Sell to Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aint sell to buy.

Just because we are selling crap players who were out on loan last season makes zero difference.

I guarantee we'll spend about £90-100 million this summer and we'll be lucky to recoup about £40-45 million of that from sales therefore we aint sell to buy.

Sell to buy was selling Lescott for £24 million under Kenwright and spending just £20 million in the window.

Or Southampton selling Van Dijk for £75 million and not spending half of that.
I'll bet its more. Sales of 75M, total buys of 150M, and the wage bill will be lower.

If we buy very talented players at low cost/low wages and sell them at a very high value then sell to buy is wonderful. Then continue the cycle.

Where we currently have an issue is the previous model was buy high cost/wages players in the hope that they could immediately transform the club, who subsequently nobody is willing to take from us and we are financially bound to.

We are struggling to offload a lot of deadwood because they will consider it a relatively high transfer fee (we will want to recoup some of our spend) and they will be largely unwilling to take a pay cut.

If we add to what is already a large squad, with lots of players who command high wages and aren't attractive to clubs, then it will be ruinous. We have to try to reduce that pool first before we can really enjoy much more spending.

Keep the best players we have and the ones with potential. If we can do this and gradually add quality we will be successful. We need to keep our best players at all costs, if we are successful they will want to stay. I'd say we have a half decent team at the moment, with a couple of youngsters who could develop. (Lookman is 1!) If we can look back in 4 years and have no regrets over any sales, I believe we will be well established in the top 6. This is just as important as signing the right players.

So Vlasic is out the door, are we operating a sell to buy policy as has been mentioned elsewhere and do you now expect to see a signing? Those still sceptical of Moshiri suggest that's exactly how this summer will go, others suggest we need to trim the wage bill before incoming signings because of FFP.

Is it coincidence that Vlasic leaves as the Gomes deal looks likely to be completed? What are your thoughts? *Waits for Eggs to criticise existence of thread or subject matter
Yes...hopefully more coincidences like this to come

Selling players that won't make the team and replacing them with ones who will.

That's good business.

Think for any genuine concerns in this thread, people forget that if we didn't sell to buy then we couldnt afford the wages for the new players?

Status
Not open for further replies.