2020/21 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha he’s a vampire, I absolutely love him you know. Brilliant professional, a loyal servant to the club and based off a few things I’ve heard about him when I lived in Ireland and from a fella that knows him I. The club a lovely lad. Honestly hope he comes into the coaching staff at us when his career comes to an end. Excellent ambassador and his attitude is a great example to any younger player coming through the ranks.

Great post.

I'd love to know what he said to the best midfielder in the world immediately after Siggy's pen.

He was already striding over to him as Siggy was making his run up so he was obviously confident he was going to score.

Camera shot changed just as he got there but lt looked like he was about to give him a right verbal

....I don’t think anybody would disagree that we need a new RB, but as far as I’m concerned Coleman still offers more than Holgate and will be a decent back-up when the new bloke comes in.

.....top professional, top bloke, top human being, top Evertonian and as I keep saying, still a very decent footballer to have around.

Clearly respected within the game (very highly talked of by all connected with the Ireland international team), I can see him staying in football in some capacity when his boots are hung up.

Had a job to do , basically to stop Robertson amd help Holgate with mane. And did it well.
Thankfully the sitter he missed didn’t cost us.

But when we play Southampton next week amd he will be expected to help from an attacking point of view, like the modern RB. He will let us down. He will play the ball back constantly, lose possession, the odd forwards passes he tries will go astray
. And poor final ball/crosses

Great result last night. But we’ve had less possession than our opponents on average this season. Amd you can’t expect to challenge at the top like that.

To improve that we need better technical footballers. And that means replacing Coleman ASAP

I said after Fulham and maintain, as a 1st choice starting right back, I think he's done.

In terms of being a squad player, for me he's got a role to play in and around the group. We have a manager who appreciates experience and know how and Coleman has that in buckets. The fact Carlo is smart enough to do something unique- like man mark a left back shows the manager he is. He choose the perfect person to do it, and in honesty I don't think Robertson had a kick in the derby.

The 1st derby, in honesty we couldn't get near them on their left for 20 minutes. So it's a huge turnaround. It's a huge shame that header didn't go in, and in fairness he didn't do a lot wrong, he through himself at it, looked to head it down and hit the target, but it's a wonderful save.

He's not someone who you would play every week, but could be someone you drop in, periodically and also a good help for injuries.

Contract expires in 2022, so hes got a year left.

He could be a utility player at RCB (in a 3), RB (if deep) and RM.

Ancelotti seems to like him and the leadership he brings so if hes used sparingly then brought on for 10-20mins in some games then no problem for me.

@Eggs you're way off piste on him starting over Holgate :)

We seemed to almost have people in half positions (I'm sure there is a more technical term, but I'll use that one). Holgate was somewhere between a right back and a Centre back. Coleman was somewhere between a midfielder and a wing back, where Digne was between a left back and a wing back. Gomes was between a central midfielder and a left midfield player in a 4. In truth the only one who struggled with it was Gomes. In truth I thought Sigurdsson actually played the role much better when he came on, and seemed to "have his head" around it. But theissue with him is legs, so again it was smart to get 65 minutes running out of Gomes.

I think I said into the lead up to this game, Carlo will try something different, it may work, it may not. He won't just send out the same team to lose again. I think overall this is very good. Lets be honest, under previous managers, we would still be playing the same way we did against Newcastle away and would have bombed. The only criticism I would make of him, is that we moved away from 4 CB's too early. I'm sure he had his reasons, but we broke what worked for me a bit too quickly.

I could see us keeping the shape we played with for a while yet though. Godfrey and Holgate generally stay fit, and he can rotate Keane/Mina if he needs too. I actually think Iwobi woukd really suit the role Coleman played in certain games (though he went and played in the 2 at times). It will allow us to rotate Richarlinson/James/DCL. Coleman could even fill in in Holgate's position in certain games too.

As for Coleman, I thought he did very well. The manager recognised the threat Robertson/Mane gave to us. The real risk in a back 3 is who marks the wide forward. He made that easy and put it on Holgate, and allowed Coleman to focus on Robertson. He's a real compititor, quite quick and is an honest pro. He didn't give Robertson a kick.

He's quite an intelligent and versatile player, which you can see Ancelotti likes. It's why I think he values Sigurdsson too, he can put him a variety of positions.

