Squad depth chart summer 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bond85

I think if theres a mid-long term strategy we should be looking at the young players and who is at least able to make the squad...or relatively close to it in the next couple of seasons;

GK - Pickford / ???
RB - Kenny / ???
RCB - Holgate / ???
LCB - ??? / ???
LB - Robinson / ???
DM - Connolly / Baningime / Williams
CM - Davies / ???
AM - Dowell / Vlasic
LF - Lookman / Onyekuru
CF - Calvert-Lewin / ???
RF - ??? / ???

That's 13 players of a 25 man squad.

Assumptions
-- A young keeper as 3rd choice
-- Gibson / Feeney come through
-- Hornby / Gordon come through
-- Onyekuru gets a permit

That would take us to 18 players.

Young additions
-- Keeper
-- Right back
-- Left sided centre back
-- Left back
-- Centre Midfielder
-- Two right forwards

Although both Brands and Silva will be heavily focused on the 'star' signings who can be brought in there simply has to be a focus on bringing through young players--even if simply for average quality depth.

Some of them will step up levels and others will be moved on.

Signings such as Mina (23), Tierney(21) and Lozano(22) would follow the ethos to build a squad over the next 2 seasons.

We can then see who the existing 'stars' may be and what needs to be sprinkled on top.

much better chart sorted!
giphy.gif

@bond85

I think if theres a mid-long term strategy we should be looking at the young players and who is at least able to make the squad...or relatively close to it in the next couple of seasons;

GK - Pickford / ???
RB - Kenny / ???
RCB - Holgate / ???
LCB - ??? / ???
LB - Robinson / ???
CM - Davies / ???
AM - Dowell / Vlasic
LF - Lookman / Onyekuru
CF - Calvert-Lewin / ???
RF - ??? / ???

Assumptions

Young additions
-- Keeper
-- Right back
-- Left back
-- Centre Midfielder
-- Two right forwards

Although both Brands and Silva will be heavily focused on the 'star' signings who can be brought in there simply has to be a focus on bringing through young players--even if simply for average quality depth.

Signings such as Mina (23), Tierney(21) and Lozano(22) would follow the ethos to build a squad over the next 2 seasons.

We can then see who the existing 'stars' may be and what needs to be sprinkled on top.

Disappointed that it took you a whole eight hours from thread creation time to respond Zat, up your game

@bond85

GK - Pickford / ???
RB - Kenny / ???
RCB - Holgate / ???
LCB - ??? / ???
LB - Robinson / ???
CM - Davies / ???
AM - Dowell / Vlasic
LF - Lookman / Onyekuru
CF - Calvert-Lewin / ???
RF - ??? / ???

Assumptions

Young additions
-- Keeper
-- Right back
-- Left back
-- Centre Midfielder
-- Two right forwards

I totally agree with you that Brands and the rest of the club needs this kind of long term plan. I actually think that we, with the players you're listing, have a decent core. IF we can bring in the right players alongside them, that is. If we sign Mina, Tierney and Lozano this window I'll be happy. As you say, they are the right age to fit a long term plan while they also fill the most glaring holes in our squad, position-wise.

As for our existing players, I am really looking forward to seeing Tom Davies this season. If Silva does well enough to show the board he's a long term (longer than Martinez and Koeman) solution, Davies will have to show he can be the box-to-box-midfielder the boss wants. I don't think Gana will prove to be, sadly.

@bond85

GK - Pickford / ???
RB - Kenny / ???
RCB - Holgate / ???
LCB - ??? / ???
LB - Robinson / ???
CM - Davies / ???
AM - Dowell / Vlasic
LF - Lookman / Onyekuru
CF - Calvert-Lewin / ???
RF - ??? / ???

Assumptions

Young additions
-- Keeper
-- Right back
-- Left back
-- Centre Midfielder
-- Two right forwards

???

Well you strike me as a man that isnt easily pleased.

I think its unlikely we will get rid of everybody you or I would like to see gone, as has been said countless time we have some very bad players on some very good contracts, so it will take some Harry Houdini tricks to offload them all in 1 window.

