Homepage Update: Sod 'em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Keoghan

Player Valuation: £50k
Jim Keoghan submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

Sod 'em
colemanliverpool-1024x461.jpg

Just after Everton had equalised in January’s FA Cup game, as my elation ebbed and the brief flurry of serotonin that had flooded my brain began to dissipate, natural Blue pessimism reasserted itself. With 20 minutes to go, I nudged the Red who was sat next to me, pointed to the tele and said ‘Van Dijk, header, 83rd minute’.

Although not completely accurate, my prophesy wasn’t far off (missing out by a few minutes). I’m no Nostradamus but when it comes to Derbies, there is a predictability to events that can give Blues a degree of foresight that could seem almost supernatural to outsiders.

In reality, this is simply borne from years of experience. With 20 minutes to go and Liverpool’s expensive debutant still on the pitch, in my jaundiced mind it seemed obvious that (1) he would score and (2) do so at a time that would make a fight back exceptionally unlikely.

That’s the point we have reached now with Liverpool. Our games have become almost boring in their predictability. While occasional surprises do occur (and I’m thinking here mainly of Rooney’s penalty), they are increasingly rare for us Blues. Far more common instead are events like Van Dijk’s goal, Mane’s winner and Gerrard’s hat-trick. As fans, we sort of know what might be coming before a ball has even been kicked.

With such predictability now attached to the game, perhaps, as supporters, we should stop caring so much? If a disappointing outcome is so frequently experienced, why expend such a high degree of emotional energy into these fixtures?

This is no defeatist cry, no desire to stop trying because ‘what’s the point?’ I still want Everton to win and I still want the team to perform well if they don’t. But I want that every week. Why want it more just because it’s our neighbours, and specifically because the likelihood that all that stress, anxiety and worry being worth it is so abjectly low.

Every Derby we whip ourselves into a pointless fervour. Our emotional investment in those games far outweighs what we put into any others. And we do it secure in the knowledge that come full time, we will likely feel like crap. Is it worth it? Might it not be better to treat the Derby like any other game?

Aside from less heartache, there are also other gains to be had if we stopped giving so much of a s**t about the Sh**e.

Take a minute and think about all the characteristics that you loathe in a football fan. I’m no mind reader but I bet that ‘qualities’ such as smugness, a sense of entitlement and a lack of perspective will feature. Equally, if you took time to think about the elements of a football club that you don’t like, things like a corporate mentality, a tourist fanbase and a manufactured sense of ‘fandom’ might pop up.

What’s being described here is Liverpool and its fans. And it’s these fans and this club that we have to engage with because of an accident of geography. How nice would it be if we simply stopped? Imagine caring less about the Derby and treating both it’s build up and aftermath in the same way that you would a fixture against Burnley. Imagine not engaging with their taunts, their gloating, their enduring smugness. They are unquestionably the worst fans in the country. Why the [Poor language removed] should it be us who have to constantly put up with them. We’ve done our shift, surely it’s somebody else's turn by now?

And the benefits don’t end there. In an era when the Sh**e have been eclipsed by former peers and clubs that were once lesser lights, the Derby has grown in significance for them. When you are no longer a big deal on the national or European stage, it gives comfort to Reds that they can still be kings in their own backyard.

And for the all the claims that they aren’t bothered by Everton, just a casual glance at the social media feeds of the likes of the Anfield Wrap, This is Anfield and The Redmen around Derby time will quickly dispel that notion. They absolutely care and for them the victory in the Derby is often the highpoint of the season.

And part of what make their victories taste so sweet is our reaction. To watch your local rival visibly crushed is one of the sweetest feelings in football. If we as fans were a little less bothered, then we take this away. What you ideally want is a win against Everton being no more satisfying to the Sh**e than a win against Brighton or West Brom.

For those reading who believe that local rivalries are an enduring and indelible part of football life, and therefore we should always place the Derby as a match above all others, consider this: Football has changed beyond recognition over the past twenty years. The ‘Liverpool’ that we once rivalled no longer exists. For over a century, both Merseyside ‘giants’ were local clubs, rooted in the community and reflective of it. As such, a rivalry on geographic terms made sense. But while Everton can still be said to adhere to the old model, the same cannot be said for the corporate monstrosity that resides across the park.

