Silva and Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

evertony

Player Valuation: £40m
There’s a lot of similarities between Marco Silva and Roberto Martinez....both live and breathe football, both like to play an attacking fluent style and in my humble opinion Silva is starting to get Everton in the same way that Roberto clearly did.
I was a big Martinez fan, primarily because he wanted to entertain and he gave the players a bit of freedom on the pitch. His reliance on the offensive side of the game though and seeming inability to coach a defence cost him his job after a brilliant first season and despite good Cup runs in his final season.
In a way the slow start to Silvas tenure, and the way he’s handled the pressure of a dodgy start at a Club with big expectations, is a real positive....I think it could be a polar opposite period of that we had under Martinez. With Roberto we started brilliantly and faded over three seasons...with Silva I can see us getting stronger and the players understanding his style of play. With the huge changes in playing staff in such a short time and the need to rid the fans, players and indeed the whole Club of the stain that was Sam Allardyce, a slow season shouldn’t have been unexpected. Silva and Brands have brought in technically better players than we’ve had for a good many years and the togetherness of the squad is very obvious. The fact that he’s endured a defensive nightmare for a good part of the season but been able to coach the players to adapt (we’ve seemingly worked out how to defend set pieces and keep clean sheets) is a massive positive.
I expect there’ll be a lot of anti-Martinez responses, and it’s too soon to suggest Silva will be good for us responses, but I can see an exciting future at Everton, and it’ll coincide nicely with the ground move. Good to have some positivity about the Club for a change.

There’s a lot of similarities between Marco Silva and Roberto Martinez....both live and breathe football, both like to play an attacking fluent style and in my humble opinion Silva is starting to get Everton in the same way that Roberto clearly did.
I was a big Martinez fan, primarily because he wanted to entertain and he gave the players a bit of freedom on the pitch. His reliance on the offensive side of the game though and seeming inability to coach a defence cost him his job after a brilliant first season and despite good Cup runs in his final season.
In a way the slow start to Silvas tenure, and the way he’s handled the pressure of a dodgy start at a Club with big expectations, is a real positive....I think it could be a polar opposite period of that we had under Martinez. With Roberto we started brilliantly and faded over three seasons...with Silva I can see us getting stronger and the players understanding his style of play. With the huge changes in playing staff in such a short time and the need to rid the fans, players and indeed the whole Club of the stain that was Sam Allardyce, a slow season shouldn’t have been unexpected. Silva and Brands have brought in technically better players than we’ve had for a good many years and the togetherness of the squad is very obvious. The fact that he’s endured a defensive nightmare for a good part of the season but been able to coach the players to adapt (we’ve seemingly worked out how to defend set pieces and keep clean sheets) is a massive positive.
I expect there’ll be a lot of anti-Martinez responses, and it’s too soon to suggest Silva will be good for us responses, but I can see an exciting future at Everton, and it’ll coincide nicely with the ground move. Good to have some positivity about the Club for a change.
* touches wood

I beg to differ Goat.

I suppose they both playing attacking football, but other than that their tactics are very different.

Martinez got proper soak with Everton, so far Marco seems to be giving us lots of respect, but I wouldnt say hes as soak as Clown shoes.

Regarding tactics Martinez favoured a tiki taka, lets play it around the CBs and send the fans asleep style.
Silva prefers a pressing, counter attack style, fast paced.

I mean nothing alike wasnt correct, I admit.

Anyway, this was a good read.

In Conclusion…..

Marco Silva and Roberto Martinez share some similarities but are fundamentally very different managers with differing philosophies. The Spaniard is all about possession and passing whilst Portuguese manager is all about organisation and attention to detail and exposing the spaces. It’s hard to definitively say whether if he took the Everton managers job he would have the same problems the Spaniard did. They can be both flawed in their approach as can be seen from the number of goals conceded however who knows given time to build his own side and having more than just one preseason under his belt whether Marco Silva can live up to his lofty potential and push Everton towards where they want to be

Another Martinez? Potentially but he deserves a chance to prove his doubters wrong, he is a very capable manager who could with time prove to be a very good appointment.

Unfortunately, I think Silva will face what RM never had to: a successful Liverpool. That will make a massive difference for Silva. If Liverpool are champions (as I expect) then the already impatient fanbase will crush any manager who isn't seen to be making substantial strides in the table and on the domestic cup front.

If they win the league, Silva next season will have to have us right in amongst the top 6 and knocking very loudly at the door of the CL spots.

It's an unfortunate by-product of external events.

I suppose they both playing attacking football, but other than that their tactics are very different.
Martinez got proper soak with Everton, so far Marco seems to be giving us lots of respect, but I wouldnt say hes as soak as Clown shoes.
Regarding tactics Martinez favoured a tiki taka, lets play it around the CBs and send the fans asleep style.

In Conclusion…..

Marco Silva and Roberto Martinez share some similarities but are fundamentally very different managers with differing philosophies. The Spaniard is all about possession and passing whilst Portuguese manager is all about organisation and attention to detail and exposing the spaces. It’s hard to definitively say whether if he took the Everton managers job he would have the same problems the Spaniard did. They can be both flawed in their approach as can be seen from the number of goals conceded however who knows given time to build his own side and having more than just one preseason under his belt whether Marco Silva can live up to his lofty potential and push Everton towards where they want to be

Another Martinez? Potentially but he deserves a chance to prove his doubters wrong, he is a very capable manager who could with time prove to be a very good appointment.
...describes the approach to just about every away game we played under RM.

Are you sure you watch football?

In Conclusion…..

Tactically, I agree...very few close similarities. However, both have a much more positive approach than a lot of the managers that get linked with Everton every time we lose a game. Nobody could deny how good Bobbys first season was....hell - we even sang about the reopening of the School of Science. He was unfortunate to have a more limited squad than Silva now has, and equally unfortunate that he had some real bad eggs like Mirallas and Supergrass who undermined him the minute they weren’t playing regularly. Silva appears a stronger character too. Dropping Richarlison for the Derby and the City game showed he’s not afraid to make big calls.
The biggest similarity I see is the great spirit amongst the squad and the fact that the players seem to enjoy playing for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.