But the main thing is to build a squad that is able to compete, I would say we dont currently have that, so I will probably share your displeasure if certain things arent addressed, as I say, im not expecting everything to be funky within the next 3 weeks tho.

Nail on the head there, mate. If this was Football Manager I would probably buy and sell 15 players this window, and it would work just fine. But in order to reach our long term goals we have to have a long term strategy, and that starts with Brands and Silva now (granted, it also started with Koeman and Walsh, but when that didn't turn out as we wanted we have to start over, don't we?).

This is what Brands is supposed to be good at. This summer i suspect it's all about getting rid of a lot of deadwood, in addition to bringing in a couple of quite young defenders for the starting lineup (one of them in competition with Baines). Other than that I think any buys for the starting lineup depends on outgoings.

Hopefully we'll also get in some competition for Lookman, as well as Walcott/Tosun if Sandro goes.

I respect the optimism of the original poster, but that squad is so bad. One or two key injuries and we’re in major trouble.

Disappointed that it took you a whole eight hours from thread creation time to respond Zat, up your game

Its all a waiting game at the moment...sadly a few fans are losing their minds...no dunkirk spirit.

I totally agree with you that Brands and the rest of the club needs this kind of long term plan. I actually think that we, with the players you're listing, have a decent core. IF we can bring in the right players alongside them, that is. If we sign Mina, Tierney and Lozano this window I'll be happy. As you say, they are the right age to fit a long term plan while they also fill the most glaring holes in our squad, position-wise.

As for our existing players, I am really looking forward to seeing Tom Davies this season. If Silva does well enough to show the board he's a long term (longer than Martinez and Koeman) solution, Davies will have to show he can be the box-to-box-midfielder the boss wants. I don't think Gana will prove to be, sadly.

Its a cliche these days but this is a season to bring through the young players. Last season we didnit a little (stats would say a lot) but we really need to ensure that the squad can be filled with these kids so we can;

1-- Build a new squad and ethos.

2-- Jettison the older / poorer players from the squad

3-- Mould a team and style together.

2 great examples you have highlighted.

Gana: Class player but only useful as a DM. If he played alongside a deep lying playmaker then it works but otherwise i cant see him fitting in either...gone in a season.

Daviea: Im not concerned about his gametime in terms of quantity. Hes the youngest of the young group and just needs quality games and to be morphed into a position.

Nail on the head there, mate. If this was Football Manager I would probably buy and sell 15 players this window, and it would work just fine. But in order to reach our long term goals we have to have a long term strategy, and that starts with Brands and Silva now (granted, it also started with Koeman and Walsh, but when that didn't turn out as we wanted we have to start over, don't we?).

This is what Brands is supposed to be good at. This summer i suspect it's all about getting rid of a lot of deadwood, in addition to bringing in a couple of quite young defenders for the starting lineup (one of them in competition with Baines). Other than that I think any buys for the starting lineup depends on outgoings.

Hopefully we'll also get in some competition for Lookman, as well as Walcott/Tosun if Sandro goes.

The defence can actually look very strong IF

1-- Coleman performs to his old standard and Kenny keeps improving.

2-- Holgate is first choice and continues developing.

3-- A star partner for Holgate is signed, a youngish player so they can build a long term understanding.

4-- Robinson comes through this or next season...also a top Baines replacement (again young) is signed.

The key is consistently getting the players together and focus on defending as a unit, like Arsenal used to do.

With Pickford behind them then its a great opportunity to really form a sold backline.

I respect the optimism of the original poster, but that squad is so bad. One or two key injuries and we’re in major trouble.

It isnt so bad though is it?

We simply had Koeman and Allardyce last season.

Pickford is now feeling like a star
Coleman is back with a full preseason
Holgate can be trained
New CB + LB incoming

Lookman is back feeling like a star
Dowell should get his chance
Davies now has a suitable system
Tosun is used to the players

Etc etc...lots of positives.

Focus should be on selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.