Should Ferguson have stayed as a coach or should he have looked to manage elsewhere?

Ferguson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn’t have been “sacked” - possibly not good initially for Lampard’s PR! However if, as he says he does, he wants the job at some point in future I think he needs to go and prove himself as a manager somewhere, even if that’s just to prove to himself that’s really what he wants to do!

He shouldve left, for sure. If him being in play as a potential Sunderland manager is true, i think he showed his true level of ambition by staying. If he just wants to be a part of a coaching team, thats fine, but dont have him in any way involved with management then.

He should have gone the day after his first reign, if he wants to manage us. Unsworth should have done exactly the same.
I’m guessing either nothing has come up elsewhere that appeals to him, or he just wants to be involved at this club as much as he can.

He definitely should’ve gone and looked for a managerial role. The longer he stays at Everton the less likely it is he’s ever going to get the Everton manager’s job.
and @davek

It just depends what he wants I suppose.

Lampard did want him here, it's good for that bit of continuity to help him get to know the squad.

Ferguson clearly is happy to stay.

He may well be very happy being a coach right now but if he harbours any ambition of being a manager (as he says he does) then he will have to leave.

But maybe that will come in the summer, when there'll be more options out there?

It's easier to look for a job while you're in a job and the same applies here, doesn't it? In the mean time, he's working at the place he loves, where he and his family are settled. No point rushing off to manage somewhere like Sunderland in the middle of the season when it could all go tits up.

So I reckon he leaves in the summer

He will only putting cones out as Dave may post ......but he can still pass on good tips to DCL .'....

Should have gone after the Sunderland job imo he applied for the EFC Managers job never got it - needed to move on perhaps?

Think by staying he definitely opted for the safe option (again). Don't doubt he loves the club and seems satisfied with his role and his relatively stress free lifestyle. His willingness to stay in the background and not pursue a career as a number one elsewhere, probably points to a lack of ambition.

Don't think he'll ever be considered for full time manager here. No problem with him staying on though.

All depends on his aspirations if he wants to eventually be a head manager, yes he should accrue experience in the lower leagues to distinguish himself. If he's content as an assistant coach and plying his craft in that format he should stay here and continue to contribute to a club he has professed a great fondness. No shame in being an assistant , supposedly the new assistant coach, Clement, is stellar at the role but mediocre as a manager. Gotta find a position that can let you excel.

I have thought about this an I am glad he is still there.

I think big Dunc is in a similar spot to myself re his career. I have reached a certain level and I don’t want the next job up. I think if he was honest with himself he does not want to be number 1 and he does not want to go to another club. He is a staunch Evertonian who is happy being part of the coaching set-up.

For me he has a role to play as part of large coaching setup. He can motivate, he has technical skills/knowledge to impart to the strikers and he is a connection with the supporters. Credit to Lampard for seeing this and feeling secure enough to incorporate him.

I read an article about West Ham a few months ago and a lot of their success has been put down to the spirit they have been able to build through a large coaching set-up that still includes former players like Pearce and Nolan. Hopefully we can do something similar

I've been asked by others to test the water on this. So...

'Should Ferguson have stayed as a coach or should he have looked to manage elsewhere?'

Who asked you?
Dave we need a new thread on ferguson. Can you do it?
Nah i cant.
Come on dave. Only you can do this. Nobody else is qualified. Please dave..
Oh...ok. but let me be clear i will get no pleasure from it.

What a load of sh!t.

I've never fathomed why he is considered a legend, he's not fit to lace the boots of people like Big Nev, Rats and players of the 80s era who were part of a fantastic Everton team.

Idolise those guys and Dixie Dean, Duncan is neither here nor there for me

Status
Not open for further replies.