Match Thread Southampton v Everton (Sunday 25 October 14:00)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
...most disappointing aspect is that we didn’t create a chance. I don’t mind us losing so much if we’ve carried a threat but we didn’t carry any. We depend on Richarlison so much and other sources of creativity and threat like Digne & DCL were poor.

CBs were ok, but I’m really not convinced in them as a partnership. Both were badly pulled out of central areas for the 2nd goal, leaving a chasm in the penalty area where we needed one of them. Allan stuck to his task, but nobody played really well. I went for Mina as MoM but not with any confidence,
It's exactly why we needed cover up front

Anyone get to the bottom of why the clear push off the ball of Rodriguez in the first half, wasn't a penalty?

Yes. The officials running VAR have a general idea which way they would like the game to go. If the narrative this week is with you, then they can call a penalty, offside, red card etc. If however there's a different script this week you are s*it out of luck.

VAR is actually genius because now it's in the hands of a few suits at a monitor who nobody can see. These decisions that can alter the course of a game can go in whatever way they decide as they can choose when and when not to intervene.

Take Manes offside last week. Nobody can tell the difference or actually see the offside, even fricking Everton fans are not that biased! I double-checked in desperation and groaned to myself no it was onside!

Brilliant, as therefore that decision can be whatever they decide it is on any given day. This is abhorrent no matter which team you support.

For all we know, this years winners have already been decided (Spoiler it's not us)! There is just no other good reason for this selective decision making. Atomic microscope pinpoint accuracy on one day, Mr fricking Magoo the next!

Feels like the pressure of being top is getting to us a bit. Think the extra scrutiny from the press this week didn’t help. Players froze out there today

Cold hard facts is that we’ve been out played 2 weeks on the run. Last week we got a point and looked dangerous despite being 2nd best for long periods. Today was just 2nd best for long periods. Offered nothing really.

the real worry is depth of the squad. This season will be brutal with the schedule. Need to be getting 10-11 of our better players on the pitch each week, otherwise this type of performance might happen more often than you’d hope. Suspensions will hurt the next few weeks. It was never a sending off today though last week we got away with one. These things even out and the Digne sending off didn’t really change the course of the game IMO.
Yep. Problem is 2 of those long periods lasted 45 minutes

Disappointing but not totally unexpected performance today. Southampton were the side that looked like they were up for a game while too many of our boys looked like they weren't too interested. Missed Richie obviously, DCL can't do anything if he doesn't get any service, and we can't keep giving the ball away and expect a result.

I went for Anthony Gordon for MoM, he was one player who looked like he wanted to get ahead, unfortunately he had no help.

Not a red card in my opinion however bad it looked. Accidental coming together of two players running full pelt in my opinion. Not the only strange thing Kevin (not our) Friend came out with, from moving the ball 3 inches after James had spent 5 minutes setting it up for a free kick, to his lectures to Mina and DCL for something unknown.

Pickford played okay until 2 minutes from time when he decided we hadn't had enough excitement and tried to dribble round Ings outside the area.

One positive point, Danny Ings didn't score against us.
Turning point for us.

Me and my big mouth saying we'd get beat Two-Nil :( Well, that's how it goes sometimes. Now we need to put the game behind us and concentrate on beating Newcastle next week. As for MotM, none of our players stood out for me today. Michael Keane didn't play that bad, so maybe he gets for me.

Yes, I thought Snail probably edged MotM but I gave it to Crab Iwobi purely because I felt a little sorry for him and I didn’t want him to look at the poll results and experiencing despair because he had zero votes. If reports of his enduring debilitating bouts of homesickness carry any veracity (and I believe they do), piling more mental anguish via a GOT poll result, would be a little cruel imo. Yes, I often get accused of being too soft on our brave lion hearts, but Crab Iwobi I think just needs a figurative hug from us Evertonians ( and a literal hug from his mum!!)

We always struggle against teams that press us. We really need to figure out how to play against the press.

most worrying to that point is how much Allan go taken out of the game both today and last week. He was clearly target on the ball last week & it worked, similar today (without the back up of stats) but he was essentially pressured out of the game

The bedwetters and moaners need to pipe down - funny they have been silent all season.

It was never gonna be easy today, with sheamo and Richy massive misses, but we just needed to work hard and look after the ball to do damage today and we couldn't be bothered (James wasn't fully fit imo).

Our first 11 are sound, and we will give anyone a game, but how often will we have them all on the pitch together over the season?!

Not very often I would say and we Can't be relying on siggy, Delph, iwobbly to cover - they have let us down way too many times before.

The starting 11 is a conundrum for the prof to sort out before we play the horse punchers, that's for sure.

If I see that bleeding iceberg with the captain's armband ever again, I'll just jib the match off, he's a shambles of a footy player.

Put it this way, if I was a player I'd just go through the motions if he was my captain -he sets the example and that's what we saw today, lifeless garbage from him and the rest of the side. I didn't see any talking/cajoling/bossing from him, like always and he was back to his pointy best.

James, Keane or digne should be captains - not that fraud.

Thought it was a bit strange how we played Gordon when he came on today. Had a couple of decent runs down Walker-Peters' side and then we switched him to the right. (Maybe that was when James' problem first became apparent.)

Thought Bernard was extremely lightweight as usual and was no improvement on Iwobi.

Yes. The officials running VAR have a general idea which way they would like the game to go. If the narrative this week is with you, then they can call a penalty, offside, red card etc. If however there's a different script this week you are s*it out of luck.

VAR is actually genius because now it's in the hands of a few suits at a monitor who nobody can see. These decisions that can alter the course of a game can go in whatever way they decide as they can choose when and when not to intervene.

Take Manes offside last week. Nobody can tell the difference or actually see the offside, even fricking Everton fans are not that biased! I double-checked in desperation and groaned to myself no it was onside!

Brilliant, as therefore that decision can be whatever they decide it is on any given day. This is abhorrent no matter which team you support.

For all we know, this years winners have already been decided (Spoiler it's not us)! There is just no other good reason for this selective decision making. Atomic microscope pinpoint accuracy on one day, Mr fricking Magoo the next!
Is the correct response.

Yes, I am sure all the players look at the poll results. Which is why I feel thought and consideration should be given toward one’s vote. If my act of kindness in ensuring Crab Iwobi avoided zero votes lifts Crab’s spirits, then that is a good thing, don’t you think? And remember, Blue Chrimbo is just around the corner and when our brave lion hearts all have to dress up as blue elves, we don’t want them to look unhappy do we?.No one wants to see unhappy elves.

Just got outplayed and too often they were happy to let godfrey have possession and close off all other avenues. Southampton played a perfect game today and we didn't have the answers. The squad depth would always be the downfall this season.

Godfrey is unlucky because he clearly is a centre back and he looked exposed today. It's easy to pick on the likes of iwobi and sigurdsson but I don't think they were the main problems. I just felt their game plan was better than ours on the day and it always looked a 50/50 going into it before the game with the lineups as they were

Status
Not open for further replies.