Seventh Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
The players should be asking themselves how Wolves, a newly promoted team, have managed to finish above them. Should be a source of shame, but equally, a source of motivation for next season.

The players should be asking themselves how Wolves, a newly promoted team, have managed to finish above them. Should be a source of shame, but equally, a source of motivation for next season.
To be fair they got the most points be a newly promoted team in 17/18 years,so they have had to go some to achieve that,plus they would not i dont think do anywhere near as good next season, even if they dont get europa,they may end up 10-15th ish,this could have been one of those one of seasons were a new team and theres always one that do well the 1st season they come up

To be fair they got the most points be a newly promoted team in 17/18 years,so they have had to go some to achieve that,plus they would not i dont think do anywhere near as good next season, even if they dont get europa,they may end up 10-15th ish,this could have been one of those one of seasons were a new team and theres always one that do well the 1st season they come up
Still think the players should feel like they’ve let the fanbase down. Burnley last season and now Wolves this season.

You do know that Wolves assembled a PL team while in the Championship I assume? Their wages to turnover ratio and potential losses if they didnt go up were off the charts last season.

It was a massive gamble that paid off.

How is it a source of shame? They've assembled a tidy squad who have all been playing together for a while, They're going to beat us by a mere 4 points.
Silva and Brands had to assemble a team together and hope they done the business while not having a proper center forward and also trying to clean out the mess that Koeman and the P.E teacher left.
Burnley finished above us last season while they are relegation fodder this season while Everton have maintained being in the top half despite being gash for the past 3-4 seasons.

Honestly find it weird that our fan base expects 6th to be a cake walk.

You do know that Wolves assembled a PL team while in the Championship I assume? Their wages to turnover ratio and potential losses if they didnt go up were off the charts last season.

It was a massive gamble that paid off.
What’s your point? Go look at our annual wage bill in comparison to Wolves’.

Average wage bills Premier League 2018/19
Rank
Team Average annual wage per player
1 Manchester United £6,534,654
2 Manchester City £5,993,000
3 Chelsea £5,020,004
4 Liverpool £4,862,963
5 Arsenal £4,853,130
6 Tottenham Hotspur £3,515,778
7 Everton £3,242,690
14 Wolverhampton Wanderers £1,757,600

Surely you’re not suggesting it isn’t extremely disappointing to finish behind newly promoted Wolves?

How is it a source of shame? They've assembled a tidy squad who have all been playing together for a while, They're going to beat us by a mere 4 points.
Silva and Brands had to assemble a team together and hope they done the business while not having a proper center forward and also trying to clean out the mess that Koeman and the P.E teacher left.
Burnley finished above us last season while they are relegation fodder this season while Everton have maintained being in the top half despite being gash for the past 3-4 seasons.

Why do people continuously put out this myth that anyone who criticises this season expected us to be in 6th position? We didn’t. No one expected us to be competing with the Top 6.

Rank
3 Chelsea £5,020,004
4 Liverpool £4,862,963
5 Arsenal £4,853,130
7 Everton £3,242,690

Surely you’re not suggesting it isn’t extremely disappointing to finish behind newly promoted Wolves?

No, I am saying that Wolves didnt fluke a jammy promotion and sneaked up.

Maybe shame is a bit much, but it's certainly not acceptable from the players is it.

Wolves are a promoted side with players who have no experience in this league. We have a squad who is used to being in the top 8 of the PL and we added players whove had CL experience. We shouldn't be in a position where Wolves are finishing higher in their 1st season back up, and whilst they deserve credit, our players have failed to perform to achieve our expected 7th place finish. Leicester being current 'rivals' is fair enough, they have established themselves over a number of seasons and still have title winners in the side.

If Wolves get it right then it looks like they and Leicester will be our biggest challengers for 7th in the coming seasons and breaking in to that top 6. But the jury's still out on them, and next season wont be easy for them.

If we dont add a goalscorer up front though, I fear it will be more of the same next season, but I do trust Brands and Silva in the summer.

I suspect the 'I didn't want Europa League because I don't like Sunday Premier League games' brigade will be cheering now Wolves have clinched 7th.

Last edited:
Why do people continuously put out this myth that anyone who criticises this season expected us to be in 6th position? We didn’t. No one expected us to be competing with the Top 6.
My apologies, I meant 7th.

Maybe shame is a bit much, but it's certainly not acceptable from the players is it.

Wolves are a promoted side with players who have no experience in this league. We have a squad who is used to being in the top 8 of the PL and we added players whove had CL experience. We shouldn't be in a position where Wolves are finishing higher in their 1st season back up, and whilst they deserve credit, our players have failed to perform to achieve our expected 7th place finish. Leicester being current 'rivals' is fair enough, they have established themselves over a number of seasons and still have title winners in the side.

If Wolves get it right then it looks like they and Leicester will be our biggest challengers for 7th in the coming seasons and breaking in to that top 6. But the jury's still out on them, and next season wont be easy for them.

If we dont add a goalscorer up front though, I fear it will be more of the same next season, but I do trust Brands and Silva in the summer.
Wolves have took the most points from the top 6 outside the "big 6", All these players have had to buy into Silva's way of playing and philosophies. Wolves squad is pretty similar to the one where they destroyed the Championship, Having a settled team like that can go a long way, Silva had to chop and change until he finally nailed it with Richarlison on the right which happened WAY late on in the season.
We are a consistent top half team despite having disastrous seasons. It's been a hot and cold season and Wolves will have clinched 7th by a measly 4 points, I'm not worried at all we can bounce back quite easily it's nothing to worry about imo.

No, I am saying that Wolves didnt fluke a jammy promotion and sneaked up.
Yes , there were plenty of objections from Championship clubs about the finance Wolves were splashing around iirc.

It was a big gamble by them but paid off handsomely.
They came up with a squad with continuity ready for the Prem.

Rank
3 Chelsea £5,020,004
4 Liverpool £4,862,963
5 Arsenal £4,853,130
7 Everton £3,242,690

Yeah, that'll be because we have about 65 players on the books, when the fat is timmed we'd halve that figure.

It’s a shame we haven’t came 7th, but realistically I feel we are heading in the right direction. I have to take my hat off to Wolves as they have been very good this season in fairness, plus it’s been a transitional season for us. I’m hoping with a full pre season and chances to do business early we will be significantly improved next season, and I trust both Silva and Brands to deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.