2023/24 Sean Dyche

To be fair to Dyche he didnt down tools when we lost all those points and he didnt allow the team to feel sorry for themselves and down tools. Shows good man managemnet.
Could you imagine those bottlers at Manchester United going through this?
Most of their players would be crying and posting endless social media posts etc.

The fact that hes got this team through this season with all the crap thats gone on is quite remarkable.

He’s never lost the dressing room and he’s never lost the match going fans. That’s where Martinez Koeman Silva Allardyce Benitez and Lampard all failed. They all lost one or the other and couldn’t stop the Everton death spiral. Every time people have been ready to pronounce Dyche as finished we’ve reeled off wins in a row.

He’s never lost the dressing room and he’s never lost the match going fans. That’s where Martinez Koeman Silva Allardyce Benitez and Lampard all failed. They all lost one or the other and couldn’t stop the Everton death spiral. Every time people have been ready to pronounce Dyche as finished we’ve reeled off wins in a row.
To be fair, I think the reason Benitez failed was due to him being Benitez. He was never going to win the fans over and you have to question why he even took the job in the first place. The players had all the excuses in the world and they could hide behind who the manager was.

For all his supposed intelligence he does some incredibly stupid things at times.

To patronisingly say "if you want fancy stuff go support Barca/City", when at no point I have stated Dyche must play tika-taka otherwise hes gone. It's almost like well if you have any ambition then go support a team being succesful and discard your loyalty of which most of the time has been negative experiences. Years of support matters because it gives context to what the expectations would be and it by saying go support someone else that's an insult. You can surely see how that comes across condescending?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for some progression. Nobody expects us to start playing magical football, but there has been PLENTY this season when we've been lumping it, and it hasn't worked, there has to be a plan B. I have some sympathy for Dyche because our recruitment has been horrendous. and the lack of varied options is baffling, but has Dyche asked for players who can fit into one plan A? or have we just diregarded having different styles available to us?

As i've said multiple times, I do not wish or expect Dyche to be sacked. I dont expect miracles with what is a very, very dire attacking front three or four. However progress has to be made, many times this season plan A hasn't worked and there is no answer for it. There have been plenty of times this season where Dyche has got it right and the players have let him down through missing chances. There have been times this season where he has got it horrendously wrong and has no plan B to change it.

Asking for improvement is not unreasonable. My ask is just "do not go on a 15 game awful run in wihch one of the wins only comes because of a major keeper error)". Just because a management team/players have "overall" done well with a season, which cannot have been easy mentally, doesn't mean we can't ask for some improvement in certain areas. I think we've been relatively lucky that our points deductions have come in a season where the bottom three have been as weak as they have been, 12 points we've taken from Burnley and Forest, had they been stronger we'd perhaps have half of that, maybe less

. An example of what I would hope for, do you remember back to that Luton game? Where we had absolutely no answer to break down a low block? No plan B. Progression for us next season would be to approach those type of games with a bit more imagination and prepardness than just lump into the box and hope for the best.

While I have my criticisms of Dyche, there is no anti-dyche agenda from me, for the negatives I've pointed out, he has stepped out of perhaps a comfort zone by trusting Branthwaite, and by doing so, he and Tarkowski have been immense this season. When you dont have a team keeping the ball, the defence comes under wave after wave of pressure, and both CB's have been outstanding. How we have hte fourth/fifth best defence in the league when we play the way we do, and the fullbacks have been chopped and changed so regularly, god knows.

Just some progression, both as a team and how we play is all I ask. Must have several ways to break teams down and just do the basics of keeping the ball. We massively rely on Set pieces, how many goals from open play this season? Not many? Right there would be a progressive thing to start creating more from open play and putting them away.
Look, in a perfect world, I agree with these sentiments.

However, we don't live in a perfect world. This club is closer to Administration than being able to dream of a Top Half finish. That's reality. Dyche knows this too, and his SOLE responsibility was keeping us up this season. As it will likely be next season as well.

The time for progression is after our ownership mess is sorted. Until that happens, there is no base on which to build, and it's going to be just about keeping us up year in year out.

Dyche believes the best way to keep us up over the span of a 38 game season is to not ship goals and to win the set piece battle game in/game out. We can disagree with that strategy, but it's worked this season, quite comfortably without the deduction.

Hopefully someone other than 777 can come in and get us out of this mess.

I'm still amazed at how many in here want him gone. Football fans are as fickle as the day is long though. West Ham lot have basically ousted Moyes. And Spurs fans now think Ange is no longer the new messiah. Some on talksh*te earlier wanting him gone ! The mind literally boggles. As for Dyche, he's performed wonders, that run of no wins was below par however add the points back in, change some losses to wins and draws and we're knocking on top 8 easily.

I think next season will be just as difficult as this mate, possibly more so, depending upon recruitment and players leaving. Assuming we don't repeat the winless run, and the next points deduction isn't 8 points, and Dom doesn't go 897 games without scoring again, it's easy to think we could be knocking top 8. However it depends on who we buy/sell imo. Onana going I think we could take, but Pickford and/or Branthwaite going puts a whole new spin on things in terms of our final position.

Then there are the players out of contract, and as poor as some of them are individually, they are currently part of a fairly cohesive unit that has done more than enough to stay up. Do we ship them all out and hope to replace? Given the (lack of) funds available are replacements even realistic? Or maybe get rid of a few and extend the odd contract by a year? I wouldn't be surprised if we have an even thinner squad unless we unearth some gems for minimal outlay, or a couple of kids break through.
I have set my mind us competing without branthwaite, onana, and possibly Pickford.
Having a super thin and weakened squad. Topped up with Ashley Young type transfers, maybe a Barkley thrown in for good measure (who will flop)…
No part of me is expecting to be anywhere near top 8.
Am expecting dele to join Ipswich on a free and look like world beater for 3 months though…

I have set my mind us competing without branthwaite, onana, and possibly Pickford.
Having a super thin and weakened squad. Topped up with Ashley Young type transfers, maybe a Barkley thrown in for good measure (who will flop)…
Am expecting dele to join Ipswich on a free and look like world beater for 3 months though…
Pure Everton that.

Gotta keep Pickford and Branthwaite at almost any cost. I'm convinced that if we lose either of them we'll go down next season. Conversely if we keep them both then I would be confident we'd stay up EVEN if we were handed another points deduction.

I'm equally confident that Dele Alli will never play prem football again.

I dont know how much truth the Thelwell rumours have?

Do you recall where or how it was said?
I think it's just based on the only published details of Thelwell's contract that state it expires this year and then a load of twitter speculation. As always, I know nothing.

the horrible bit will be when Maupay and Holgate are drafted back into pre season XIs at the same time as Branthwaite being constantly linked away
Holgate is on the biggest contract he will ever be offered so the club is stuck with him until it ends. Another loan with Everton covering most of the wages I suspect.

Will be very disappointed if we can't get a few Mil for Maupay. He did OK ish for Brentford.