Seventh Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
43-AD5565-AB75-4-F47-BC91-B79062014114.jpg

:coffee:
Turning point in that game was the DCL disallowed goal which was a very harsh decision....... at 2-0 up it may have been harder for Spurs.....

Everton: Pts:49 GD:+6
Palace (A)
Burnley (H)
Spurs (A)

Watford: Pts:50 GD0
Wolves (H)
Chelsea (A)
West Ham (H)

Wolves: Pts:51 GD+1
Watford (A)
Fulham (H)
Liverpool (A)

Leicester: Pts:48 GD+1
Arsenal (H)
Man City (A)
Chelsea (H)

Guessing on that, we'll get 6 point, watford 4 pts, wolves 4 pts and leicester 2 or 3 pts,

which means we'll pip wolves on GD, with watford 1 pt behind.

I personally don't want to qualify for europe this year but I can see both sides of the argument.

If we don't increase revenues then I don't see how we can increase the quality of the squad in the short term so when will we be ready for Europe ?

There is a big perception difference between the Europa League and Champions League though

Players don't see it as a blanket "Oh, they're playing in Europe"

One definitely means more than the other, and one is a selling point whilst the other isn't

One means you play in the biggest club tournament in the world, the other means you play Thursday-Sunday all season in a tournament that feels like it goes on forever, where literally no one cares about it until the semi-final stage, and where the only reason to win it is so that you can qualify for the tournament that people actually care about

I'm not happy about that of course, but UEFA destroyed the UEFA Cup when they added a group stage and then finished it off with the name change and the fact that teams from the Champions League can drop into it

It's prestige is minimal and means next to nothing when attracting most players
tumblr_o6rp9vdJlD1qfwwamo2_250.gif

Clearly there are big challenges in playing in the Europa League.

Generally, I think the positives outweigh the negatives but I think you have to make the SF at least to consider it worthwhile.

Our last campaign had us reduced to a laughing stock, there is no exposure other than ridicule for that.

As a club, I think if we have any ambition at all, we have to get used to being able to manage extra games, and cope with it, and actually try to take the thing seriously enough if we make it.

It's a long slog, and difficult to win, but it gives something else to focus on and would broaden horizons for Silva and some of the players.

Europa League qualification is probably the best it gets at present, short of a domestic cup win so if we get a chance at competing in another competition we should take it with both hands.

It's something else that is there to win, and even though practically everyone at the club seems to have forgotten it, we are here to win games and cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.