2023/24 Sean Dyche

Dyche is miraculously doing a really good job, but he has some big faults for me too.

He's struck lucky in Branthwaite, that's for sure. We'll never know if he wasn't playing because he wasn't fully fit, or whether he genuinely preferred Keane at the start of the season, but it was shocking to see him selected. He's a last-ditch option for me is Keane. That deffo cost us points in those home games we lost.

Then he again got lucky in needing to switch Garner to CM despite Gana and Onana looking like they couldn't play together. Immediately we looked better with Garner and Onana together. Garner at right wing, no wonder we couldn't score against Fulham and Wolves at home when you're relying on good wing play to feed your only striker.

Young was fine yesterday but he doesn't deserve to be playing, and that's going to be detrimental to Patterson knowing that even if he comes in and plays fine, he's immediately back out for a 38-year-old fella that's never played right back in his career.

Still, Dyche also has a lot of mitigating factors in that he very likely would have gone nowhere near Beto or Danjuma if he had any money, and are terribly short on numbers. We're fooked if Pickford, DCL or one of the CB gets a bad injury.
I agree with your points, but all managers have blind spots and all managers get lucky in how team selections develop from time to time.

Dyche is miraculously doing a really good job, but he has some big faults for me too.

He's struck lucky in Branthwaite, that's for sure. We'll never know if he wasn't playing because he wasn't fully fit, or whether he genuinely preferred Keane at the start of the season, but it was shocking to see him selected. He's a last-ditch option for me is Keane. That deffo cost us points in those home games we lost.

Then he again got lucky in needing to switch Garner to CM despite Gana and Onana looking like they couldn't play together. Immediately we looked better with Garner and Onana together. Garner at right wing, no wonder we couldn't score against Fulham and Wolves at home when you're relying on good wing play to feed your only striker.

Young was fine yesterday but he doesn't deserve to be playing, and that's going to be detrimental to Patterson knowing that even if he comes in and plays fine, he's immediately back out for a 38-year-old fella that's never played right back in his career.

Still, Dyche also has a lot of mitigating factors in that he very likely would have gone nowhere near Beto or Danjuma if he had any money, and are terribly short on numbers. We're fooked if Pickford, DCL or one of the CB gets a bad injury.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

I think he has us set up really well away from home, its not the prettiest but it works.

I'm hugely concerned about his record at Goodison and the way he trys to play at home. There needs to be abit more freedom at home and a different plan, as once we go a goal down, we are screwed

Doing a really good job imo.

That was our 8th win in all comps this season. It was May last season by the time we managed that.

We've gained 17 points from 14 league games. It took 21 games last season to reach that tally.

Last time we won 3 away from home in a row was during Ancelotti's time with no fans in the grounds. Before that it was 2014.

There are plenty of other metrics I could list, but I cba.

We should be 11th now and coasting towards a season of mid table obscurity. After the last couple of years, I’d imagine most of us would have torn your arm off for that.

UTFT.

That was our 8th win in all comps this season. It was May last season by the time we managed that.

We've gained 17 points from 14 league games. It took 21 games last season to reach that tally.

Last time we won 3 away from home in a row was during Ancelotti's time with no fans in the grounds. Before that it was 2014.
Fantastic stats there
I don’t think there’s anyone better to have in
charge of this group of players in the position we find ourselves in

Pretty much agree with all of this.

I think he has us set up really well away from home, its not the prettiest but it works.

I'm hugely concerned about his record at Goodison and the way he trys to play at home. There needs to be abit more freedom at home and a different plan, as once we go a goal down, we are screwed
I don’t think we’ve got the players to play with a bit more freedom though. Look at Doucoure and Beto trying to link up yesterday! Giving the two of them more time on the ball would be a disaster!

The only thing that could be tried is putting Garner a bit further forward maybe with Gueye and Onana behind him but it’s been a while since all three have been available and honestly he’s not going to drop Doucoure whilst he’s been scoring goals in Dyche’s time here

I don’t think we’ve got the players to play with a bit more freedom though. Look at Doucoure and Beto trying to link up yesterday! Giving the two of them more time on the ball would be a disaster!

The only thing that could be tried is putting Garner a bit further forward maybe with Gueye and Onana behind him but it’s been a while since all three have been available and honestly he’s not going to drop Doucoure whilst he’s been scoring goals in Dyche’s time here
Yes he has scored 4 goals but we are 14 games in and it's highly debatable as to whether Doucoure overall does enough to justify his position in games, personally Id rather see McNeill there, as he showed in the second half he is much more effective in the middle, he is never a wide player at this level.

…great pic from @andy4efc of the 6 players in the box leading up to the goal. Ok, it might have been after a set play had broken down but it was as positive as Gueye getting on the end of a move late in the game at Palace. I don’t mind watching Dyche Everton;

IMG_7191.jpeg

There are plenty of other metrics I could list, but I cba.

We should be 11th now and coasting towards a season of mid table obscurity. After the last couple of years, I’d imagine most of us would have torn your arm off for that.

UTFT.

Whilst I agree if we had retained points and were to beat the Geordies we'd be six points off them.

Its a hell of a turn around.

Great viewing that.

Imagine if we had even mediocre home form to marry that.

I have zero complaints with how we set up and play away but he needs to find a formula that works at home.
Its not pretty on the eyes but so far its effective.

For me regardless of who were playing front foot football is a must at Goodison, it gets the crowd going and we all know how important that is for us.

Great viewing that.

Imagine if we had even mediocre home form to marry that.

I have zero complaints with how we set up and play away but he needs to find a formula that works at home.
Its not pretty on the eyes but so far its effective.

For me regardless of who were playing front foot football is a must at Goodison, it gets the crowd going and we all know how important that is for us.

….does ‘Playing on the front foot’ mean a change in personnel? I’m thinking more of wide positions where we play wingers who double up with their full backs when the opposition have possession. Perhaps Danjuma to play in home matches, although he hardly makes a difference with his cameos.