top level? Then there are the stand out players. Rooney joined Everton at the age of 9 and was a local lad. I imagine Everton had a lot of regular influence on him, although it was obviously natural talent that's made him achieve all he has. On the other hand, 2 of Southampton's claims in Bale and Shearer weren't from Southampton and didn't properly join them regularly as far as I am aware until a later age. Shearer for example only officially joined at 16. I think it's a bit biased of some clubs to claim full credit for certain players. We can't exactly claim we produced Holgate or Lookman can we.

Status
Not open for further replies.