2023/24 Sean Dyche

I don’t actively “want” an Everton manager to fail. I didn’t “want” Lampard sacked, but I knew he had to be in the end, because he was proving himself to be useless. I’d much rather Dyche become competent and still be our manager at the end of the season than have to go through more upheaval, so I can’t say I “want” him sacked.

Do I think he will see out the season in the job though? No, because I don’t think he’s a very good manager.
I want a massive piece of humble pie, i dont want him to fail either i just know he will.

Wanting him to fail and wanting him sacked are two different things.
I dont believe he is good enough for us or any PL club thats why i would get rid rather than wait for the inevitable IMO
Would i like him to have us 6/7th place in May of course i would and i would be the first to hold my hand up, but i very much doubt it.

Didn't want Dyche. A large part of my logic was that I fully expected us to go down last season and, given Bielsa seemed to be the alternative, I believed that Bielsa would be much better suited to working with a fully overhauled squad of younger, somewhat untested players. There was a bit of snobbery about style of play too if I'm honest, but it wasn't really anything to do with me believing he'd be incompetent.

Didn't want Lampard before him, largely because I thought he was an utterly ridiculous appointment for the situation we found ourselves in. There had been huge red flags about the data in terms of the performances at the clubs he was at before Everton and he had demonstrated zero evidence of ever being able to improve a side he took over. There were people on here and Twitter etc banging the drum for him because he was "young and hungry" and would "unite the fanbase", as if those are tangible qualities required for getting results.

Didn't want Benitez before him, because even if he'd managed to rediscover some of his former glories, his track record showed that he caused chaos and behind-the-scenes mayhem at every club he was ever at and, predictably, because of who he is and his history, he would be afforded less patience from our fanbase than any other manager we'd ever had.

The point I'm making here I guess is that I sort of feel like we have finally lucked our way into appointing the right man at the right time - The fact Dyche kept us up was huge for me. I genuinely didn't believe he, or anyone, could keep us up as in January the club was on its backside. For the situation we find ourselves in, I actually think he's one of the better managers around we could have (Moyes would be the same sort of thing here). If a situation arises in the next couple of years where money is available again and we are able to progress the way we play and bring better players in, then absolutely we should look at whether we can improve on Dyche but until that happens, as long as Dyche keeps us safe for the next couple of seasons, I don't think there's a debate to be had. He may be fortunate to be benefitting from low expectations, but survival is the absolute priority and anyone with delusions of grandeur above that (someone on here said we were much better than aiming for 12th place the other day) is living in cloud cuckoo land to my mind. If we lose a couple of games, people seem to lose their minds and totally miss the reality of the situation we are in - like we should be winning games because we are Everton. We are in survival mode and that will remain the case for at least this season and probably longer.

Didn't want Dyche. A large part of my logic was that I fully expected us to go down last season and, given Bielsa seemed to be the alternative, I believed that Bielsa would be much better suited to working with a fully overhauled squad of younger, somewhat untested players. There was a bit of snobbery about style of play too if I'm honest, but it wasn't really anything to do with me believing he'd be incompetent.

Didn't want Lampard before him, largely because I thought he was an utterly ridiculous appointment for the situation we found ourselves in. There had been huge red flags about the data in terms of the performances at the clubs he was at before Everton and he had demonstrated zero evidence of ever being able to improve a side he took over. There were people on here and Twitter etc banging the drum for him because he was "young and hungry" and would "unite the fanbase", as if those are tangible qualities required for getting results.

Didn't want Benitez before him, because even if he'd managed to rediscover some of his former glories, his track record showed that he caused chaos and behind-the-scenes mayhem at every club he was ever at and, predictably, because of who he is and his history, he would be afforded less patience from our fanbase than any other manager we'd ever had.

