2023/24 Sean Dyche

I think a lot of us felt less of a threat of relegation after we saw how bad some of the promoted teams were. Takes the pressure off.
Promoted teams are usually bad. Burnley were only a season down and everyone was gushing over Kompany. Think people thought they could surprise people, and many on here thought he was a better choice than Dyche.
Sheff Utd have premier league experience , albeit relegation fodder each time. Luton looked the bankers to go straight down. I don’t see the ones coming up being much different. Fulham’s, palaces, Brentford’s, wolves, could get pulled in every year or go the other way.
Most seasons are repetitive, always a surprise package, always an under performing top 6.
A steady season, without undue stress from points deduction and finishing 13-14 would be just what the doctor ordered.
Move to a new stadium. Get purchased by a megalomaniac and start the ten year process again.

We’d be 2 points off wolves and Brighton have a game in hand. We’d be 14th without the points deduction, I do think this team/squad should be 16th at worst and we should be close to palace and Brentford, considering Brentford have been using a striker we deemed not good enough.

Dyche is getting credit for being a better manager than Lampard, which isn’t difficult. I’m not fan of dyche, but fair play for turning around That awful run of form. But for me the game and premier league have changed , it may come back around , where managers who look to sit in and counter or play for set pieces. But at the moment it’s all about attacking and scoring goals. Even the likes of Jose, conte struggled with that style, with much better squads.
I don’t think dyche is going to be a long option, well not for me
It's fairplay to get us back into a position that's realistic. Palace, Brenford, Fulham this our level at the brief and current snapshot. Hopefully it will be West Ham, Villa and Newcastle to compete with a few years in BMD. Performances like against LFC have rather been the exception than the regularity. Deserves to keep the job at the moment, but long term not. I estimate we will get between 4-7points in the remaining games.

I think our defense is the best part of the squad. Dyche mostly made them look quite good in his career, but also at the expense of the attack at open play. In addition to that our lack of scoring goals have been a problem since Big Sam, expect once going over 50.

Like you say the squad is definitely limited in possession, some due to tactics and some due to the players we have. We got to replace both in the long term. José, Conté won titles here, but their style mostly ended in a decline after 2-3 seasons.

Last edited:
Did anyone watch Brighton last night vs City playing lovely triangles in their own box, playing 26 passes and not getting out of there own half? We are told now that this is proper football? Not for me, it was stupid and pointless the only way that stuff works is if you have world class forwards. I have no interest in watching my team play 30 passes in our own half, give me Wednesday night anytime.
if your business plan is to sell players to the top teams in Europe, the players need to be in the shop window playing a similar style of possession based football.
They know they aren’t ever going to challenge for trophies.
Equally our business plan is not getting relegated and not investing in the squad. Therefore that dictates that we set up not to lose and hope we can snatch a chance. Needs must

We played actually coherently well and with a plan from the start for the 1st time this year and people have instantly forgotten the last 5 months and want him in for good/long term.

lol
A bad plan is also a plan. Mostly easy to find out for opponent.

I would say games against Chelsea, Bmouth and Newcastle home have been good as well, Burnley away maybe, but it's defo a rare thing to see.

Did anyone watch Brighton last night vs City playing lovely triangles in there own box, playing 26 passes and not getting out of there own half? We are told now that this is proper football? Not for me, it was stupid and pointless the only way that stuff works is if you have world class forwards. I have no interest in watching my team play 30 passes in our own half, give me Wednesday night anytime.

The difference is Brighton have no intention of competing. None. They exist as a feeder club to the top teams. Their club knows it, their fans know it, and every player who arrived there knows it, also so does every manager they have. Every single person at that club has an eye on going somewhere else.

Everton want to compete but are just utterly abysmal at it. The answer is not though to become a professional feeder club as a model. The answer is to improve, whether that be quickly under new owners or gradually following something like what Moyes did.

The day we become Brighton though means we don’t even get players like Cahill Baines Gueye Richarlison etc. who have provided at least some loyalty and good moments in amongst bad times. Brighton are lucky to hold onto any good player longer than 2 seasons.

The difference is Brighton have no intention of competing. None. They exist as a feeder club to the top teams. Their club knows it, their fans know it, and every player who arrived there knows it, also so does every manager they have. Every single person at that club has an eye on going somewhere else.

Everton want to compete but are just utterly abysmal at it. The answer is not though to become a professional feeder club as a model. The answer is to improve, whether that be quickly under new owners or gradually following something like what Moyes did.

The day we become Brighton though means we don’t even get players like Cahill Baines Gueye Richarlison etc. who have provided at least some loyalty and good moments in amongst bad times. Brighton are lucky to hold onto any good player longer than 2 seasons.
It's probably the reality.

You can go a Watford way and sack manager every 7th game.

