Match Thread Southampton v Everton (Sunday 25 October 14:00)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets be real, Carlo still has a massive job to do. He didnt give up. The majority of the players did. Carlo needs time to get rid and replace the deadwood still. Yes he chose Iwobi and he had a shocker. lessons hopefully to be learned but with the selection we have, we don't have many other options, I wasn't betting on a good season until Carlo's has time make the team his own.

DCL was absoloutely swamped today. They defended very well and their urgency to win the ball back was commendable. Didnt see too many other runs into the box to support him especially towards the end.
Godfrey got ripped apart early, and the rest of the defence was asleep. Southhampton did play very well it has to be said. I think it was a mixture of luck and bad placement that the ball kept falling to their players when we made tackles in the first 30.

One bad game so far. Not so bad.

Lets hope for a better next few games.

UTFT
Your common sense and pragmatism have no place here. Begone!

My hot take -

Pickford - not his fault made a couple of good saves. 6/10

While Godfrey got into the game last week, he was got exposed quite a few times this week and his ability on the ball is not consistent enough. It’s his second game but he needs to go back to the training ground and perhaps CB is more his position. 4/10.

Keane and Mina were alright. 6/10

Digne was alright, not his best game, made a mistake with the red. Could have been a yellow on another day but used his studs in the tackle so I see where the ref is coming from. 5/10

Allan - pretty poor today, tried to play his way out of it but nobody could help him. 5/10

Doucoure - offers a solid work rate but didn’t offer much else. 5/10

Siggy - was poor after 30 mins. 4/10

Iwobi - not going to be as harsh as others, but lacks composure on the ball, and feels like he’s out of sync with the rest of the team. Like there’s a pass on and doesn’t play it or the play breaks down and the team losses possession. Needs to do more of the simple things before going for a Messi run every time. Think he can come off the bench for a few more games to get into the rhythm. 3/10

James - bad game... a few nice passes but his lowest output since arrival. If he’s injured sit him out next week against Newcastle. Man United the week after. 4/10

DLC - zero service not his fault. 5/10

The subs did well but the team had lost their identity by that point.

Possibly the three best Everton players Richarlison, Digne and maybe James out next week.

Easy to slag Iwobi but James was woeful today
Not defending JR , he was out of it today as was DCL.
However, this was a chance for Iwobi to make a case for his inclusion or at least make a case that in the event of an injury that he was a more than capable replacement.
He showed nothing and coming off at half time tells you what CA thought.

I thought the 1st 25 mins before the goal was pretty even. What disappointed me in that period was Iwobi got in some great positions and had digne overlapping on 3 occasions and instead of playing in with a simple pass elected to cut and never even got a shot off to test the keeper.
Yeah he does that alot. Did it at arsenal too. Hope ancelotti cam coach some common sence into him.

Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti to Sky Sports: "We didn't play well, Southampton were better than us and they deserved to win. Sometimes you are not at your best, it came after a really good run for us, now we have to look forward with the same spirit and belief.

"We tried to get back into the game, we had some good control after half-time.

"The red card was a joke, it was not intentional, for sure it was not violent. Maybe it was a yellow. Maybe all this talk all week against Pickford, against Richarlison, affected the decision and if so it's not right, it's not fair. We will appeal, for sure.

"I told the players winter is coming and we will have to react."

Ralph Hasenhuttl says his side didn't target Godfrey "No, it was a coincidence that we played more on this side. It's more important that you're dangerous on every side, flexibility is the key. We lured them a little bit and played through the lines."

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl to BBC Sport: "My team did a fantastic job today, from the first moment you could feel that the plan was working and the guys were sticking to it. It was one of the best first halves so far for us.

"I was always convinced that Che Adams' time would come, sometimes it takes a long time to adapt to this level but he was always learning and working hard and he gets what he deserves now.

"We did not talk once this week about losing 9-0 [a year ago today], that is a topic for you guys, but it was important what we did after that defeat. Now we don't even think about it any more, I don't care."

Saints manager Ralph Hasenhuttl to Sky Sports: "It was a tough win against a strong side but we had good game management. It's not so easy mentally to be 2-0 up, things can change quickly, you know this. It was one of our best performances at home.

"We played through the lines, the second goal was beautiful and we really calmed the game down. I didn't see a lot of chances for Everton today.

"The two guys up front did a fantastic job, we were at our highest level today all over the pitch. We must always play at that level to win games, when we have a week to train together it often looks this good."

Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse on Sky Sports: "We knew it was a good challenge for us, they came here unbeaten and we didn't like that feeling. Our confidence was high.

"We were aggressive, we believe in what we are doing and we have the quality to go and score goals.

"We'll take a 2-0 win at home all day long. I want to try and score a few more goals and that's the demand of the manager. We highlighted their key players and adpated our game to nullify that threat, and we did that well today.

"This gives us a lot of confidence, we weren't really troubled."

Last edited:
Disappointing because we just didn't look in it atall, we haven't looked to good since the international break TBF, Richarlison was a massive loss BUT we are still top and need to get our arse in gear against Newcastle next week

Before everyone starts getting on James’ back, he’s a luxury player and we all knew that... He wasn’t getting a look in as we lost the game defensively and in the middle.

That said this result and performance was very familiar to last season and serves as a reminder to everyone that Carlo has merely begun ‘his project’ and there are a few more windows until he has HIS team.

We need to bounce back next week though!!

We have one clever player at our club. We all know who that is. We need more thinkers, more guile and quicker passing. Our lot are predictable bar one. most Other clubs have 2 or 3 clever offensive players. If we're keeping James on the right, we need a clever number 10 behind the front players. Siggy, bernard aren't good enough , and neither I'm afraid to say, is gomes by the look of things.

We are crying out for a Bruno Fernandez, Madison type player in central role behind the front players. We lack creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.