Stop kicking us. Time to stand up for Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Domingo

Player Valuation: £80m
The recent managerial shenanigans and upcoming derby league and cup double header have brought out a typically Evertonian characteristic that appears to be more prevalent in our fan base than others.

I’m talking about the unusual characteristic of self loathing that Evertonians and this forum in particular seem to have perfected. Indeed one poll on this forum had us down as the worst set of fans in the league after our neighbours. Seriously?! What’s wrong with some of you?

Other strange behaviours that belong to this: spending hours on detailed reasons as to why exactly we’re not going to win the upcoming derby, eulogising over other players in the league but absolutely caning our own even when we do have good ones, automatically assuming everything we do will be rubbish (stadium etc.). Coming out with stuff like ‘Everton would deserve relegation because of the fans’. Why say that? Why do any of these things?

I like to think that as a fan group we’re more intelligent and perhaps more capable of critical thinking than others. We’re not going to print t shirts of trophies we haven’t yet won or parade oil paintings around the ground like a religious cult. Some of us have seen the best in the world play here so know when not to go overboard on decent players etc. I know also that most of us can openly accept when we’re rubbish too without getting into a bar fight because someone’s pointed out that a team who have won 1 trophy in ten years and never the prem aren’t the greatest in the world.

It’s gone too far though. No one is standing up for Everton anymore. Even most of our reps in the media seem to want to apologise for our existence. Some of our fans seem to think that if they put the boot in hard enough on us first then if disappointment does happen they can come out with the ‘I did warn you, told you so’ smug response almost taking pleasure in Everton being rubbish. Some of us are so desperate not to look Geordie or Kopite that it’s extended to never being positive about the team.

It’s almost like until we’re winning the treble with a team playing the greatest football of all time some fans won’t give a shred of praise to the team at all out of fear of comeuppance from their kopite mates or the footballing gods. Any win is ‘opposition is crap, our football is crap, lucky to win, won’t beat xyz’. Most other teams’ fans celebrate their wins.

We’re not even that bad. Even at our lowest ebb this season we dispatched West Ham and Huddersfield without getting out of second gear. We’re tenth after not even trying. 13 other clubs are scrapping to stay in this league whilst we’ll probably finish ahead of them with ease. Most of them would still proudly say their team is better than Everton’s whether it’s true or not. Half our fans would be arguing their case that they’re right for them!

Regardless of how many times Everton let us down once our tribal loyalty is gone so is Everton. We can’t just sit here chipping away at them letting everyone else do the same and only backing them once they’re good again.

We don’t deserve relegation, no one is better at avoiding it than we are. We’re not the worst fans in the league, we take bigger away followings to parts of Europe than some teams take to prem grounds. We’re having a poor season but when we turn it on we’re still comfortably better than the most of the teams in this league. We need to stop saying these sort of ridiculous negative things as a fan base.

It’s difficult enough being an Evertonian sometimes without your own fan base actively trying to convince you that we actually are crap and the shred of optimism you have is misplaced. It’s tiring and boring, and so is the ‘i did tell you, lids getting all excited at summer’ post disappointment smugness.

We are the team of Dixie Dean, Alan Ball Neville Southall (the three greatest players from these shores), more titles than Chelsea City Spurs, English football royalty. Even our recent fallow periods see us as better than almost every other club side in England bar a few. We’re on the up again now, we have the best academy in the country, we will have one of the best stadiums in the country. So down with the RS on Sunday and COYB. Nil Satis.

Probably all the false dawns we have had mate, they take there toll. It's the same now, we started off buzzing at the start of the season, loads of money spent etc, only for us to go backwards, humiliated in the Europa league, out the league cup, looks like we'll be just playing for a mid-table, or at best, the normal 'best of the rest' finish.

spending hours on detailed reasons as to why exactly we’re not going to win the upcoming derby,

There's no need to spend hours on detailed reasons, it's a squad full of spineless bottlers, it's quite simple.

automatically assuming everything we do will be rubbish (stadium etc.).

Can you blame them though? If I told you year after year that I was going to buy you a shiny new toy, but year after year I failed to deliver on that promise you'd soon start to doubt anything I promised you. We've been fed rubbish by the club about proposed stadium moves and investment for years so it's hardly a surprise that there's a massive amount of scepticism about anything we're told by Elstone/Kenwright and to a lesser degree so far Moshiri.

We’re not even that bad. Even at our lowest ebb this season we dispatched West Ham and Huddersfield without getting out of second gear. We’re tenth after not even trying. 13 other clubs are scrapping to stay in this league whilst we’ll probably finish ahead of them with ease.

