Should Muhamed Besic be starting for Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is clearly a good player. But he still needs time to adapt to living in England and the league. Using him in the cups and starting the occasional league game will get him to that point, but by next season I'd like to see him starting over Barry if he's good enough.

Right now I still want the McCarthy/Barry duo but if one of those two can't go, then Besic is the first one to fill in.

Over whom tho? McCarthy? Barry? Gibson even? People forget how boss Gibson is/was before he injured himself last season. He's a good player, he'll take over for Barry soon but its not a bad thing to be deputizing for Gareth Barry, he of 53 international caps.

I thought @Brownie just meant that they're no different as in they play the same role, not the age and experience.

Based on stats and displays - I'd say he's not ready to start frequently just yet, but it defo shows when Barry is tired now and Besic is a great replacement for the role. Think he'd be "ready" soon though, probably a month or two of cameos and the odd start and he'd be set. I'd like to see him in a pivotal role a bit more, man-marking the dangerous player and opening up for passes.

The whole issue with him, for me, is that he doesn't really play in the same/effective role he does for Everton, as he does for Bosnia, mainly because we play a different formation - 4-2-3-1, rather than 4-1-4-1 (or 4-3-3 if you will), as for Bosnia he's the only DM and it seems to suit him, as he has more players to pass to in front of him. For us he's playing alongside one more DM and a lot more is expected of him - to break up opposition play, get the ball back, redistribute it AND create chances/start attacks. Not sure if he's entirely ready for that, but that is something that he can work on and improve a lot in doing.

Then there's the other thing - Martinez seems to use him as he uses McCarthy - in a "free role" defensive midfield slot, which allows him to go forward a bit more, and we've seen that he's not exactly the best at doing that...

TL;DR - straight swap with Barry = great. What we're doing right now = not so great.
Thanks for writing it down, the first one who realizes that it's a not familiar position for him so he needs to adapt to this, too. Agree with all You wrote down: in the NT he's strictly a DM who very often steps up as CB if that's needed. And when Martinez puts him in the starting XI than he's a DM in left/right wing and expects him to go forward more. Two different roles to fill in, challenging ones but if he can fit the expectations that will be the proof that he's not just another "seems good" player.

Status
Not open for further replies.