Or accept you're a yo-yo club like Burnley and also keep a manager for long-time to also go down with him. Did with Dyche and probably also Kompany. Happy to be in the 1st level for a certain time, but also not angry to go up and down constantly.

if your business plan is to sell players to the top teams in Europe, the players need to be in the shop window playing a similar style of possession based football.
They know they aren’t ever going to challenge for trophies.
Equally our business plan is not getting relegated and not investing in the squad. Therefore that dictates that we set up not to lose and hope we can snatch a chance. Needs must
I see your point, but one criticism of De Zerbi is that he makes the players dependent on practiced patterns. Therefore, it is more the patterns that speak, than it is the player. I would be quite skeptical about buying players from Brighton. Now this does not only apply to Brighton, but in such a machinery it is difficult to know the real qualities of the players.

It's probably the reality.

You can go a Watford way and sack manager every 7th game.

Or accept you're a yo-yo club like Burnley and also keep a manager for long-time to also go down with him. Did with Dyche and probably also Kompany. Happy to be in the 1st level for a certain time, but also not angry to go up and down constantly.

The Brighton model is a great model to get your club ahead of most others, but by its very nature it will never allow you in the elite ever. Newcastle will overtake them easily. Villa probably also. If we had anything about us we would.

If De Zerbi goes in the summer and they sell Mitoma they’re one bad managerial appointment or injury crisis away from being back in a relegation battle.

I see your point, but one criticism of De Zerbi is that he makes the players dependent on practiced patterns. Therefore, it is more the patterns that speak, than it is the player. I would be quite skeptical about buying players from Brighton. Now this does not only apply to Brighton, but in such a machinery it is difficult to know the real qualities of the players.
I guess it’s tactical awareness. Pep teams are all about patterns. Not sure Dyche would care…

The Brighton model is a great model to get your club ahead of most others, but by its very nature it will never allow you in the elite ever. Newcastle will overtake them easily. Villa probably also. If we had anything about us we would.

If De Zerbi goes in the summer and they sell Mitoma they’re one bad managerial appointment or injury crisis away from being back in a relegation battle.
Brighton have had an injury crisis this season and haven't been in a relegation battle I don't think they are that bothered if RDZ goes this summer either, his methods are starting to frustrate some on the south coast and he is another one who it seems 'it's never his fault' but hey that's what you get for £1.5m a year.

I see that they can go a similiar way to Southampton this is a risk. Atm they are swimming in money, they can invest a lot to become a European good team or further keep their strategy and trying to keep their level as mid-table team.

Naturally, Everton, Villa and Newcastle are have bigger financial possibilities with a few years in only by infrastructure. Teams like Brighton and Bournemouth can compensate with a perfect word atm, but can't keep unless generating and hoping the replacements will work 90%.

Brighton have had an injury crisis this season and haven't been in a relegation battle I don't think they are that bothered about if RDZ goes this summer either, his methods are starting to frustrate some on the south coast and he is another one who it seems 'it's never his fault' but hey that's what you get for £1.5m a year.
Tbf, it's a little bit like Dyche that he only has one game plan that can be brilliant to watch if it works in contrary to Dyche, but seems like a passenger as well when it doesn't work. Don't see the top manager in him atm, better than Dyche of course or at least more potential.

Brighton have had an injury crisis this season and haven't been in a relegation battle I don't think they are that bothered if RDZ goes this summer either, his methods are starting to frustrate some on the south coast and he is another one who it seems 'it's never his fault' but hey that's what you get for £1.5m a year.

This is what I was saying last season though when people were bemoaning how Brighton had gone so far ahead of us. A couple of bad transfers or an injury crisis and they’d be bottom half. Thats where they now are. There’s no obvious successors yet to Caicedo Trossard Bissouma Ben White McCallister Cucurella. They’ve had a few injuries to Mitoma and Ferguson and have found very quickly they’re relying on players like Welbeck Lallana Milner who aren’t good enough any more.

If De Zerbi goes they will need a new manager who faces a huge task of taking a bottom half team back into the top 6 just to even draw level with where they were.

This is what I was saying last season though when people were bemoaning how Brighton had gone so far ahead of us. A couple of bad transfers or an injury crisis and they’d be bottom half. Thats where they now are. There’s no obvious successors yet to Caicedo Trossard Bissouma Ben White McCallister Cucurella. They’ve had a few injuries to Mitoma and Ferguson and have found very quickly they’re relying on players like Welbeck Lallana Milner who aren’t good enough any more.

If De Zerbi goes they will need a new manager who faces a huge task of taking a bottom half team back into the top 6 just to even draw level with where they were.
In my personal opinion, you see Newcastle getting 4th with a few new transfers, but also a lot of players that were in a relegation battle 3 years ago. It was overachieving and of course fan bases are reactionary as Newcastle seems a bit inconsistent this season, but still probably finish top 7. I would say this would a good season still.

This season a lot of players injured, also players that carried that team last season are out for weeks/months. For me this has been a good achievement or and for me is even to getting 4th given the circumstances.