We are bad, really bad. As a minimum we need a couple of CB's, a LB and a couple of forwards to be anywhere near breaking into the top 6 I'd say. The West Ham game could have turned had they scored the penalty as they were all over us, and we barely turned up for the first half of the Huddersfield game, had we played a team with an ounce of confidence we'd have been in trouble.

I'm all for looking at the positives but not at the expense of glossing over our massive failings at the moment. To suggest we're anything other than a middle of the road average premier league club at the moment is silly.

Last edited:
The recent managerial shenanigans and upcoming derby league and cup double header have brought out a typically Evertonian characteristic that appears to be more prevalent in our fan base than others.

I’m talking about the unusual characteristic of self loathing that Evertonians and this forum in particular seem to have perfected. Indeed one poll on this forum had us down as the worst set of fans in the league after our neighbours. Seriously?! What’s wrong with some of you?

Other strange behaviours that belong to this: spending hours on detailed reasons as to why exactly we’re not going to win the upcoming derby, eulogising over other players in the league but absolutely caning our own even when we do have good ones, automatically assuming everything we do will be rubbish (stadium etc.). Coming out with stuff like ‘Everton would deserve relegation because of the fans’. Why say that? Why do any of these things?

I like to think that as a fan group we’re more intelligent and perhaps more capable of critical thinking than others. We’re not going to print t shirts of trophies we haven’t yet won or parade oil paintings around the ground like a religious cult. Some of us have seen the best in the world play here so know when not to go overboard on decent players etc. I know also that most of us can openly accept when we’re rubbish too without getting into a bar fight because someone’s pointed out that a team who have won 1 trophy in ten years and never the prem aren’t the greatest in the world.

It’s gone too far though. No one is standing up for Everton anymore. Even most of our reps in the media seem to want to apologise for our existence. Some of our fans seem to think that if they put the boot in hard enough on us first then if disappointment does happen they can come out with the ‘I did warn you, told you so’ smug response almost taking pleasure in Everton being rubbish. Some of us are so desperate not to look Geordie or Kopite that it’s extended to never being positive about the team.

It’s almost like until we’re winning the treble with a team playing the greatest football of all time some fans won’t give a shred of praise to the team at all out of fear of comeuppance from their kopite mates or the footballing gods. Any win is ‘opposition is crap, our football is crap, lucky to win, won’t beat xyz’. Most other teams’ fans celebrate their wins.

We’re not even that bad. Even at our lowest ebb this season we dispatched West Ham and Huddersfield without getting out of second gear. We’re tenth after not even trying. 13 other clubs are scrapping to stay in this league whilst we’ll probably finish ahead of them with ease. Most of them would still proudly say their team is better than Everton’s whether it’s true or not. Half our fans would be arguing their case that they’re right for them!

Regardless of how many times Everton let us down once our tribal loyalty is gone so is Everton. We can’t just sit here chipping away at them letting everyone else do the same and only backing them once they’re good again.

We don’t deserve relegation, no one is better at avoiding it than we are. We’re not the worst fans in the league, we take bigger away followings to parts of Europe than some teams take to prem grounds. We’re having a poor season but when we turn it on we’re still comfortably better than the most of the teams in this league. We need to stop saying these sort of ridiculous negative things as a fan base.

It’s difficult enough being an Evertonian sometimes without your own fan base actively trying to convince you that we actually are crap and the shred of optimism you have is misplaced. It’s tiring and boring, and so is the ‘i did tell you, lids getting all excited at summer’ post disappointment smugness.

We are the team of Dixie Dean, Alan Ball Neville Southall (the three greatest players from these shores), more titles than Chelsea City Spurs, English football royalty. Even our recent fallow periods see us as better than almost every other club side in England bar a few. We’re on the up again now, we have the best academy in the country, we will have one of the best stadiums in the country. So down with the RS on Sunday and COYB. Nil Satis.

Evertonian forumite moaning at other Evertonian forumite's shocker.

Excellent post...Well said! ;)

I think as fans, us being able to be self deprecating and have a bit of a laugh at our own expense, is one of Evertonians best traits.

How would we have coped the last 20 years otherwise?

Completely get where you're coming from but for my generation supporting Everton has been a bumpy ride to say the least. Rather we were able to take the piss out of ourselves than be in the deluded category occupied by the Newcastle's of this world.

Everyone is free to get optimistic about Everton if they want, they just need to be prepared for the let down when the inevitable happens.

Here here

3kybeuA.gif

Ignore facts and just pretend we're best at stuff ?

:p

To be fair mate, if your measurements is amount of minutes played by academy graduates in the first team as teenagers, Everton's is by far and away the best.

Up to age 18/19/20 nobody comes close to us. There are certainly issues as to the progression post 20, but up to that age, we produce the most and best.

Status
Not open for further replies.