Short corners? a better option than just lump it in??

Status
Not open for further replies.

degsy

Just big enough to make an example of.
I've lost count of;
1) the number of corners we've had this season
( no doubt some anorak will tell me )
2) how many goals we have scored from them, I will even stretch it to goals that came as a result of what happened after the corner

My answers...1) Many....2) not many

There are many options and variations on the short corner routine

Fellaini ( and others ) get many to the general direction of their heads

Yet nearly the very first time he got it to his feet at the edge of the box he scored.

Methinks; Time for a bit of outside the envelope coaching inovation from our guys

qCI00_i0b0WHnPygA2YFWg2.gif

Nailed on.

Nope nobody ever scores from a short corner.

We don't score from long corners ( in the absense stats to the contrary ) and...

Alot of our good work is done in that square between the corner and the edge of the box, especially on the left.

I hate the word Phase but the Baines, Pienaar, a.n.other trianges lead to many of these P words why not keep the ball in play and try to work an opening, rather than just lump it in.
Always assuming that we clear the first defender....It would also stop them breaking away from our corner, like they do all to often
just sayin like

Reckon we need to work on defending them before we get any fancy ideas about how we take them.
Too true,
but all our defenders as coaches have that sorted don't they
don't they?
But then a lot of our troubles aren't just from corners the costly ones are from open play put to the back post

*lightbulb moment

What about we take our short corner and then from the the resultant open play
* takes blue sky leap
put it to the back post
or play a 1-2 into the box
just lash it in hard and low
or
or
or

Nah, just lump it in, thats what put the science into school of science
Not

Short corners are a waste of a corner in most cases. The whole advantage of a corner is that you can get a 'free' cross in to the box. It only takes one man to take it, and you can position your bigger players where you want them, this often involves bringing up your central defenders.

If you take a short corner, then you have two players by the corner flag who are out of position if it breaks down. It's also more likely that the play will break down before the cross comes in to the box, purely because there are extra passes involved and a defender can close it down, meaning your central defenders have run up the pitch for no reason. Your goal is most likely to come from one of the bigger players either heading it in or causing problems to create a loose ball, ask any player decent in the air if they want you to cross it in or play it short first and they'll all want it thrown in so they have a chance of attacking it.

We should have scored the other night from a normal corner, Felli headed it down and Naismith was too busy day dreaming instead of doing his job in front of the keeper. We have players capable of delivering good balls in to the box in Baines and Gibson, I think we just need to practice them more. That one where Baines kicked it out of play should never happen.

I think we just need to be a bit better in our movement and delivery from set pieces, we have players who are good in the air as well and a real threat. To combat sides breaking on us we just need someone to sit outside the box and pick up the loose balls to make sure the opposition doesn’t get a free break away at least.

Doing anything repeatedly makes it easier to defend against. The odd short corner to a player like Mirallas who can dribble into the box and maybe get a pen or draw a few out of the crowd would be better than just constantly knocking them in.

Same for the odd one to the edge for Gibbo to have a volley.

I don't think they're particularly effective but maybe it would be good to mix it up a little bit, so that the opposition can't be too sure of what they're dealing with.

Also, we've gone from having 1 decent corner taker to 3 or 4 now, with Baines, Mirallas, Gibson and Hitzlsperger all good at them, also that's two lefties and two righties, so we should always have someone one the pitch who can take one from either side, so maybe we'll start to see one or two more go in.

Status
Not open for further replies.