Match Thread Southampton v Everton (Sunday 25 October 14:00)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlo will sort it.
He now knows for sure who he can and can not count on.
I’d be pretty sure Gomes, Delph, NKunku and possibly Gordon come in for the Newcastle game. Not sure about a change in shape however I think this result and performance should assist in refocusing the team in general.

overall it’s been a great start, one bad performance and hopefully the team can move on.

Not to get all pedantic but it’s spelt Nkounkou

I have identified the problem. It has taken me time so please read on and don't skip anything...

As everyone saw yesterday the team lacked vigour, pace and commitment for the first time since last season. But the problem lied in the loss of Richarlison: essentially EFC play with a 4- man midfield with James playing the fourth man. Richarlison is the only player that injects pace, can press defenders and can really link up with DCL. Selecting Iwobi and Gilfi means a major drop-off in energy and attacking threat.

Both Soton full-backs got forward, the midfield won every battle and it turned it to be a one-sided affair - a fit, hard-running team against a bunch of injured and sub-standard material.

I think Allan and James were both injured which did not help but the point is that a team can only carry one luxury player and ours is James so playing slowish, unproductive people like Iwobi and Gilfi is almost always a disaster waiting to happen. James needs runners, a quick winger and people making runs not a bunch of static, side-way passers.

Wow 248 pages on one game.. :eek:

Suppose this shows fan expectations have risen, and we're not shrugging our shoulders anymore. No bad thing. NSNO and all that.

In the end its not the defeat that hurts, it's the manner of it. Team needs to step back up. Don't throw all the good work away blues.

It's no big deal, we had to lose at some point, that monkey is off the back now. Still 32 games to go let's just enjoy it, one defeat can't destroy all the early season optimism.
It can if its based on a false premise...that premise being...at the moment we have more than 9 decent senior out field professionals
Coleman, Keane, Mina, Digne, Doucoure, Allen, James, Richarlson, DCL
Gomes, Siggi - peripheral at best
Iwobi - just not up to it
Bernard - not the player he was when he first came.
Davies and Delph - younger and / or older versions of themselves.
I'm sure I've forgotten somebody, that'll be because if they're not injured, a kid with potential or previous deadwood...they must be eminently forgettable.

Got to get something out of the next 2 games... I'd take 2 nil-nils tbh

The press reaction today to the game is a disgrace According to the report in the daily Star,Pickford was finally punished for last week, Everton were well and truly outclassed by brilliant Southampton and Digne was shown red for a scything tackle on Walker Peters.

Worrying thing yesterday for me was the fitness levels of the team and lack of any pace in the team. That saints team looked super fit and it seemed at times that they had extra players even before digne went off. Their manager has got them super fit. I thought this would be what we would be like this season as Carlo employs 2 fitness coaches. Top 10 finish as we will struggle against the top teams

We had two ‘midfielders‘ In Sig and wobs Who are ball losing and crab merchants that sets the tone. The whole team drops in energy and confidence once that happens. I said before the game of Wobesstarts taking a million touches and losing it that will set the tone.

We can’t start these two jokers again.

Interesting match nonetheless.

Saints had solid passing structure and movement, manufacturing three goals while defending well in numbers;
a bit like Everton could be, when in rare form, pre Carlo.

But Everton have learnt/are learning to play differently.
The difference has been we've had players who are getting on the ball and winning the individual battles, ball at feet - Coleman, Digne, Alan, Richarlison and James. The spread of these players makes for a well balanced team where structure and creativity come together.
Keane has players he can send passes to with confidence, knowing it won't break down all the time, and in DCL, the man to get on the end of it all.
Its a style and spirit of play that requires and inspires confidence.

Yesterday, the foundations went to mush, and the team is not developed enough yet to sort this out.
What happens when you take out Richarlison and Coleman, high left and low right.
Well they got to feel that, and with Carlo's guidance, that's not such a bad thing.

Its no coincidence that Digne gets sent off, James legs go, Alan get completely isolated on the ball and devoid of options, while DCL gets isolated altogether.
A telling moment was coming out the second half, Godfrey goes for it, nearly skins but gets hacked down. The fine margins couldn't be overcome.

Question whether Kenny can make a difference when his is back.
And whether Neils can also, if for nothing else than to sure up the work that Richarlison does in transition and defence.
But with Digne out and Neils back, the imbalance of the team continues. It doesn't seems there is anyone else that can come close to being able to do what Richarlison does.

It'll be interesting to see how the team responds and what Carlo has in mind.

Godfrey and Hamaz on the right side led to us being isolated in the attack on that side and in defense too.

Coleman's positional awareness (making runs down the flank) helps create space for Hamaz however as Godfrey is a CB he unfortunately doesn't have that and I think both of them struggled yesterday.

Also, I think teams are starting to wise up to our vulnerability down that side as Hamaz doesn't seem to offer much support for the right back. I do think that trade off is worth it though, but we have to be at our game offensively which we weren't yesterday - primarily due to missing players in key areas.

We had two ‘midfielders‘ In Sig and wobs Who are ball losing and crab merchants that sets the tone. The whole team drops in energy and confidence once that happens. I said before the game of Wobesstarts taking a million touches and losing it that will set the tone.

We can’t start these two jokers again.
Carlo has got to give Gordon a go

It’s not an excuse but we were never going to get decisions today over the media frenzy. You gotta say Liverpool have that tool at their disposal the club knows it. The fans know it. And boy o boy do they utilise it.

The press reaction today to the game is a disgrace According to the report in the daily Star,Pickford was finally punished for last week, Everton were well and truly outclassed by brilliant Southampton and Digne was shown red for a scything tackle on Walker Peters.
It's not too far off, tbh. We were poor and Southampton could've won by a bigger margin. The digne red looked bad at the time and I'm not sure it'll get overturned as easily as we think. Saying the result is justice for Pickford is ridiculous, but it shows how much it has affected the rs.

Good at fiction their writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.