And if you want proof of how little Liverpool are rooted in the community, imagine picking up both Anfield and Goodison and relocating the stadiums somewhere else in the country. For Everton, the impact would likely be disastrous. For Liverpool, the impact would be negligible. Norwegians, South Koreans and the Irish would flock to Anfield, no matter where it was. Liverpool are a ‘Liverpool’ club in name alone. There is nothing ‘local’ about them anymore and so there is no reason for them to be our local rivals.

Through the club’s misfortunes and our own emotional investment, we have turned this fixture into something gruesome. It’s in our power, to make it something different. So why not, just for a change, greet this fixture calmly. Treat those lovable Red’s to a universal ‘meh!’

Already fully invested in this mentality now. Haven't watched an Anfield derby since the 4-0 in 2014 and starting to get to the point where I don't even care about the Goodison one either. When I heard about Sigurdsson's equaliser in that cup game I barely mustered a shrug, because what's the point, we all knew what was coming. Likewise when they scored the winner, I barely flinched. Contrast to the 2012 FA Cup game where I have never been so crushed over football. Not bothering to get emotionally involved with this fixture until it stops being so predictable.

Season still going on is it?

I reached mid summer in my mindset weeks ago. Have even wiped the prospect of watching Henderson in the world cup from my mind. Going to swerve that entirely for the first time.

Football is lost to me.

Avoiding the swear filter in this manner will not save you from being warned about bad language.
The past is the past, so next Saturday the only thing that matters is they are a brilliant team and we are generally rather shytte, so hardly any wonder we are pessimistic. Of course you never know, miracles do happen in football.

I really dont care to much about the derby this year, the club have bottled it on so many occasions, I just can't bring myself to be that bothered now especially this season, I left at half time against city because I thought, if they can't be arsed then neither can I, I expect the same on Saturday from this shower of cowards we've got

I'm not really bothered by it which is good in a way ,haven't watched any of the two this season nor been that disappointed we didn't win.

It's not make or break it'd be nice to beat them but there's nothing really Liverpool about them. Foreign manager, foreign fans and no scousers.

Obviously it'll be worse for blues who are surrounded by them every day but I just pity them. That is their life, you can't talk to them about anything else because they don't know anything else so I just leave them be. Their blind support of suarez and firminho as well now turning Muslim because of salah just remonstrates how their whole life views are based on a football club so they aren't worth the time of day. Just my opinion.

It's been a long time since the players cared about this fixture as much as the fans. Is it any wonder we too have now written this off as an expected loss. I'm old enough to remember when there was a real passion, both on and off the field. It mattered. To some extent, the global "business" of football has dampened this local rivalry. As was mentioned, in the stands you have non-local tourist fans, and on the field you have mercenary non-local players. I just get the feeling that each passing season the PL in general has fewer and fewer players playing for the shirt they are wearing, and more and more players who simply play for the bank roll of global prestige, with little or no connection to the fan base.
There is, of course, still a desire in every blue to see us destroy them, but I have to agree, it would mean more to rise above them in the league and cup than to beat them in this increasingly meaningless fixture. Right now, we are doing neither, and that is what pains me the most right now!

You know what though? Even if we win, I wouldn't be that arsed about it either, as it'd be a one off fluke.

There's been times where I've been convinced we're the better side and that we'd go there and put a marker down and push on. Yet we've rolled over meekly. Now the opposite is true - I know we're hopeless, and a spawny 1-0 win while Fat Samming it for 90 minutes, desperately holding on, isn't going to make me jubilant either.

It is what it is. The club gave up trying to compete a long time ago; they are reaping the apathy of the fans for that now.

Some very good points but if we were as rational as this we wouldn't bother with premier league football at all. It's the emotion that keeps us going, bad and good.
Some stupid pundit will say 'form goes out of the window for the Derby', and make it out its unpredictable.
Morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.