2021/22 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Had some good games this season. A club icon and deserves lifetime recognition from the club. But his best days are behind him now and should be no more than a last choice back up now if the club have ambitions to move forward.

I think we need an established right back next season and Patterson to learn his trade behind that new signing.

Its scary to think he played in a back line of jagielka baines and distin. Feels like a lifetime ago.
I love a bit of sentiment but its time.
He's got another year here. Our other RB is a lad with 28 senior club games, 27 in Scotland, to his name, who is 20 and coming back from injury.

So he stays, but Patterson should be the first choice for most of the matches.

We needed a replacement way before January 2022, Coleman himself requested for the past 3 seasons that they find a replacement for him as a matter of urgency as physically. The club's recruitment has failed him.
I agree, but that replacement is now here so we focus on getting Patterson fit and then in the team with Seamus as back up and club captain.

He's got another year here. Our other RB is a lad with 28 senior club games, 27 in Scotland, to his name, who is 20 and coming back from injury.

There is nothing to suggest that Frank even rates Patterson its not his player, in the past weeks we have been linked with other RB. Need to wait and see what happens imo. Hopefully he does get a chance but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

I should have clarified stayed. Not first choice. We cant be 61 goals against and seriously expect to be climbing the table again.

He is in the team because he is the last remaining true Evertonian in the squad who has any sort of leadership skills. It is not for his football ability and he has made so many mistakes this season which makes it hard to be credible to the other players.

For example, when they see him make a mistake and then he tries to tell them what to do, how can they think anything else but "sort yourself out first"?

So the question is, who can take on that mantle of being a proper Evertonian captain and leader on the pitch?
Making mistakes is unfortunate and happens, it is different to being able to spot danger and organise team mates.

Patterson will hopefully take Colemans place and hit the levels of Coleman of old. Coleman should stay on as a squad player for team moral, but we definitely need another player to man up and take responsibility on the pitch.

Toms Davies? But will he start enough if we get new midfielders.
We’re most like looking to Godfrey to step up

Yes, it was reported earlier this season. Basically told them he didn't think his body could take playing week in week out. Which we all knew.
I mean, what else can you say? His up and down performances aren't really on him. And I'll happily wager each error or performance which dipped below standards weighed heavily on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.