2020/21 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunate the fans see it but Brands sits on his hands.
It predates Brands.

Cahill, Howard, Neville, Jags, Baines, Coleman, even as far back as Dunc... All stayed at least 3 years too long.

Genuinely believe that most of it in the past was down to Blue Bill and Moyes looking after their favourites with fat extended contracts well into their mid 30s.

Hopefully a thing of the past now.

@electricblue middle finger?....Sir or Madam,My flabber is well and truly gaste

It predates Brands.

Cahill, Howard, Neville, Jags, Baines, Coleman, even as far back as Dunc... All stayed at least 3 years too long.

Genuinely believe that most of it in the past was down to Blue Bill and Moyes looking after their favourites with fat extended contracts well into their mid 30s.

And it's more than a coincidence that Moyes, himself, stayed three years too long - and Kenwright overstayed his own welcome by a good quarter of a century.

It predates Brands.

This window will tell us a lot.

It predates Brands.

Even before then. Sharpie, Reidy, Waggy etc. All got pelters playing past their best and weren't replaced in due time with equivalent quality.

Poor and negligent management from the top down.

He’s a great pro, a good player, but we need an upgrade long term. He would be a great back up but he might want more football. We need European football to accomodate that.

He just needs to back himself more, which he was doing at the start of the season. Run with the ball, stop chopping back. If not, he's next to useless.
At one point he did do it against West Ham and it got us in their box though the final ball was missing, but it was only that one time. If he doesn't, we might as well go back to playing a CB there.

He just needs to back himself more, which he was doing at the start of the season. Run with the ball, stop chopping back. If not, he's next to useless.
Don’t think he’s got the speed anymore.

When he was at his peak, I never thought he was a great technical player. It was his desire, determination and speed that got him into dangerous positions. Even in them days his final ball wasn’t great, it always seemed to me, to be a blast across box and hope for the best, no composure or panache.

Now he’s lost that speed and he hasn’t got the legs to go up and down, He’s just a very average RB. Still can do a decent defensive job, but going forward he’s one of the worst in the league.

At one point he did do it against West Ham and it got us in their box though the final ball was missing, but it was only that one time. If he doesn't, we might as well go back to playing a CB there.

Yep. We look more balanced there with two CBs rather than Coleman and Godfrey, tbh.

He just frustrated me by putting the breaks on. There was no need.

Don’t think he’s got the speed anymore.

When he was at his peak, I never thought he was a great technical player. It was his desire, determination and speed that got him into dangerous positions. Even in them days his final ball wasn’t great, it always seemed to me, to be a blast across box and hope for the best, no composure or panache.

Now he’s lost that speed and he hasn’t got the legs to go up and down, He’s just a very average RB. Still can do a decent defensive job, but going forward he’s one of the worst in the league.

You say that but look at the one time he got in yesterday - just went for it and it opened up, poor shot but at least it was something. Needs to be doing that 5-6 times a half. Start of the season he was doing it plenty of times too - that Palace goal springs to mind. There was also a moment yesterday where he did carry on and got onto a loose ball, lobbed a decent cross into the six-yard box but Dom and Docuoure both went to the same spot, with nobody actually standing where the ball landed.

I don't think the system helped and it's definitely a factor that he probably thinks - as you say - that he needs to be a bit more cautious. But he rarely gets outpaced one v one, it's more about him probably not having the stamina to get back or worrying about pulling something, which is understandable.

We need a new, powerful right-back, we know that. We didn't help ourselves yesterday by focusing 45% (I checked the stats) of our attacks down that side - totally lopsided. Having Digne in definitely helps Seamus because there's more balance, but when it's just Coleman then the onus is on him to attack and he wasn't up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.