Stadium issues - LCC 'alledgedly' helping our neighbours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stutheblue

Player Valuation: £30m
Just read an article (Mail) about our City Council being prepared to help our neighbours with 'compulsory purchase orders' to ensure Liverpool can redevelop their stadium. Does anyone think that LCC would help us in the same way? For years we have heard about Goodison being 'landlocked' etc etc and that re-deveoping Goodison is a non-starter. I know finances are always a problem for us, but surely if redevelopment of Anfield goes ahead (with LCC backing), at a reported cost of £150m, we would be able to lobby for the same support. Somehow I don't think we'd get the same backing!

CPO's would be brilliant for us for the houses surrounding Goodison. I wonder if they'd give us the money to buy them too?

The council are looking at regenerating the area first and foremost, which is why they got planning permish.

Just read an article (Mail) about our City Council being prepared to help our neighbours with 'compulsory purchase orders' to ensure Liverpool can redevelop their stadium. Does anyone think that LCC would help us in the same way? For years we have heard about Goodison being 'landlocked' etc etc and that re-deveoping Goodison is a non-starter. I know finances are always a problem for us, but surely if redevelopment of Anfield goes ahead (with LCC backing), at a reported cost of £150m, we would be able to lobby for the same support. Somehow I don't think we'd get the same backing!

The board have been offered all sorts of help by Liverpool City Council and they have not been taken up.

there are a number of issues surrounding the practicality of this. Goodison has roughly 15-20 streets of terraced housing, probably in the region of 1000 properties, surrounding it. The vast majority of these houses are currently occupied by families. Around the swamp there are a only a few streets, containing less than 100 occupied properties. As you can probably work out for yourself the logistics of uprooting people around Goodison is a far more difficult and complex undertaking than from around the swamp.

Look, they've been refusing us help for ages. Did you know we asked the council for permission to build a new stadium in Stanley Park in 1989?

In the exact same place that Liverpool got permission for ten years later, on the old concrete car park/Vernon Sangster sports centre. Once we were refused, my grandad always said they'd get it, and he was right.

They have publicly said help is available and the club have publicly said they not interested in Goodison Park, they are only interested in moving.

there are a number of issues surrounding the practicality of this. Goodison has roughly 15-20 streets of terraced housing, probably in the region of 1000 properties, surrounding it. The vast majority of these houses are currently occupied by families. Around the swamp there are a only a few streets, containing less than 100 occupied properties. As you can probably work out for yourself the logistics of uprooting people around Goodison is a far more difficult and complex undertaking than from around the swamp.

I realise there are many issues (and some differences) between the surrounding areas of the two clubs. Clearly uprooting the number of families around Goodison appears to be much more of an issue (based on those figures). However, they are talking about redeveloping the main stand at Anfield to boost capacity. So by comparison if we redeveloped the Bullens Road I would assume some houses and the school would be affected. Similarly if we put a top tier on the Park End how many families would be affected there? I don't know. But my main point was I just don't see LCC going out on a limb to help us like they do for them. I also acknowledge that LCC want to regenerate the area (as another poster said) but surely that could be extended under the umbrella of 'Anfield and Walton' regeneration. Nothwithstanding all of that I know we haven't got the funds anyway!!

I realise there are many issues (and some differences) between the surrounding areas of the two clubs. Clearly uprooting the number of families around Goodison appears to be much more of an issue (based on those figures). However, they are talking about redeveloping the main stand at Anfield to boost capacity. So by comparison if we redeveloped the Bullens Road I would assume some houses and the school would be affected. Similarly if we put a top tier on the Park End how many families would be affected there? I don't know. But my main point was I just don't see LCC going out on a limb to help us like they do for them. I also acknowledge that LCC want to regenerate the area (as another poster said) but surely that could be extended under the umbrella of 'Anfield and Walton' regeneration. Nothwithstanding all of that I know we haven't got the funds anyway!!

for them to redevelop their main stand they would probably have to displace one, maybe two, very small streets. For us to redevelop the bullens would involve relocating a popular local school and roughly a hundred houses/families. Next time you're at the ground just have a walk around and see the scale of what would be required. Then walk up towards the swamp and have a look around there. Most of the housing around the swamp is already gone. Much more of it about to go. As much as i love Goodison, imo, the only practical solution for us would be a new stadium. Logistically, redeveloping Goodison is a HUGE task which is going to take HUGE investment.

for them to redevelop their main stand they would probably have to displace one, maybe two, very small streets. For us to redevelop the bullens would involve relocating a popular local school and roughly a hundred houses/families. Next time you're at the ground just have a walk around and see the scale of what would be required. Then walk up towards the swamp and have a look around there. Most of the housing around the swamp is already gone. Much more of it about to go. As much as i love Goodison, imo, the only practical solution for us would be a new stadium. Logistically, redeveloping Goodison is a HUGE task which is going to take HUGE investment.

I stopped going to their place (for Derbies) in the late 1990's after being abused and spat on in the paddock. However I do know that many of the houses around there are already boarded up so I hear what you're saying. I'm just sayin that we should look at similar options. Any change requires huge investment (redevelopment of Goodison or a new stadium). If that's been fully done and its a non starter the I stand corrected. In my view it, although it would take huge investment and commitment it would seem to me to be a cheaper option than moving to a brand new stadium. By the way I'm not against moving to a new stadium either, as I just want us to progress/not fall further behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.