The point I'm making here I guess is that I sort of feel like we have finally lucked our way into appointing the right man at the right time - The fact Dyche kept us up was huge for me. I genuinely didn't believe he, or anyone, could keep us up as in January the club was on its backside. For the situation we find ourselves in, I actually think he's one of the better managers around we could have (Moyes would be the same sort of thing here). If a situation arises in the next couple of years where money is available again and we are able to progress the way we play and bring better players in, then absolutely we should look at whether we can improve on Dyche but until that happens, as long as Dyche keeps us safe for the next couple of seasons, I don't think there's a debate to be had. He may be fortunate to be benefitting from low expectations, but survival is the absolute priority and anyone with delusions of grandeur above that (someone on here said we were much better than aiming for 12th place the other day) is living in cloud cuckoo land to my mind. If we lose a couple of games, people seem to lose their minds and totally miss the reality of the situation we are in - like we should be winning games because we are Everton. We are in survival mode and that will remain the case for at least this season and probably longer.
After Brentford I agree 100%
Lose to Luton I will disagree 100% lol

Seriously though, there are a few things I like about him and a few things that annoy me about him and results will accentuate one or the other
Need a run of results badly to settle down the noise on the grass fit fit

Out of interest, why do you think that (and no I totally don’t think that’s a top geezer).

I think because he managed Burnley and has a voice like he’s been drinking gravel there’s an assumption he’s brexit and racism but I’m not sure he gets buy in from our multicultural team if that’s the case, especially having people like Doucoure coming out saying he’s playing his best football under Dyche and giving credit to him for that, given that he played under Ancelotti!

What a horrible thing to say about someone with zero evidence.

I am not saying his racist but there is a huge percentage of the population that watch GB News, and speak about wokery. I don't actually think it's racist to have an opinion on immigration, although it's not something that bothers me. I appreciate that large swathes of the population are different from me with different opinions, and political persuasions. If they do their job professionally that all you can ask.
But yeah, it is basically built on zero evidence and an off-the-cuff interview where he describes Thatcher as his ideal dinner party guest. It was only in jest!

Doucoure is a simple player and Dyche plays simple football so I'm not surprised he is happy at the moment, it's not that long ago he sat on a ball refusing to warm up with the rest of the team.
He's also the player who has provided the single-most productive performances to keep our heads above water. If thats a simple player give me several more - much better to have a simple player who is effective than a fancy-dan who isn't.

I don't know anything about that but I have seen a bit of that vid of him playing golf with that chunkz blert and he does come across as slightly annoying in it. Also during the latter part of the Donny game it was obvious the players took it upon themselves to win the game and they were ignoring his touchline instructions as he was dancing about ala Klopp. I think we have a fairly good group anyway but I'm not 100% convinced they are fully behind Dyche, we will see, need a few more performances like the other day and can hopefully build on them.
Just watching the video with him playing golf with Tubes (if that what you wanted). Actually, think he is alright.
Bit liberal with the Gimmees though, to be honest.

Great post

He's also the player who has provided the single-most productive performances to keep our heads above water. If thats a simple player give me several more - much better to have a simple player who is effective than a fancy-dan who isn't.
You can be both though. Don't forget for most of he his time at the club he has been frustrating and largely ineffective but it's hard to deny he is going through a rich spell of form at the moment and we need him to keep it up.

You can be both though. Don't forget for most of he his time at the club he has been frustrating and largely ineffective but it's hard to deny he is going through a rich spell of form at the moment and we need him to keep it up.
Likely because Lampard didn't like or trust him and Dyche does. Having a gaffer with faith generally brings out the best in people....and vice versa.

Likely because Lampard didn't like or trust him and Dyche does. Having a gaffer with faith generally brings out the best in people....and vice versa.
Lampard wanted midfielders to be able to do actual midfielder things which Doucoure can't do, Dyche just wants him to run on to the end of things and get knockdowns and support and it suits him much better.

I am not saying his racist but there is a huge percentage of the population that watch GB News, and speak about wokery. I don't actually think it's racist to have an opinion on immigration, although it's not something that bothers me. I appreciate that large swathes of the population are different from me with different opinions, and political persuasions. If they do their job professionally that all you can ask.
But yeah, it is basically built on zero evidence and an off-the-cuff interview where he describes Thatcher as his ideal dinner party guest. It was only in jest!
Jesting is fine but I hear these things a lot on Dyche and it sticks and it would be a shame for people to form an opinion on him without just cause for that.

Ultimately if he does a good job nobody will really give a damn either way so here’s hoping.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.