The system we used yesterday, I'll be frank, completely flummoxed Klopp and Liverpool and I don't think they really had any answer to it.

Digne would be best as a wing back
Godfrey/Holgate are best as centre backs
Keane and Mina need pace around them

The 3 at the back, on paper has looked perfect all season but you cant play both Keane / Mina as then the system lacks pace.

If we go with this setup moving forward then players like Coleman / Digne / Branthwaite can play the wider centre back positions if/when needed.

However, unless its a formation for the odd occasion we'd need to strengthen the defence because the system would collapse without Godfreys or Holgates pace if they were replaced with Coleman/Branthwaite for example.

Contract expires in 2022, so hes got a year left.

He could be a utility player at RCB (in a 3), RB (if deep) and RM.

Ancelotti seems to like him and the leadership he brings so if hes used sparingly then brought on for 10-20mins in some games then no problem for me.

@Eggs you're way off piste on him starting over Holgate :)

Digne would be best as a wing back
Godfrey/Holgate are best as centre backs
Keane and Mina need pace around them

The 3 at the back, on paper has looked perfect all season but you cant play both Keane / Mina as then the system lacks pace.

If we go with this setup moving forward then players like Coleman / Digne / Branthwaite can play the wider centre back positions if/when needed.

However, unless its a formation for the odd occasion we'd need to strengthen the defence because the system would collapse without Godfreys or Holgates pace if they were replaced with Coleman/Branthwaite for example.

We're winding that contract down unless Coleman fancies a retirement league payday, which doesn't seem like him.

@Eggs is WUMming, I think.

We're probably going two at the back as the regular plan for the reasons you describe, with one of Mina or Keane to be sold to help fund Ancelotti's upgrades elsewhere. Branthwaite is likely to provide sufficient cover.

We're winding that contract down unless Coleman fancies a retirement league payday, which doesn't seem like him.

@Eggs is WUMming, I think.

We're probably going two at the back as the regular plan for the reasons you describe, with one of Mina or Keane to be sold to help fund Ancelotti's upgrades elsewhere. Branthwaite is likely to provide sufficient cover.

...I’m not actually. I‘m of a view that we need a new RB but also of a view that Coleman still has plenty to offer. There will be times when the manager wants to play with his 4 CBs across the back, but Coleman is still the best conventional RB at the club.

...I’m not actually. I‘m of a view that we need a new RB but also of a view that Coleman still has plenty to offer. There will be times when the manager wants to play with his 4 CBs across the back, but Coleman is still the best conventional RB at the club.

Still feeling the after effects of the derby drinking I see ;)

In a 4 I think Holgate/Godfrey are the best RB but are both better at Centre Back alongside either Keane or Mina. In a 3/5 at the back Coleman is probably the best RWB but Iwobi might be a better option if we are expected to attack. I think he's earned seeing the last year of his contract out and hopefully he can either become a coach or maybe get one last pay day as a player as he will still have something to offer even if its not at the level required here.

Still feeling the after effects of the derby drinking I see ;)

...ha, ha.

My benchmark is who would I least like playing against. I can stand Holgate up and know I can go past him whereas Coleman is much sharper from a standing start. Once I’m past Holgate, I know I’m clear whereas Coleman is more of a terrier and can match the run. Most significantly, Holgate won’t cross the half-way line so won’t hurt me in the least from that perspective, whereas I’ll have to be on my toes for 90mins with Coleman.

Holgate was terrific in the Derby, I don’t dislike the lad in the least and I have no concerns about his attitude but I do about his quality. We need a new modern day RB who offers similar from the right as Digne offers from the left. When we get one, I’m more than happy having Coleman as back-up for a little while yet.

Games have suited him recently where we have had to be resilient and all he has to do is be dogged. In games where we will inevitably be on top , his limitations will come to the forefront pretty quickly. Shocking miss from the header but credit for his resilience
Can't agree that it was a shocking miss - it was powerful and in target with a world class save.

If I were a rs I'm sure I'd be calling it an 'idea goals.

I think it's harsh to say he should have scored. It was an absolutely beautiful cross but he's a right back not a striker so did well to get his head to it and get it on target. Not sure it was a world class save, you'd have to ask the keeper questions if he hadn't saved it. Coleman stood up the other night and did a cracking captains job. Can't help but love the lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.