Match Thread Spurs v Everton Sat 17:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Sam is bad news for Everton. Yes the players have not been good but the tactics have been awful from big Sam.
When Graham Taylor (RIP) took over as manager for England, the England team became a worse team overnight. It was shocking. We didn't make the World Cup and if you are too young to remember check it out on YouTube. But here is my point. If you watched what Everton did from the kick off yesterday it was exactly what England (under Taylor) would do. They would take the kick off, pass it back to a midfielder or defender and then he would hoof it forward into the corners of the oppositions side of the field. It works against bad teams sometimes at best, but against good teams it is a woeful thing to do. The idea is that you could get a flick on or corner or throw in. However, against a good team they just take it down under control and pass it around for the next 10 mins. If you look at our kick off yesterday this is exactly what we did. This is a tactic and is preplanned and is shocking. Watch how we hoof the ball most of the time. Against someone like West Brom we get a few chances (not many but still a few). Against good teams it is pointless and hiring a manager who chooses to do this is a big step backwards for Everton. Yes we were in trouble before Big Sam came but if people think he was the only manager who could steady the ship then I disagree. Now we are building a team with him at the helm. Wow! Another 2-3 years down the hatch. It went wrong from the day Moyes left. At that point we had a solid foundation to build on but didn't have lots of money to throw at the situation. We should have got in a top manager then and spent big. I know it is easier to say this with hindsight but I wasn't happy with the last 3 managerial appointments! When Moyes left we had a big opportunity and it was messed up.
I agree with what you are saying but it is tactics that pick up points both at home and against weaker teams. These tactics often also nick a few wins against top teams.

Playing possession football relies on confidence and/or good players (to beat top teams). Without either it would be very easy to go on a run that could see us relegated.

Survival is the only thing we should be thinking about because we still aren't 100% out of danger.

Then evaluate in the summer.

Plus Moyes was running out of time. His team was aging and would have faced the same issues although I do think he would have been better in the transfer market.

Just watched the first half. McCarthy, Martina, and Kenny were absolutely horrific. McCarthy was like playing with a man down. He missed more tackles than a high school football does in a game leaving Gana and others out to dry. Even worse, he provided absolutely NOTHING going forward, never passed it anywhere but sideways or backwards, and well, playing it backwards to anyone today wasn't going to result in much. Kenny kept the player onsides in the first goal, although Martina sitting 10 yards back when the player had the ball on the friggin 18 was the epitome of what he offers, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Kenny is clearly inconsistent and may be wearing down already because you CANNOT let anyone turn in space like he did on the second goal. You either win it, contain him, or chop him down.

That being said, what the heck was Martina doing on that second goal playing 2 yards behind the CBs? Having played a bit of left back myself, I would NEVER unless I could get goalside of the player and had NO ONE behind me, play behind my center back like that and permit a ball played behind a CB without it being offsides. Kane was off IMO, but he should've been off by 2 yards. It's complete incompetence.

Aurier basically had up until the 18 on virtually any possession without being so much as sniffed at if he stayed on the touch line, which he did. But with McCarthy predominantly shading for help on the right, it made it equally easy to go down either touchline. If Sam wants width, he simply has to play 3 in the back and wingbacks. He has to. Or pull a middy back wide to Cuco's side like Siggy, as much of a waste as that would be, and hope JonJoe doesn't have a stinker.

But seriously, the fact that we haven't gotten a left back in is shambolic.

I agree with what you are saying but it is tactics that pick up points both at home and against weaker teams. These tactics often also nick a few wins against top teams.

Playing possession football relies on confidence and/or good players (to beat top teams). Without either it would be very easy to go on a run that could see us relegated.

Survival is the only thing we should be thinking about because we still aren't 100% out of danger.

Then evaluate in the summer.

Plus Moyes was running out of time. His team was aging and would have faced the same issues although I do think he would have been better in the transfer market.
Fact is it was 4-0. Hammered again. I don't blame the manager as he inherited this crew. I do not expect us to win the league at present but I expect fight. Perhaps four of the team out today should stay. The rest, get rid. Our good fortune is there are only four decent teams in the league. We are no more than the Stoke and the like. That is Everton reality.

The first goal killed the game. That's the difference in this league. Sort the left out and put Siggy where Rooney was (needs rest). We will be fine then. Get us to the end of the season.
The first goal against us will always kill us, we set up to sneak a terribly one sided 0-0.

I said in September that this squad of players would take us down and I still believe that.

It’s not for want of effort. They just aren’t good enough.

Koeman’s legacy stinks.

I said in September that this squad of players would take us down and I still believe that.

Koeman’s legacy stinks.

He didn't buy McCarthy, Kenny, Jags, or Holgate. He signed Martina on a free, but in his defense, he told the board he needed LB over and a CF.

Koeman’s legacy stinks.
I'm hoping they aren't quite that bad. I think today they played like a team with little to play for. They aren't a good squad but I think I they are better than relegation standard. Although with the wrong attitude they could very easily be relegated.

Anthony Gordon is meant to be good for the youth team. Played in the dead rubber in greece. Hes only 16 though. I like Duke-Mckenna the left back/winger. Think he is in the under 18's. Hes left footed too and us quick and aggressive. Dowell, Connolly and Fenney are others aswelll who are highly rate
Good stuff - might try and get along to a few games. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.