Homepage Update: Scared of the Change, Lad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Dolan

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
Michael Dolan submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

Scared of the Change, Lad?
barkley-1024x442.jpg

So... the window is closed. Some good faces have come in and a couple I liked have gone.

But one face in particular has caught my attention and it is that of Ross Barkley.

Here is a player I very much like. Don't get me wrong - he is far from perfect, but the things he lacks can be coached and learnt. You can't learn a good first touch, a 40-yard pass or how to go past an opponent as if he were an amateur. People will argue that he gives the ball away too much, or that he lacks in "productivity,” but I challenge anyone: for every time you think he's cost Everton a win, I'll give you three when he won it for us.

However, I had come to terms with the fact that he would be leaving. It is a shame to see one of your own exit the club – especially when he's got this kind of ability – but that was the decision all parties seemed to have taken.

So, imagine my surprise when I awoke Friday morning to discover that Ross Barkley was still an Everton player.

Now, this really is an odd situation. Barkley had made it clear he saw his future away from Goodison. Some papers have speculated that he wants a pay increase and some that it’s about Champions League football. The truth is that he would probably like both.

Step up, Antonio Conte!

£30 odd million and the deal is done. A simply ludicrous sum of money for a player with one year left on his contract who is yet to truly prove himself. And yet… se queda!

But why? Isn’t this exactly what he was pushing for? The champions want him and they’re presumably going to chuck a load of cash at him every week for the privilege.

My gut is (and has been all along) that he has never wanted to truly leave Everton. People sometimes forget what is involved in moving to the other end of the country. Footballers may be immune from some of life’s drags, but not all of them. Scared of the change, lad? Maybe…

I have found myself in a similar position to Ross before. I was in a job where I felt underappreciated and undervalued. I gave an ultimatum to my boss and he called me on it. This leaves you with two choices: you can stick to your guns and take whatever comes next, or you can bottle it and get back to work. The latter seems to have won the day on this occasion.

So what does Koeman do now? Are we really going to let him walk away for nothing in twelve months’ time? Here the manager really needs to step up and handle the situation. My belief is that he will sign a contract if he can be convinced that he is truly wanted.

And why shouldn’t we want him? I’ve heard many people say, “Let him go – he’s not that good anyway.” But they’re only thinking short-term. If our aim is to finish in the top six this season, then the likes of Sigurdsson may be our best option. But, if our aim is to win the league in the next ten years (and why not? Just look at Manchester City and Leicester a decade ago…), then I struggle to see how holding onto a good player, still five years off his best, is a bad idea.

Ronald, get him signed up, get him fit and get him on the pitch so we can see him become the player he should be.

Onwards, Evertonians…

Like your optimism but Barkley might as well see out his contract now and collect lots of lovely Wonga that would have been an element of his transfer fee in July.

He'll sign a pre-contract with Spurs in January and Koeman will make him train & play with the reserves/U23s

Like your optimism but Barkley might as well see out his contract now and collect lots of lovely Wonga that would have been an element of his transfer fee in July.

He'll sign a pre-contract with Spurs in January and Koeman will make him train & play with the reserves/U23s
Or he will play and stay, no one knows.

Na, bridges burnt for me. He's an idiot for wanting out in the first place.
You have no idea why he did want out though, could be any number of things making someone want to leave their boyhood club. One thing for sure, it isn't money.

Prefer if he was the forgotten man until he finally does one, seems more concerned with getting a move to Spurs more than anything.

What's the point in having someone around who doesn't want to be here ? So just tell him to train with the u18's till it's time we walks.

For those who still think Ross should stay just remember he has decided to turn down a almost double your pay new contract only to turn it down to go to Spurs for less money.

Boyhood blue my a&se

Michael Dolan submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

Scared of the Change, Lad?
barkley-1024x442.jpg

So... the window is closed. Some good faces have come in and a couple I liked have gone.

But one face in particular has caught my attention and it is that of Ross Barkley.

Here is a player I very much like. Don't get me wrong - he is far from perfect, but the things he lacks can be coached and learnt. You can't learn a good first touch, a 40-yard pass or how to go past an opponent as if he were an amateur. People will argue that he gives the ball away too much, or that he lacks in "productivity,” but I challenge anyone: for every time you think he's cost Everton a win, I'll give you three when he won it for us.

However, I had come to terms with the fact that he would be leaving. It is a shame to see one of your own exit the club – especially when he's got this kind of ability – but that was the decision all parties seemed to have taken.

So, imagine my surprise when I awoke Friday morning to discover that Ross Barkley was still an Everton player.

Now, this really is an odd situation. Barkley had made it clear he saw his future away from Goodison. Some papers have speculated that he wants a pay increase and some that it’s about Champions League football. The truth is that he would probably like both.

Step up, Antonio Conte!

£30 odd million and the deal is done. A simply ludicrous sum of money for a player with one year left on his contract who is yet to truly prove himself. And yet… se queda!

But why? Isn’t this exactly what he was pushing for? The champions want him and they’re presumably going to chuck a load of cash at him every week for the privilege.

My gut is (and has been all along) that he has never wanted to truly leave Everton. People sometimes forget what is involved in moving to the other end of the country. Footballers may be immune from some of life’s drags, but not all of them. Scared of the change, lad? Maybe…

I have found myself in a similar position to Ross before. I was in a job where I felt underappreciated and undervalued. I gave an ultimatum to my boss and he called me on it. This leaves you with two choices: you can stick to your guns and take whatever comes next, or you can bottle it and get back to work. The latter seems to have won the day on this occasion.

So what does Koeman do now? Are we really going to let him walk away for nothing in twelve months’ time? Here the manager really needs to step up and handle the situation. My belief is that he will sign a contract if he can be convinced that he is truly wanted.

And why shouldn’t we want him? I’ve heard many people say, “Let him go – he’s not that good anyway.” But they’re only thinking short-term. If our aim is to finish in the top six this season, then the likes of Sigurdsson may be our best option. But, if our aim is to win the league in the next ten years (and why not? Just look at Manchester City and Leicester a decade ago…), then I struggle to see how holding onto a good player, still five years off his best, is a bad idea.

Ronald, get him signed up, get him fit and get him on the pitch so we can see him become the player he should be.

Onwards, Evertonians…

Nah.

SELL.

Prefer if he was the forgotten man until he finally does one, seems more concerned with getting a move to Spurs more than anything.

What's the point in having someone around who doesn't want to be here ? So just tell him to train with the u18's till it's time we walks.

For those who still think Ross should stay just remember he has decided to turn down a almost double your pay new contract only to turn it down to go to Spurs for less money.

Boyhood blue my a&se

Mate, it is not that back and white, there is an underlying reason why he is not happy. You do not just stop supporting your boyhood team over night.

i'm curious what you did in your situation - stick to your guns or bottle it?

No way Koeman should beg him to stay.
IF he would like another shot at playing for 'his' club then HE should go down on bended knees and beg Koeman for another chance.
Swallow your pride Ross. IF you can convince the club that your mind is right you MAY still have a future here
Buckle down and work hard Ross and you might, just MIGHT, become the Everton hero you apparently dreamt of becoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.